Bradley Central @ Mcminn County

SouthernBear

Over 100 years of bad blood between the two schools on the gridiron. Although BC has two in-town rivalries, Mcminn recognizes BC as their biggest rival. Super excited to see the Bears very talented team in full action. Mcminn will have to run the ball effectively and stay away from too much 3rd and long to keep it close. Coach Cagle will do his best to keep this one close, but I don't see this being much of a contest in 4th quarter. Bears will be too much for MC, as long as those Athens zebras don't get too involved.

Bears win 35-10

3 minutes ago, SouthernBear said:

Over 100 years of bad blood between the two schools on the gridiron. Although BC has two in-town rivalries, Mcminn recognizes BC as their biggest rival. Super excited to see the Bears very talented team in full action. Mcminn will have to run the ball effectively and stay away from too much 3rd and long to keep it close. Coach Cagle will do his best to keep this one close, but I don't see this being much of a contest in 4th quarter. Bears will be too much for MC, as long as those Athens zebras don't get too involved.

Bears win 35-10

I think they recognize bears as the oldest rival, but biggest rival would be mcminn central, they are just taking a break. I don't really see it being close with bradley soft recruiting. 

Bradley Central and McMinn County have played continuously since the 1927 season, 96 consecutive years. This is the 2nd longest continuous rivalry in the state. Rockwood and Harriman hold the longest streak since 1924, 99 years. The Bears lead the series with the Cherokees 55-41-3. This will be the 100th game. They have played twice in 3 different seasons. 

Marion County/South Pittsburg had the longest streak until 2020 when they had a slight dispute and have not played since. 

1 hour ago, baconbreath said:

Bradley Central and McMinn County have played continuously since the 1927 season, 96 consecutive years. This is the 2nd longest continuous rivalry in the state. Rockwood and Harriman hold the longest streak since 1924, 99 years. The Bears lead the series with the Cherokees 55-41-3. This will be the 100th game. They have played twice in 3 different seasons. 

Marion County/South Pittsburg had the longest streak until 2020 when they had a slight dispute and have not played since. 

I thought they played before 1924, just not continously 

On 8/15/2023 at 2:19 PM, RichyRich said:

I thought they played before 1924, just not continously 

They did not have an official game until 1927 between the schools since MCHS didn't start playing football as MCHS until 1927 according to the historians at MCHS.  Bradley Central played a game in 1916 against U.S. Grant University which later became Tennessee Wesleyan College/University around 1920. Some folks consider that as a game between the two schools but it was not an official game. It is referred in newspapers of that era as a game between the Cleveland school and McMinn County but it was more of a game between groups from the two towns. BCHS' first game was in 1916 with Tyner. BCHS was known at that time as Central High School when it first opened in 1916. 

4 hours ago, baconbreath said:

They did not have an official game until 1927 between the schools since MCHS didn't start playing football as MCHS until 1927 according to the historians at MCHS.  Bradley Central played a game in 1916 against U.S. Grant University which later became Tennessee Wesleyan College/University around 1920. Some folks consider that as a game between the two schools but it was not an official game. It is referred in newspapers of that era as a game between the Cleveland school and McMinn County but it was more of a game between groups from the two towns. BCHS' first game was in 1916 with Tyner. BCHS was known at that time as Central High School when it first opened in 1916. 

Okay thank you! Yeah I definetly saw a game listed somewhere as 1916 so it must have been what you was referring too still a crazy amount of time to play! Especially constiently. Don't see them ever put this game to a halt, but I said same thing about mcminn vs mcminn central, just had become way to one sided 

On 8/14/2023 at 8:56 PM, SouthernBear said:

Bears win 35-10

Hey SoutherBear Bradley uses the same officiating association that McMinn uses. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, AmericanSniper said:

Hey SoutherBear Bradley uses the same officiating association that McMinn uses. 

Thanks for informing me AmericanSniper. I did know they have the same association. I also know that I’ve watched countless games at MCHS against many different opponents. Every high school officiating crew in East TN is garbage, but something about traveling to Athens seems to always play more of a factor than simply playing on the road. 

On 8/17/2023 at 1:26 PM, RichyRich said:

Okay thank you! Yeah I definetly saw a game listed somewhere as 1916 so it must have been what you was referring too still a crazy amount of time to play! Especially constiently. Don't see them ever put this game to a halt, but I said same thing about mcminn vs mcminn central, just had become way to one sided 

The biggest downfall for the MC vs. McMinn game is the fact that McMinn usually put a beating on the boys in blue.  Although there have been some good games in the past, it is just a tough one for the smaller school.  I have said it before, especially playing them first, it sets the tone for the season.  The kids work their tales off all summer, just to take a pounding.  Sometimes it turns into players not believing in their coaches.  Plus, having to hear all the other stuff year around is kinda crazy too.  Really it just, for the most part, turned into a beat down for the Chargers and a tune up for the Cherokees.  I am good with all the other sports playing, but football, depth becomes the issue.  I know their are many other thoughts on this subject, and I see both sides.  This is just my take.

4 minutes ago, logcabinman said:

The biggest downfall for the MC vs. McMinn game is the fact that McMinn usually put a beating on the boys in blue.  Although there have been some good games in the past, it is just a tough one for the smaller school.  I have said it before, especially playing them first, it sets the tone for the season.  The kids work their tales off all summer, just to take a pounding.  Sometimes it turns into players not believing in their coaches.  Plus, having to hear all the other stuff year around is kinda crazy too.  Really it just, for the most part, turned into a beat down for the Chargers and a tune up for the Cherokees.  I am good with all the other sports playing, but football, depth becomes the issue.  I know their are many other thoughts on this subject, and I see both sides.  This is just my take.

No logical reason for Central to continue playing that game. 

1 hour ago, logcabinman said:

I totally agree with your statement  logcabinman, I always thought the game was to one sided back In 70s&80s it was a little different, I will miss the ole black and blue games, some of my favorite memories were spent at those games.