Will Maryville make a change this offseason?

ILB1999

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The big problem at Maryville is that they can't take any constructive criticism and take offense to any one throwing it out there. There is not one coach, not one school administrator even the principal or fans that disagrees with my opinion that I dislike. Some people just don't like to hear the truth no matter how bad it hurts. At the home games most people set in their protective enviroment and don't hear all the stuff people are saying but when we go to an away game then all the cats and dogs are all mixed together and buddy do they get an ear full. They should get a real good ear full on the Cleveland trip and especially the Alcoa game bunched in there like sardines. I get messages all day long from others that feel the same as I do and one yesterday was telling me how pizzed off one of the school board members was getting while listening to one of the fans letting it go Friday Night. All I got to say there is oh boy you created this monster so live with it. We will title this season in the history books we were a young team and looking forward to this great exciting youth that are coming up from the freshmen class. Before we put that excuse out there please leave me a chapter in that book telling everyone half the kids starting are seniors and I would bet the farm one of your great freshman may move on to another school. I would hate to get beat with one of my own players like we did against Alcoa in 2009 and 2010 but that's the big reason history repeats itself because this generation is to busy erasing history especially the school systems. Don't want anybody to know the real truth.

Barn- what's the saying, "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it".  It seems Maryville football is in unchartered territory so difficult for all involved, including coaches, players and fans.

Now, regarding the defense and 3 DL vs 4. I don't know the team's personnel well enough to say which D they should play. However, is the D the issue?  In the 3 losses, the O is averaging less than 14 points (in regulation). 

16 minutes ago, JRB said:

Barn- what's the saying, "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it".  It seems Maryville football is in unchartered territory so difficult for all involved, including coaches, players and fans.

Now, regarding the defense and 3 DL vs 4. I don't know the team's personnel well enough to say which D they should play. However, is the D the issue?  In the 3 losses, the O is averaging less than 14 points (in regulation). 

The other night I would tell you I was all in for going for the two points. Never dreamed they would try and stretch it out against good athletes. Never seen a Maryville team dropped three passes in a game. Why didn't we go long to number five or was that just saved for the Heritage game. Did we get so rattled on those three dropped passes that we couldn't do that anymore. We look like we are afraid to do anything half the time on offense against a decent team. The Maryville teams of old came out and let you know we were there to play and take no prisoners. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The other night I would tell you I was all in for going for the two points. Never dreamed they would try and stretch it out against good athletes. Never seen a Maryville team dropped three passes in a game. Why didn't we go long to number five or was that just saved for the Heritage game. Did we get so rattled on those three dropped passes that we couldn't do that anymore. We look like we are afraid to do anything half the time on offense against a decent team. The Maryville teams of old came out and let you know we were there to play and take no prisoners. 

Death Star Star Wars GIF - Death Star Star Wars - Discover & Share GIFs

2 hours ago, JRB said:

IMO-they are not bad on D. I wouldn’t call them great either. They just look like they don’t play great as a unit maybe due to all the new guys, but they have been adequate. Generally not enough TFL to get teams behind the sticks which makes it hard to quickly get off the field. I think this has caused most of the criticism of the D.

Offense looks ok. Most decent defenses make it very hard in football to drive 65 yds at 4 yds a play without a negative play to put you behind the sticks. Everyone needs splash plays, and Murvil is no different. The guy who takes the handoff, breaks a tackle, and goes the distance got injured in game one. It makes a difference not having that difference maker. I’d guess we are way behind opponents in the number of big plays - especially in losses.

With all that said, there is still time for a successful season. The current squad just needs a little help on both sides of the ball to get over the hump. Hopefully there has been some self scouting this week. The next 3 weeks will be telling.

Edited by strongx