Favorites to win each class

BallIsLife1

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

Dyersburg is good and probably the number 1 team in state in AAA. They are really good. Gibson County without their best defender in Maya Turner for the day. Also most of their whole team been playing volleyball and soccer so we will get back in a groove. Lost to a really good USJ team by 1 in OT. Was our 4th and their 1st. Dyersburg it was our 2nd and their 1st. Dyersburg really good but I don't put a whole lot of value in play day scrimmages early in the year either way. Dyersburg is really good and a favorite to win a Gold Ball. Gibson County is a lot better than they played. Would love to see these two play later in the year. 

I also heard that GC was playing split squad? Didn’t know that when I made the post. I just know how good GC has been perennially and how we have struggled with them.

I know Dburg will be at the Thanksgiving Classic in Dyer. It’s on the broadcast depending on what happens with football. Of all of the places we visit GCHS is hands down my favorite in regards to the welcome and support from the school officials and fans. 

22 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I also heard that GC was playing split squad? Didn’t know that when I made the post. I just know how good GC has been perennially and how we have struggled with them.

I know Dburg will be at the Thanksgiving Classic in Dyer. It’s on the broadcast depending on what happens with football. Of all of the places we visit GCHS is hands down my favorite in regards to the welcome and support from the school officials and fans. 

We played it a little different this play day, which I liked. We only had 9 players today with Maya Turner out, so we played all our players a lot because we played 4 games. Didn't have enough to play JV.  I noticed Dyersburg subbed some too so I won't make excuses as that is the reason why we lost the game. We are trying to get some younger players in some bigger games as well. I don't think we play y'all as the Thanksgiving Tournament is already set. When you host a Tournament you have to comply with all needs and every team wants to play the best teams. We are playing Covington and South Side which will be good games for us. I wished we played y'all again though because we can play y'all better than we did. I think y'all are playing USJ and Covington based on my schedule. I wish y'all well as y'all will be really good and one of the best in the state for the next few years. Coach Strayhorn deserves to be good. Gibson County and him have always had a great relationship. He has done a whole lot for girls basketball for many years in West Tennessee. Proud for him and Dyersburg.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedDevil23 said:

I saw where Gibson County was also scheduled to play Union City today. How did UC handle the ball pressure without Amari?

Union City turned it over some but I was pretty impressed with them. They were very athletic and very good defensively. Look to be on the right track. We won in a pretty competitive game by 12 or so I think. I can't remember. We played several players as we had to because we played four games. Greenfield is going to be good in your District as well. Good looking team. I know y'all will be good so it will be a good District. Greenfield gets Alford back they will be really good. Good luck to y'all. Y'all are coming to our Christmas Tournament which looks to be a really good one. 

We scrimmaged them in 5 or 6 - 10 minute games and beat them bad last year with Amari but I was surprised too when I watched them this summer. They were very active on defense and seemed to be playing harder. I agree they look to be on the right track. It’ll be an another fun year in our district. Yes the Christmas tournament looks to be very competitive which is exactly what we need going into district play. Good luck this year. 

41 minutes ago, RedDevil23 said:

We scrimmaged them in 5 or 6 - 10 minute games and beat them bad last year with Amari but I was surprised too when I watched them this summer. They were very active on defense and seemed to be playing harder. I agree they look to be on the right track. It’ll be an another fun year in our district. Yes the Christmas tournament looks to be very competitive which is exactly what we need going into district play. Good luck this year. 

Same to you. The Christmas Tournament will be a good one. Hope y'all do well. 

Forgot to mention much but USJ is a good looking team and like Dyersburg will be around a few years. Gibson County and USJ yesterday was a classic and worth the price of admission. USJ won by 1 in OT. USJ has a lot of good young shooters to go along with Ayers. Sorry to hear about the Simpson news for Westview. Prayers to her and her family. Really good ball player. I do expect USJ and Dyersburg to be really good both with decent shots at the Gold Ball. Glad basketball season is here. Going to be some good games this year.

Edited by pioneer42

On 10/28/2023 at 5:04 PM, sportslover88 said:

That’s not saying much. Gibson County middle is down this year. Martin beat them by 20+ the other night. Martin never can seem to get Huntingdon to schedule them in middle school but it would be a good matchup I believe. 

Westview will be better after Christmas than they will be early in the season but when you put the freshman point guard with Alexander and Sims and then get Simpson and Evans back in there, they are going to be pretty tough and I think will start clicking at the right time

Huntingdon tried to get in that Weakley conference but were turned down. They took Mckenzie and West Carroll.

22 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Union City turned it over some but I was pretty impressed with them. They were very athletic and very good defensively. Look to be on the right track. We won in a pretty competitive game by 12 or so I think. I can't remember. We played several players as we had to because we played four games. Greenfield is going to be good in your District as well. Good looking team. I know y'all will be good so it will be a good District. Greenfield gets Alford back they will be really good. Good luck to y'all. Y'all are coming to our Christmas Tournament which looks to be a really good one. 

Fillies scrimmaged Union City this summer. Fillies won by 2 but it was the most physical game we played all summer. Better put on your big girl britches when you play them!

3 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

Forgot to mention much but USJ is a good looking team and like Dyersburg will be around a few years. Gibson County and USJ yesterday was a classic and worth the price of admission. USJ won by 1 in OT. USJ has a lot of good young shooters to go along with Ayers. Sorry to hear about the Simpson news for Westview. Prayers to her and her family. Really good ball player. I do expect USJ and Dyersburg to be really good both with decent shots at the Gold Ball. Glad basketball season is here. Going to be some good games this year.

Whose scrimmaging this week? Got to get my mind off the Huntingdon Milan battle Friday night!

14 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Whose scrimmaging this week? Got to get my mind off the Huntingdon Milan battle Friday night!

I do think Gibson County is going to Huntingdon this Saturday morning. Not 100% but I think that was the plan as of about 2 weeks ago. I don't know who will be there and other details.