Heritage visits Karns

BarneySox2007

5 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

woof, beating Heritage is an upset?  Who would've ever thunk it.  So, is Karns at or near an all time low?  

I don't think they are at an all-time low. They aren't very good, but they've had some really bad teams over the years. Back in the late 80s, they had a team that scored 17 points for an entire 10-game season. When Tobi Kilgore was in his first year (2015 I think), they were winless and gave up almost 50 points per game.

What Desean Bishop/Karns did the last two seasons is remarkable when you look at their history. They've had twenty(!) 1-win seasons or worse. Not only was that 2021 playoff win against WV their first ever playoff victory, it was the most wins (7) for the program since they won 8 games back in 1969 and 1971; the only other time Karns has won more than 8 games in a season was back in 1958 when they went 10-1 (Powell spoiled their perfect season).

11 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I don't think they are at an all-time low. They aren't very good, but they've had some really bad teams over the years. Back in the late 80s, they had a team that scored 17 points for an entire 10-game season. When Tobi Kilgore was in his first year (2015 I think), they were winless and gave up almost 50 points per game.

What Desean Bishop/Karns did the last two seasons is remarkable when you look at their history. They've had twenty(!) 1-win seasons or worse. Not only was that 2021 playoff win against WV their first ever playoff victory, it was the most wins (7) for the program since they won 8 games back in 1969 and 1971; the only other time Karns has won more than 8 games in a season was back in 1958 when they went 10-1 (Powell spoiled their perfect season).

That is amazing. They have had a couple really good players. JJ McClesky was a pro. They have been competitive in basketball for most of their history. Baseball, soccer, track and others have been cyclical like most schools. Football has always been bad.

14 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I know when my nephew played at GCA in 15 and 16 a majority of the kids on that team were suspossed to have went to Karns. I'm sure HVA also took a few of them also when they opened. They made a comeback on William Blount to make the score look better but losing the head coach a few weeks before the season hurts this team second to losing Bishop. Must be some kind of issues there for so many people to pay over 7K to send their kids to GCA over a free school close by.

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I know when my nephew played at GCA in 15 and 16 a majority of the kids on that team were suspossed to have went to Karns. I'm sure HVA also took a few of them also when they opened. They made a comeback on William Blount to make the score look better but losing the head coach a few weeks before the season hurts this team second to losing Bishop. Must be some kind of issues there for so many people to pay over 7K to send their kids to GCA over a free school close by.

I've never really understood it, Barney. I grew up in Powell/Heiskell, and Karns really wasn't much different, as far as the schools are concerned. Just your typical middle-class suburban school, and certainly not a "failing" school by any means. My niece graduated from there a few years ago, and what I saw wasn't much different from what I experienced growing up in that area. The proximity of GCA and HVA definitely doesn't help, but the Karns zone has shifted more to the east and contains the entire Emory Road corridor west of Clinton Hwy, which used to be part of the Powell zone.

Even before GCA and HVA opened, Karns was a doormat on the gridiron, and I've never really understood why. They've played in the largest classification for almost their entire history, which hasn't helped, but they've been competitive in a lot of other sports. HTV has mentioned this before, but I know that their baseball program hasn't exactly encouraged their players to compete in multiple sports. Not sure how much that has played into their lack of football success, but it could be a factor.

12 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I've never really understood it, Barney. I grew up in Powell/Heiskell, and Karns really wasn't much different, as far as the schools are concerned. Just your typical middle-class suburban school, and certainly not a "failing" school by any means. My niece graduated from there a few years ago, and what I saw wasn't much different from what I experienced growing up in that area. The proximity of GCA and HVA definitely doesn't help, but the Karns zone has shifted more to the east and contains the entire Emory Road corridor west of Clinton Hwy, which used to be part of the Powell zone.

Even before GCA and HVA opened, Karns was a doormat on the gridiron, and I've never really understood why. They've played in the largest classification for almost their entire history, which hasn't helped, but they've been competitive in a lot of other sports. HTV has mentioned this before, but I know that their baseball program hasn't exactly encouraged their players to compete in multiple sports. Not sure how much that has played into their lack of football success, but it could be a factor.

Baseball players and track not participating in football has also not helped. One thing not mentioned is the head coaching turn over at KHS. Before Coach Taylor has there been a coach Head coach with a winning record come to KHS or one with a winning record stay at KHS. I think Head Coach continuity and coaching staff continuity has been a big problem. Also KHS has no real Football Facility like you see at BHS, FHS, PHS, CHS, WHS, GHS, HHS, Webb, Catholic, CAK, GCA, and l could go on and on. KHS weight room is a cage over the basketball court and the locker room is the same as when the school was built plus a few small up grades to it. How dedicated to winning football is the KHS administration. How often has KHS changed administration? Anyone with any big time funds to finance an upgrade to facilities like a field house with new locker room, weight room, training room, team room for film and meetings. I could go on and on. Bottom line how important is football to KHS to keep their players there and attract other players like other schools around them have. There are some dedicated people in the KHS community the attended KHS that played football and some from outside KHS that have worked real hard to build up the feeder football teams especially the MAC teams. But what guarantees those players will stay at KHS.

2 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Baseball players and track not participating in football has also not helped. One thing not mentioned is the head coaching turn over at KHS. Before Coach Taylor has there been a coach Head coach with a winning record come to KHS or one with a winning record stay at KHS. I think Head Coach continuity and coaching staff continuity has been a big problem. Also KHS has no real Football Facility like you see at BHS, FHS, PHS, CHS, WHS, GHS, HHS, Webb, Catholic, CAK, GCA, and l could go on and on. KHS weight room is a cage over the basketball court and the locker room is the same as when the school was built plus a few small up grades to it. How dedicated to winning football is the KHS administration. How often has KHS changed administration? Anyone with any big time funds to finance an upgrade to facilities like a field house with new locker room, weight room, training room, team room for film and meetings. I could go on and on. Bottom line how important is football to KHS to keep their players there and attract other players like other schools around them have. There are some dedicated people in the KHS community the attended KHS that played football and some from outside KHS that have worked real hard to build up the feeder football teams especially the MAC teams. But what guarantees those players will stay at KHS.

Very good points. I’ve always noticed that shoddy workout area above the basketball court, and thought to myself; “Really”?! But like you said, until the administration gets serious about football, the same vicious cycle will keep repeating itself. It’s a miracle that Bishop didn’t transfer out of there.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Very good points. I’ve always noticed that shoddy workout area above the basketball court, and thought to myself; “Really”?! But like you said, until the administration gets serious about football, the same vicious cycle will keep repeating itself. It’s a miracle that Bishop didn’t transfer out of there.

DeSean Bishop is a very high character football player. I guess he believed in growing where you are planted. Not cut and run when things aren't going great. Stay and make something happen.

17 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

I guess he believed in growing where you are planted. 

You might want to check that.   He didn't live in the Karns zone when he started high- school. 

Not saying that there was anything wrong with getting a transfer. Just making a point of correction. 

55 minutes ago, HTV said:

You might want to check that.   He didn't live in the Karns zone when he started high- school. 

Not saying that there was anything wrong with getting a transfer. Just making a point of correction. 

Yes he did. Lived off of Bakertown Road. Same area that the Hundly kid that started out at West and then transfered to OR.