Lebanon vs Upperman

6 minutes ago, BDURHAM said:

Maybe Upperman is an example of how money and facilities are not essential factors in developing a competitive program. If you are recruiting, they matter (in college), but I would suggest the head coach at Upperman is a major reason the team is consistently winning. Why go chase the money and bigger facilities or get upset if someone else has more buildings and turf?

Your not wrong, but a program can have both

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

I know nothing about Upperman's situation and the area, but I would seek donations from businesses, put their name on a building if you have to. That fails take out a loan. So many of these programs have improved their facilities by securing funds on their own instead of hoping for money that will never come from their school board

You can basically count the businesses in Baxter on two hands.  Everything else is in Cookeville and they don't want to offend their customer base by associating with anything Baxter related.

7 minutes ago, VictoryFormation said:

You can basically count the businesses in Baxter on two hands.  Everything else is in Cookeville and they don't want to offend their customer base by associating with anything Baxter related.

I figured as much. Hope they are able to upgrade their facilities, went to a game there once and enjoyed it

On 8/26/2023 at 11:14 AM, VictoryFormation said:

Thanks.  The history of the county's neglect of both Baxter and Monterey is almost as interesting as it is sad.  The Baxter area is growing, so the tide is slowly turning.

Very slowly but it is turning. New houses and population help, but more businesses opening and bigger tax base with be the major factor 

On 8/26/2023 at 10:54 AM, MidTennFootball said:

Your not wrong, but a program can have both

Please be more specific about how I was wrong. I am honestly curious about your reasoning. 

Lamenting the lack of more and bigger facilities when a team is on a winning path may be normal, but what is the point? Leverage winning to get bigger facilities...and for what purpose? Is the reason because a larger school across the county has bigger and better facilities?  

As I stated previously, maybe Upperman is a good example that bigger facilities are not necessary to produce a winning season. What is not true about that statement? Furthermore, I believe the head coach at Upperman is the difference maker, not the facilities. The facilities must be adequate enough to produce a successful program, right?

If the community has the means and public will to improve the facilities, more power to them. They are free to make changes.

P.S.  It's "you're..."

1 minute ago, BDURHAM said:

Please be more specific about how I was wrong. I am honestly curious about your reasoning. 

Lamenting the lack of more and bigger facilities when a team is on a winning path may be normal, but what is the point? Leverage winning to get bigger facilities...and for what purpose? Is the reason because a larger school across the county has bigger and better facilities?  

As I stated previously, maybe Upperman is a good example that bigger facilities are not necessary to produce a winning season. What is not true about that statement? Furthermore, I believe the head coach at Upperman is the difference maker, not the facilities. The facilities must be adequate enough to produce a successful program, right?

If the community has the means and public will to improve the facilities, more power to them. They are free to make changes.

P.S.  It's "you're..."

Class 4A

School                                               Record Points Prv

1. Greeneville (10)                                  1-0  193    1

2. Pearl-Cohn (10)                                   2-0    184    T3

3. Elizabethton                                       2-0    166    T3

4. Upperman (1)                                      2-0    126    7

5. Haywood County                                 2-0    101    6

6. Hardin County                                     2-0    87     8

7. Red Bank                                          1-1    71     5

8. Stone Memorial                                    2-0    67     9

9. Anderson County                                 0-2    64     2

10. Macon County                                    2-0    20     NR  

4 minutes ago, BDURHAM said:

P.S.  It's "you're..."

I never said you win bc of facilities,  but you always want the best for your program. People dont live in the same house all their lives, they want something newer, better, etc.

If Upperman wants to continue their growth as they move beyond 4A, an investment into facilities that are common in 5A and 6A will be neccessary, especially if they want to keep good coaches like Caine

P.S. Your in the wrong place if you want to be a grammar nazi

20 minutes ago, BDURHAM said:

P.S.  It's "you're..."

Way to get on the defensive so fast. He literally said you were not wrong.  But to your point, the schools out there through Tennessee that are truly at the "top", and have top notch facilities, can beat Upperman. Beating Lebanon by 10 when they are clearly on a down year proves nothing. 2023 is nothing close to last year's team. Is Upperman winning games the last few years? Certainly. But in this Century the best Upperman has done is get to the Semis. Teams that invest a lot into facilities and such? Are winning state titles.

I mean, I think what Upperman is doing is great. Good football team. But to act as though having nice facilities makes no difference is ridiculous. 

Edited by thegreatone36

4 minutes ago, thegreatone36 said:

Way to get on the defensive so fast. He literally said you were not wrong.  But to your point, the schools out there through Tennessee that are truly at the "top", and have top notch facilities, can beat Upperman. Beating Lebanon by 10 when they are clearly on a down year proves nothing. 2023 is nothing close to last year's team. Is Upperman winning games the last few years? Certainly. But in this Century the best Upperman has done is get to the Semis. Teams that invest a lot into facilities and such? Are winning state titles.

Great minds think alike