MARION AT FORREST 2023

GeneralForrest

It takes a lot for a sports program to be good, it takes even more for that program to be CONSISTENTLY good has to have the full support of the school administration, great coaches, and great community involvement. Also doesn't hurt to have your little league/middle school in sync with what they will be running in high school. Like somebody mentioned we will be missing some kids, maybe a skill guy but it's TBD. I think this defense is very much improved this year and our offense does what we needs to be done to win games so far. I think MC will win this one by 3 TDs if Forrest has struggled like General and Salem have said.

2 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

It takes a lot for a sports program to be good, it takes even more for that program to be CONSISTENTLY good has to have the full support of the school administration, great coaches, and great community involvement. Also doesn't hurt to have your little league/middle school in sync with what they will be running in high school. Like somebody mentioned we will be missing some kids, maybe a skill guy but it's TBD. I think this defense is very much improved this year and our offense does what we needs to be done to win games so far. I think MC will win this one by 3 TDs if Forrest has struggled like General and Salem have said.

Forrest does have the talent to have been playing for the region title. Now don’t take this as me agreeing with the General but it is tough to watch a team that has talent to go 9-1 or 8-2 end up 4-6 or 5-5. I noticed when we played them they take forever to get a play called and it causes the offense to be completely out of sync at times. As far as athletes they can match just about anyone they play but putting them in the right place with the right call is on the staff. Hope for a great game and safe travels 

14 hours ago, sum1uno said:

Forrest does have the talent to have been playing for the region title. Now don’t take this as me agreeing with the General but it is tough to watch a team that has talent to go 9-1 or 8-2 end up 4-6 or 5-5. I noticed when we played them they take forever to get a play called and it causes the offense to be completely out of sync at times. As far as athletes they can match just about anyone they play but putting them in the right place with the right call is on the staff. Hope for a great game and safe travels 

Why do you hate to agree with me.  Check my posts over the years.   I'm right more than I'm wrong. 

On 10/2/2023 at 5:20 PM, Southtowner said:

This game has lost some luster.  For me.

Me too. 

On 10/3/2023 at 10:10 AM, CoyDillard said:

I wouldn't expect a shootout this season. New DC seems to have the kids dialed in. Front 7 gets a lot of pressure on QBs and the secondary is pretty solid. 

Warriors will come into Chapel Hill a couple feathers short I'm afraid. Basically the same skill kids from last season so you may recognize names and numbers.

Should be fine as long a #1, 3, and 4 are in the quiver.

Only MC game I can find online is Brainerd. Going by that game the Jimmy and Joes will be similar but as shown last week that doesn't matter if the X's and O's are not. Even though they are undefeated this group looks nothing like the 2015-16 clubs that ran wild in Chapel Hill. Big nose man but everyone else on D looks smaller, high motor type guys. We should have success running right at them but we'll try to run wide all night.

We have a full game film of how not to stop Marion County in 2022 so interesting to see if we change anything. If we line up 10 yards off of #4 I'm cutting the TV off. Last week against Gordy we shut down the run after the opening drive but for unknown reasons decided to halfway rush 3 guys and drop everyone else against a pure passer who didn't like pressure. #3 threw for over 200 yards in 2 quarters before their coach shut him down. Our kids didn't know where to line up pre snap and didn't know who to cover post snap. Receiver made one play on a jump play every other reception was uncontested and many were uncovered. 

29 minutes ago, Salem said:

Me too. 

Should be fine as long a #1, 3, and 4 are in the quiver.

Only MC game I can find online is Brainerd. Going by that game the Jimmy and Joes will be similar but as shown last week that doesn't matter if the X's and O's are not. Even though they are undefeated this group looks nothing like the 2015-16 clubs that ran wild in Chapel Hill. Big nose man but everyone else on D looks smaller, high motor type guys. We should have success running right at them but we'll try to run wide all night.

We have a full game film of how not to stop Marion County in 2022 so interesting to see if we change anything. If we line up 10 yards off of #4 I'm cutting the TV off. Last week against Gordy we shut down the run after the opening drive but for unknown reasons decided to halfway rush 3 guys and drop everyone else against a pure passer who didn't like pressure. #3 threw for over 200 yards in 2 quarters before their coach shut him down. Our kids didn't know where to line up pre snap and didn't know who to cover post snap. Receiver made one play on a jump play every other reception was uncontested and many were uncovered. 

Most Marion folks realize this team is no where near what those '15 &'16 teams were. 

The Brainerd game was awful but we were coming off a big win against Sequatchie so most figured a let down. They honestly haven't played 4 qtrs of good football. The 4th qtr against Fayetteville and the first 2 qtrs against Sequatchie they looked good. Last week's Tyner game the defense played great but we just never got into a rhythm. That's one of the things I worry about getting into the playoffs. Some games they just show up and win on athleticism. A lot harder to do that against good teams.

Edited by CoyDillard

15 hours ago, sum1uno said:

Talent level at Forrest is on the level with Riverside and Lewis County. Going back years and years most games between the school's are nailbiters. Forrest and Riverside played in state baseball tourney and it was 1-0. We just have similar kids. Two of these three teams will finish in the top of 2A two years in a row while Forrest will finish with 14 losses in both seasons. Forrest had more talent returning in 2022 than either and has been in free fall since being ranked #2 in the state. It's administrative malpractice and no one is accountable. 

Forrest vs Riverside History

2011  10-14        2013  23-20           2014    30-35              2019   15-21                     2021     10-15

Other than HC's first year where Lewis County blew his doors off the games are just as close. Both teams would have a running clock if we played this Friday in what should be a one score game.