Favorite Sports Movie?

92Dragon

1 hour ago, catswild said:

Hoosiers is my favorite sports movie and Remember the Titans is my favorite football movie. Friday Night Lights was a good movie but I enjoyed the TV version better than the movie.

I like it when they are playing big Os team from south bend, ND the little guy comes out for the foul shots. And that guy's I didn't know they grew em so small down on the farm

42 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

This will probably garner a few down votes, but Baseketball is still my all-time favorite "sports" movie.

Caddyshack, Slapshot, Major League, and Hoosiers are a few of my other favs.

Wow, how did I forget Caddyshack!  Duh.  No brainer! Quick search for famous Caddyshack quotes:

• “Now I know why tigers eat their young.” ...
  • “You'll get nothing and like it.” ...
  • “Okay, you can owe me.” ...
  • “It's in the hole! ...
  • “Oh, it looks good on you though. ...
  • “Stop thinking…let things happen…and be…the ball.” ...
  • “Well, we're waiting…” ...
  • “What are you, religious or something?”
Edited by oridgecat

34 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Wow, how did I forget Caddyshack!  Duh.  No brainer! Quick search for famous Caddyshack quotes:

• “Now I know why tigers eat their young.” ...
  • “You'll get nothing and like it.” ...
  • “Okay, you can owe me.” ...
  • “It's in the hole! ...
  • “Oh, it looks good on you though. ...
  • “Stop thinking…let things happen…and be…the ball.” ...
  • “Well, we're waiting…” ...
  • “What are you, religious or something?”

Such a quotable movie. The scene where Bill Murray is describing the time he caddied for the Dalai Lama in Tibet still cracks me up.

Pick up that blood.

You owe me one gumball machine.

8 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Such a quotable movie. The scene where Bill Murray is describing the time he caddied for the Dalai Lama in Tibet still cracks me up.

Pick up that blood.

You owe me one gumball machine.

wow.  forgot about that one.  It's like I pick up something I've never really heard or noticed before every time I watch it.  Great stuff 

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Football---Paper Lion =Hard to find a copy. Alan Alda plays George Plimpton Honorable Mention to North Dallas Forty.

Basketball--Fast Break with Gabe Kaplan and One on One with Robbie Benson. Honorable Mention to "The FIsh that Saved Pittsburg" with Julius Erving.

Baseball--Bad News Bears in Breaking Training

Hockey-Youngblood with Rob Lowe and Cynthia Gibb

Golf--Easily Caddyshack

Auto Racing-Stroker Ace

Volleyball--Side Out

Wrestling--VIsion Quest

Paper Lion was on TCM a couple of days ago, and I finally (after years) got it recorded!!! Amazing coincidence that you mentioned it within two days, after I'd been trying to catch it for so long. 

21 hours ago, RichyRich said:

I'll have to look it up, powers Booth was on red dawn (1983) wasn't he as the dude who helped train the wolverines?

Red Dawn, the greatest documentary ever made.

A lot of good movies on this list, many I have seen and forgotten about. Looks like I'll have to go searching on demand these next few days and rewatch them.

Another movie that hasn't been mentioned, probably because it wasn't great, was Youngblood. Red Dawn must have made me think of it since Patrick Swazye is in this too along with Rob Lowe as the title character.

52 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Another movie that hasn't been mentioned, probably because it wasn't great, was Youngblood. Red Dawn must have made me think of it since Patrick Swazye is in this too along with Rob Lowe as the title character.

MM76 mentioned Youngblood.

I did not see The Natural listed under any baseball movies.

4 hours ago, osunut2 said:

This will probably garner a few down votes, but Baseketball is still my all-time favorite "sports" movie.

Caddyshack, Slapshot, Major League, and Hoosiers are a few of my other favs.

Don’t feel bad, I came here to say Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story and The Waterboy

For serious sports flicks, Moneyball and Friday Night Lights are my favorites. 

Invincible and The Express are underrated imo. 

11 minutes ago, MSURacer said:

Don’t feel bad, I came here to say Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story and The Waterboy

For serious sports flicks, Moneyball and Friday Night Lights are my favorites. 

Invincible and The Express are underrated imo. 

Have you ever seen The Replacements ? The movie where John Wick plays a QB on a replacement team while the players are on strike:thumb:

• Upvote 1