Will Maryville make a change this offseason?

ILB1999

1 hour ago, strongx said:

IMO-they are not bad on D. I wouldn’t call them great either. They just look like they don’t play great as a unit maybe due to all the new guys, but they have been adequate. Generally not enough TFL to get teams behind the sticks which makes it hard to quickly get off the field. I think this has caused most of the criticism of the D.

Offense looks ok. Most decent defenses make it very hard in football to drive 65 yds at 4 yds a play without a negative play to put you behind the sticks. Everyone needs splash plays, and Murvil is no different. The guy who takes the handoff, breaks a tackle, and goes the distance got injured in game one. It makes a difference not having that difference maker. I’d guess we are way behind opponents in the number of big plays - especially in losses.

With all that said, there is still time for a successful season. The current squad just needs a little help on both sides of the ball to get over the hump. Hopefully there has been some self scouting this week. The next 3 weeks will be telling.

The whole team in general isn't bad at all. A few tweeks and your undefeated but we keep losing the same way is what most fans don't understand me included. Instead of playing like the hunter we're out there looking like the hunted. Are things correctable? YES Will they correct them? I hope so. Would I want to see a coaching change? Absolutly Not. 

On 10/5/2023 at 3:31 PM, strongx said:

Only if there’s a bad snap or a penalty.

Eye thaink yore rite....Bein a glutton fer punishmint eye wint baick onn diemund clear and waitched the Beer-Den ovurtime.....Whut weal rilly git teems behind tha stix two iz tha safties playin' 5 yards deap inn tha end zoan frum tha 10.....:rolleyes:

Eye reemimburr Brad Lee haid Boo playin az clost orr clostur two tha LOS frum tha safetie posishun thain our LB's on short yardige plays...:unsure:

Edited by STARSNBARS

I think it's easy to forget that a healthy Gage Ladue means Maryville's record is very different than the record they currently have.

This thread kind of reminds me of the Frank Solich era at Nebraska where they were really good but never quite as good as they were under Osborne. NU thought they could do better and been a mediocre program since.  Maryville isn't going to do much better than Derek Hunt, but a thorough evaluation of the whole program may be needed 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, STARSNBARS said:

Eye thaink yore rite....Bein a glutton fer punishmint eye wint baick onn diemund clear and waitched the Beer-Den ovurtime.....Whut weal rilly git teems behind tha stix two iz tha safties playin' 5 yards deap inn tha end zoan frum tha 10.....:rolleyes:

Eye reemimburr Brad Lee haid Boo playin a z clost orr clostur two tha LOS frum tha safetie posishun thain our LB's on short yardige plays...:unsure:

I think one of their biggest problems on defense is being afraid to make a play. They are mostly new and still unwilling to take some risks. The one returnee has jumped in front of a couple of balls this year I think. It’s time for them to play. Which means scootin up at times. 

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The whole team in general isn't bad at all. A few tweeks and your undefeated but we keep losing the same way is what most fans don't understand me included. Instead of playing like the hunter we're out there looking like the hunted. Are things correctable? YES Will they correct them? I hope so. Would I want to see a coaching change? Absolutly Not. 

Firing a coach over one bad season is really crazy. Have they played as well as they have historically? No, but then most all teams have years that are a bit down. Maryville has been the exception for a long time, but even in all those years, I have seen Maryville teams that were not as good as others.

Anyone with any sense will say let's see how things end up and look at what happens next year, before that drastic step takes place.

Edited by alt1958b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alt1958b said:

Firing a coach over one bad season is really crazy. Have they played as well as they have historically? No, but then most all teams have years that are a bit down. Maryville has been the exception for a long time, but even in all those years, I have seen Maryville teams that were not as good as others.

Anyone with any sense will say let's see how things end up and look at what happens next year, before that drastic step takes place.

No coach is on the firing block. The only way there would be a new coach is if Derek Hunt resigned and  nobody wants that. If a new coach came in most likely there would be changes then. Saturday morning I got around and went to town to eat and as I was scrolling on my phone and there was a news article about Bearden winning that game with about a hundred comments form every hater known to man laughing about Maryville losing. I wasn't half as mad about that game until I read that crap and it felt like somebody threw a #### pie in my face for desert. 

I don't think Maryville's problems magically disappear if they can bring back GQ. Quarles got all of the glory, but he probably had the best staff in the state, that's not an advantage he would have this time around. 

The landscape around HSFB has changed dramatically in the 7 years Quarles has been gone,  not sure a return to public school would be the right move, at least in East TN

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

No coach is on the firing block. The only way there would be a new coach is if Derek Hunt resigned and  nobody wants that. If a new coach came in most likely there would be changes then. Saturday morning I got around and went to town to eat and as I was scrolling on my phone and there was a news article about Bearden winning that game with about a hundred comments form every hater known to man laughing about Maryville losing. I wasn't half as mad about that game until I read that crap and it felt like somebody threw a #### pie in my face for desert. 

I understand, but was just commenting on the idea this thread is esposing.