Why are memphis/Shelby County football games so one sided

RichyRich

31 minutes ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

They’re not short of athletes, just quality coaches… or even just decent coaches at that.

Didn't say they were, but in alot of programs your not wrong. The best your gonna do in Shelby is a good HC , maybe a good coordinator and a staff that is average. Pretty sure alot of the schools in 8-6A have their own school district

14 hours ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

They’re not short of athletes, just quality coaches… or even just decent coaches at that.

Not that you're wrong, because you're right...to an extent. At least part of the "problem" is that kids tend to migrate toward the successful (at the moment) programs. Schools that are not very good will turn over 3/4th's of their roster with upperclassmen in one or two years, and dominate their region/classification until some other program becomes the "destination" for football. Happens in all classes, but way more noticeable in the smaller ones where two or three stud athletes make more difference.

• Upvote 1

On 9/7/2023 at 10:28 PM, RichyRich said:

It seems like every time I look at scores out west it's like a 45+ blow out 

If I had to guess it's because Inner City teams are notoriously undisciplined and poorly coached. As much crap as I give R1 programs, ADs, and coaching staffs it's nothing compared to some of the crappy inner city ones I've seen. They can have multiple D1 recruits and still suck.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RidinSplinters said:

Only took 8 replies before we finally got to the quasi-racist stereotype to appear!

Well done to those that took the under 9.5!

What is qausi racist? Inner city schools being undisciplined with terrible coaching, you could argue the same about smaller rural schools like copperhill,Sunbright, Pickett county, or Hancock County. Just because someone says something negative about an area that is majority black doesn't automatically make it racist. People are allowed to constructively criticized without it being racially related, it's an absolute fact that 9/10 its down to discipline and coaching examples being most inner city memphis schools, Howard, Austin east, Maplewood,etc.  Rural schools like I listed fall under the same bill,  they are from poor impoverished areas with little to no money to put into the programs, rural poverty is just as bad if not worse than what is seen in inner city, it's just less violent.

7 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

What is qausi racist? Inner city schools being undisciplined with terrible coaching, you could argue the same about smaller rural schools like copperhill,Sunbright, Pickett county, or Hancock County. Just because someone says something negative about an area that is majority black doesn't automatically make it racist. People are allowed to constructively criticized without it being racially related, it's an absolute fact that 9/10 its down to discipline and coaching examples being most inner city memphis schools, Howard, Austin east, Maplewood,etc.  Rural schools like I listed fall under the same bill,  they are from poor impoverished areas with little to no money to put into the programs, rural poverty is just as bad if not worse than what is seen in inner city, it's just less violent.

There are more legit reasons why than just "undisciplined." Do I believe that inner city black schools get the "undisciplined" talk more than white schools, yes. I'm going to use Upperman as an example. I don't know Upperman's demographics when it comes to race, and I really don't care. However, if they get called for 5 false start penalties, no one would care. If Melrose commits the same 5 false start penalties, then the "undisciplined" word is coming out. That's my opinion, please respect that. But for someone who lives in West Tennessee, it's a pet peeve trend of mine. It's something I just notice. However, that's not the purpose for this thread.

Covid is still had an effect on these teams. Remember, Memphis inner city schools didn't play during the Covid year. Really you had freshman playing one year, didn't play their sophomore, most importantly, they didn't practice either and develop, then they're playing as Juniors. Only private schools and teams in Region 8-6A played. In 2017-2019, Whitehaven went 32-9 with two semifinals appearances and a state championship game in 2018. In 2021-2023, they are at 15-10, with a playoff loss. They're also in a tougher region, but the "dominance" isn't there. You can blame Covid for that.

Coaching staffs are important, but also the assistant staffs are as well. I don't believe the coaching staffs as a whole, are as good as they were. We have also seen coaches from Memphis move on to the collegiate level as well, Anthony Jones is an example. 

I don't know what the school system is doing when it comes to facilities upgrades. They did put turf down on several stadiums. However, I'm referring to weight room equipment, practice equipment, jerseys and shoulder pads that are up to today's standards, etc. Not all teams play at their actual school, so do they have a good practice field to practice on? Who knows.

You can make the argument there maybe too many schools in Memphis. They added charter schools like MASE. Those players would be playing for regular public high schools if they weren't to exist. Same thing about PURE Youth Alliance, which was added during the 2020 season so they can play football while all the other schools can't play (University of Memphis' backup QB, Tevin Carter, played for them).

You can't blame it on one specific part, because there are several reasons why. Regardless, Memphis needs several dominating programs to create balance throughout the city. Which is tough because that city specializes in basketball.