Transfers

wssm

1 hour ago, BobCorker said:

I would be willing to bet that Baylor High School has more kids from their middle school than Father Ryan has from their middle school...  Father Ryan has the best recruiting set up in the state. They don't have a middle school so they just recruit the largest city in the state for kids like Tran and then charge them $50 to join their middle school team.  What a pipeline!  I bet if MBA, Baylor, and McCallie only charged $50 for middle school tuition they have great middle school clubs too! 

The few kids Baylor picked up won't make a difference this year.  They may have won 5 straight titles, but it looks like a rebuilding year for the Red Raiders.  Calling it now.  McCallie wins their first title since 1993.  Father Ryan takes 2nd followed by Lakeway and then Baylor in 4th or 5th.  

Without going back to look at results from the conference tournament and a list of proposed starters for Baylor this year, I am guessing that Baylor has no more than 1-2 kids if any that wrestled at their middle school that will be in their starting lineup this year and I coach against their middle school team every year. All of their former middle school kids may still be in the program but they're not starters.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, BobCorker said:

So Father Ryan's middle school cost $300 and MBA, Baylor, and McCallie charge $30,000 to be on their middle school team.  And you really have to ask the question on why Father Ryan has a better middle school team?  Sadly the private middle schools have priced themselves out of having a good team... Back in the 90s it cost about $4000 to attend a private middle school.  McCallie picked up the real crop of talent this year.  Word is Yost is feeling the burn and went and got himself about 12 hammers.  

Don't try to play games and refer to Nashville Catholic Youth Wrestling as Father Ryan Middle School as you know that is the farthest thing from the truth.  Everyone knows that Nashville Catholic is a 501C3 with the IRS (I also found that while fact checking your statements) and is strictly a youth wrestling club.  I would guess NCW is very similar to the Wave Club, Higher Calling, Tennessee Wrestling Academy, Big Red, Halls or Minion Training Center.

I hope that Coach Yost and McCallie do become competitive again as there was a time when they were one of the top teams in Tennessee.  McCallie is the only school in Tennessee that has the resources to compete with The Baylor School in athletics.

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

I work with many and also helped quite a few and hired a few, sorry you can think whatever you want but person to person richy-richy people are a-holes more than those that are not as well off, the funny thing is those that go for things like sports end up picking up some of those same bad habits of looking down at people. I spent a really good amount of time in ALL kinds of different schools including privates when going through for my education degree, heck even spent time in an alternative school lol. So yeah the private school kids can be real A-holes and stuck up individuals. Just like a lot of them think they are above the law when they get into trouble with the law. So yeah they can go and get a good education at Baylor, but they can get a good education at any school in the country as long as someone is willing to put the effort into it. I had the chance and spent a few days at a private school back when I was in school, transferred my happy butt back to my public school, both my kids had a chance to go to a private school, but it's just not worth the squeeze for me(of course one size doesn't fit all) but at the same time someone doesn't say that going to Baylor will make a better person out of someone or make them reach their full potential, sorry that comes from the person putting their effort into things in their life, has nothing to do where you went to school. Plain and simple if they did transfer they did it for wrestling and in the end good luck to them, but lets not pretend its for a better education, its to take advantage of a school that pours a huge amount of money into all their sports. 

This may be top three biggest L takes in the history of coachT.

You're saying because you know a few kids who are a-holes who went to private school, all private school kids are a-holes. LOL

Maybe we've forgotten here but the single best wrestler to EVER come out of our state isn't just very very well educated. He's also one of the nicest, soft spoken people I've personally ever talked to.

And he went to...wait for it....Baylor. 

Overall, I think quality of coaching is one of the more prominent things that truly separates those teams. Of course, generally speaking, the private sector has a few more resources, but from the outside, they all look the same to me regarding $. Where & how much they invest in wrestling is simply a decision they make. All those guys grab athletes that they didn't wholly develop; some just do it better than others.

I'm looking forward to seeing all these teams get better because when these teams are good, Tennessee benefits. I also think the public schools that invest the time in wrestling do just fine. Maybe they can't put 14 strong up against the more established programs but they are certainly competitive.

