Transfers

wssm

On 8/18/2023 at 12:03 PM, SportsTNFan said:

Agreed 100% on the staff at DB and TNWA in East Tennessee! Future is bright for that program!

To your message, NormanDad. When “opportunities open up for the kids,” how does it happen?

In this situation referenced, does a parent call Baylor to see if they can be accepted and be part of the program?

Does a Baylor coach talk to the kid who is already enrolled and on the roster of another TSSAA school? (NCAA references that as “tampering,” but not sure the TSSAA cares)

Does a Baylor Club coach set up the connection and work between the parent and high school?

It looks like the 2023-24 TSSAA season will have a record number of transfers across the state in all different sports. 

Just curious how it all plays out. (You can change out the name “Baylor,” and insert a number of schools in this situation this season, especially with the law that was passed for, “Name, Image and Likeness,” in Tennessee)

If people don't think the Baylor coaches are reaching out to kids and starting the conversation about transferring they're delusional. They most certainly are. It starts with a comment here or there, and then the conversations continue to full commitments. 

That said, personally, I think athletes need to go to a school where they are most suited to excel and continue to grow. Staying stagnant with stagnant coaches and training partners, is not going to help them in the long run.

Edited by ImYourHuckleberry
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/27/2023 at 7:38 PM, FargoStrut said:

First 2 are honest questions

Fairly certain I know the answer to the 2nd two, especially the last one!

1) What rules "if any" were broken?

2) Is this the only time this has ever happened?

3) Who do you expect to "police" these actions and enforce the consequences if there were to be any?

4) Who pays for any legal fees that are incurred during this process if someone were to challenge a decision that was made? 

**if a person or entity's answer to question #4 is "I don't know", then that MUST AND WILL be their answer to question #1 as well. Just my $.02

Well there is a rule about not having competed in a TSSAA sanctioned event the year prior. They don’t develop any varsity level kids in their middle school or club team they go get them after they win state titles and place at national tournaments. If the parents want their kid to take advantage of the national travel with the team TSSAA needs to develop a rule allowing them to do that but mandate they sit out the state title if they competed for a high school state title in TN. TSSAA isn’t keeping up with the times on boarding school wrestling or NIL much like the NCAA isn’t adapting to the portal and NIL at the speed needed to even the playing field.

54 minutes ago, Manhole said:

Well there is a rule about not having competed in a TSSAA sanctioned event the year prior. They don’t develop any varsity level kids in their middle school or club team they go get them after they win state titles and place at national tournaments. If the parents want their kid to take advantage of the national travel with the team TSSAA needs to develop a rule allowing them to do that but mandate they sit out the state title if they competed for a high school state title in TN. TSSAA isn’t keeping up with the times on boarding school wrestling or NIL much like the NCAA isn’t adapting to the portal and NIL at the speed needed to even the playing field.

TSSAA has a coaching connection rule.  If a student goes to a mini camp or summer league event or is coached by another coach in the off season, that constitutes a connection.  According to the rule,  student is required to sit out a year. 

We wanted to transfer schools until we found this rule.  Our kid was enrolled at school A with an athletic record. Kid does off-season/club stuff with school B. Wanted to transfer to school B but would have to sit out a year. We were willing to sell our house and move.  In the end,  the coach at school B, as much as he would have liked to have our kid (at a weight that he could have helped a lot) told us to stay at A. First class guy who plays by the rules.  

• Upvote 2

On 9/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, TotallynotLEO said:

TSSAA has a coaching connection rule.  If a student goes to a mini camp or summer league event or is coached by another coach in the off season, that constitutes a connection.  According to the rule,  student is required to sit out a year. 

We wanted to transfer schools until we found this rule.  Our kid was enrolled at school A with an athletic record. Kid does off-season/club stuff with school B. Wanted to transfer to school B but would have to sit out a year. We were willing to sell our house and move.  In the end,  the coach at school B, as much as he would have liked to have our kid (at a weight that he could have helped a lot) told us to stay at A. First class guy who plays by the rules.  