Honestly, I like where we are as a state because the lines between Private, Large Public, & Small Public are starting to blur a bit. For Instance, there was a post some time ago regarding Who's #1 in TN at each weight regardless of Classification; Go through that exercise with all of your biases and I bet you still end with a cross-pollination across the weight classes. TN is gonna be just fine!

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Don't try to play games and refer to Nashville Catholic Youth Wrestling as Father Ryan Middle School as you know that is the farthest thing from the truth.  Everyone knows that Nashville Catholic is a 501C3 with the IRS (I also found that while fact checking your statements) and is strictly a youth wrestling club.  I would guess NCW is very similar to the Wave Club, Higher Calling, Tennessee Wrestling Academy, Big Red, Halls or Minion Training Center.

I hope that Coach Yost and McCallie do become competitive again as there was a time when they were one of the top teams in Tennessee.  McCallie is the only school in Tennessee that has the resources to compete with The Baylor School in athletics.

Gotcha.  So I have been conflating the Nashville Catholic Club with the Father Ryan Middle School.  Where do the Nashville Catholic Club kids go to middle school?  

2 hours ago, BobCorker said:

Gotcha.  So I have been conflating the Nashville Catholic Club with the Father Ryan Middle School.  Where do the Nashville Catholic Club kids go to middle school?  

Wherever they want. Or, whatever school they are zoned for. 

Last year, a good # of FR starters came up through public schools.  

4 hours ago, Ummmno said:

This may be top three biggest L takes in the history of coachT.

You're saying because you know a few kids who are a-holes who went to private school, all private school kids are a-holes. LOL

Maybe we've forgotten here but the single best wrestler to EVER come out of our state isn't just very very well educated. He's also one of the nicest, soft spoken people I've personally ever talked to.

And he went to...wait for it....Baylor. 

Yep, known Jordan for a very long time, prob before about anyone around here since I went to church with him when they first moved into Chattanooga. But there have been plenty that live out on Lookout Mnt and even Signal that wouldn't be worth spitting on if they were on fire that went to McCallie or Baylor, heck a few I knew went to both. So yeah, quite a few out there that are just absolute a-holes, heck its much more common for them to be an a-hole with a much smaller population compared to those that went to public schools. You must have went to a private school and hate being called out for your a-hole behavior, is that it LOL.

Also by the way do you want to know the 2 best wrestlers we have had come out of TN what they have in common? Not that they went to private schools but that their dads were both COACHES and their dads are both really good guys also! But I'm not talking about the kids that go to these schools, I am talking about the adults they lots of times turn into when they grow up. Like I said, lots and lots of self entitled brats that think they hung the moon and again plenty that think they are above the law. Guess the one good thing I have seen and learned from wrestling is that it really instills so many good life lessons that can overshadow the a-holeness that comes from private school education that supposedly is so much better than that of a public school.

17 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Yep, known Jordan for a very long time, prob before about anyone around here since I went to church with him when they first moved into Chattanooga. But there have been plenty that live out on Lookout Mnt and even Signal that wouldn't be worth spitting on if they were on fire that went to McCallie or Baylor, heck a few I knew went to both. So yeah, quite a few out there that are just absolute a-holes, heck its much more common for them to be an a-hole with a much smaller population compared to those that went to public schools. You must have went to a private school and hate being called out for your a-hole behavior, is that it LOL.

Also by the way do you want to know the 2 best wrestlers we have had come out of TN what they have in common? Not that they went to private schools but that their dads were both COACHES and their dads are both really good guys also! But I'm not talking about the kids that go to these schools, I am talking about the adults they lots of times turn into when they grow up. Like I said, lots and lots of self entitled brats that think they hung the moon and again plenty that think they are above the law. Guess the one good thing I have seen and learned from wrestling is that it really instills so many good life lessons that can overshadow the a-holeness that comes from private school education that supposedly is so much better than that of a public school.

Nah, i went to a public school. Just think your opinion is quite possibly the dumbest thing ive seen on here. 

Don't backtrack now. You said ALL kids who go to private schools are a-holes and brats. Now its lots. 

• Like 1