That rule only applies to TSSAA sanctioned sports! Freestyle and Greco are not TSSAA sanctioned sports! I think that is where most people don’t get this rule correct! 

Edited by MidwestXFER

2 hours ago, MidwestXFER said:

That rule only applies to TSSAA sanctioned sports! Freestyle and Greco are not TSSAA sanctioned sports! I think that is where most people don’t get this rule correct! 

From the rule book...

If a student with an athletic record transfers to a new school where an “athletic coaching link” existed 
in the past 12 months, that student is ineligible for 12 months past their first date of enrollment at the 
new school at all levels in the specific sports where a linkage was present. Links may include (1) 
attendance at an individual camp (and then transferring); (2) playing on non-school (independent) 
teams (and then transferring to that coach’s school);
(3) transferring into a school where a former 
coach has been hired; and (4) transferring to a school where a former or current personal trainer or 
strength and conditioning coach is employed. 
This rule does not apply if the student moves to his/her new schools after completion of the highest 
ending grade at his/her previous school. 
If the ineligible transfer student has an athletic record for the previous or current school year in any TSSAA 
sanctioned sport, the student will be ineligible to participate in the sport(s) in which an athletic record has been 
established. 

7 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

From the rule book...

If a student with an athletic record transfers to a new school where an “athletic coaching link” existed 
in the past 12 months, that student is ineligible for 12 months past their first date of enrollment at the 
new school at all levels in the specific sports where a linkage was present. Links may include (1) 
attendance at an individual camp (and then transferring); (2) playing on non-school (independent) 
teams (and then transferring to that coach’s school);
(3) transferring into a school where a former 
coach has been hired; and (4) transferring to a school where a former or current personal trainer or 
strength and conditioning coach is employed. 
This rule does not apply if the student moves to his/her new schools after completion of the highest 
ending grade at his/her previous school. 
If the ineligible transfer student has an athletic record for the previous or current school year in any TSSAA 
sanctioned sport, the student will be ineligible to participate in the sport(s) in which an athletic record has been 
established. 

That is a fascinating read, but it does not change the fact that it does not apply to non sanctioned sports! This came up years ago with outdoor and indoor volleyball. 

I don't really care,  let kids go where they want.  

But coaching a kid for an off-season tournament (Fargo) counts as a "coaching connection" by any standard.  

Are you saying that a kid can go to club wrestling ran by another schools coach and transfer there without sitting a year. That's what you're saying? The coaches don't know what they're talking about I guess.  

9 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I don't really care,  let kids go where they want.  

But coaching a kid for an off-season tournament (Fargo) counts as a "coaching connection" by any standard.  

Are you saying that a kid can go to club wrestling ran by another schools coach and transfer there without sitting a year. That's what you're saying? The coaches don't know what they're talking about I guess. 

I guess they don’t. If they were coaching folkstyle, a coaching link would exist. Freestyle and Greco are not sanctioned TSSAA sports, therefore a coaching link can not exist. A precedent was set years ago with outdoor and indoor volleyball! With a little research or even a phone call to TSSAA, you can easily verify that this is correct. There is a difference between thinking you know the rules and actually knowing what you are talking about! 

4 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Good stuff.  I'm going to reach out to TSSAA for clarification.  I actually hope you're correct.  Im in favor of letting kids transfer. 

MidwestXFER is correct, but I am also in favor of letting kids transfer if they want. I'm surprised in this day and age that rule is still around given that nowhere else in modern society has restrictions that limit a person's ability to go where they want.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JSamson7 said:

MidwestXFER is correct, but I am also in favor of letting kids transfer if they want. I'm surprised in this day and age that rule is still around given that nowhere else in modern society has restrictions that limit a person's ability to go where they want.

I'm with you here. Let the kids move and wrestle where they want to. 

People on here cry about that way too much.