Franklin coach dismissed. Unbelievable!!

runtheball

Too many sharks!  Only so much water available!  

6A

Ravenwood

Brentwood

Franklin

Independence

Summit

5A

Nolensville

Centennial

Page

I've said for years that Fairview (3A) is in a prime position to really become a middle TN powerhouse for a long time to come.  All of these schools are sharing so many great athletes and that does not even begin to factor in the countless private schools throughout the area.  Fairview is the WilCo school that doesn't have to endure the gauntlet of playing 3-4 others annually in region play.  Their road to the playoffs is much more manageable which means that their kids are able to play on bigger stages in November when it matters most.  They also get to play on the same $1.3M playing surface that all 8 of the "bigger" schools are able to play on every year. 

Franklin is not "bad" by any means.  They are just trapped in a gauntlet of a region and have came up short on the scoreboard for 3 years now.  They would likely have a lot of success if they were able to play against 5A and 6A teams that are outside of Williamson County.  

• Like 2

Franklin is not the Franklin of old . Zoning has taken a big toll on the football program along with private schools. It is Grassland High to be honest . You heard of those Spillman brothers at Lipscomb - they should be at FHS.
Coach Melton has done a good coaching job with what he has to work with . Most all his games in a very tough league have all been close contests . Defense is where he excelled and on offense is where they have had troubles over the last 3 years . Like some else pointed out . Scheduling also could factor into the equation this season. 

Yes , the timing might have been bad in some folks eyes , but in a very old and proud program something had to change .

Coach Melton like all good coaches will land on his feet somewhere . He is a good coach and an even better person. Look at what he did as DC at Summit . He has also coached under Crawford at Brentwood . 

Franklin will move on in next 3 games with ex HC Donnie Webb and then look for a new HC.

Edited by Hoganknows

On 10/3/2023 at 9:52 AM, blitzinbuc said:

“Alex is a great guy, and a good coach,” Principal Pantall said Monday.

If the Principal really meant what he said, why wouldn't he allow Alex to finish out the season? 

I don’t see where the school gains anything by making a change during the middle of the season.  The only thing that comes out of this action is the principal and school board that were part of the hire begin to deflect the attention away from the fact that they made a mistake.

1 hour ago, mondo44 said:

AD is Darrin Joines, longtime basketball coach at Beech before going to Williamson County. Good guy.  I don’t have a problem with the firing. 1-26 will you fired a lot of places.  

Got a fraternity brother who coaches over there in Williamson County. After reading about this situation I called him and asked him what was up. He said the county AD is the most hated guy in the county by all the coaches. Apparently he does nothing for the coaches but make their lives harder and takes credit for their accomplishments. Said he’s been coaching in the county for 3 years now and never seen him at a school unless it was a PR opportunity. In regards to the Franklin situation he said they have the worst talent in the league and were hands down the most well coached team but they were so overmatched talent wise it didn’t matter. Said that typically when a county job opens there will be tons of coordinators from within the county apply but none are going to apply for this one due to the vast talent gap and the joke of administration at Franklin firing this guy mid year. Seems like the grass ain’t always greener in Williamson County like everyone makes it out to be.

Edited by memphisfbguru12

I've been a Franklin fan for 23 years.

My two sons went to Franklin.

Yes, there has been a shift in the talent.

However, I have not seen great coaching on the offense.

I think the coach just wasn't ready to be a HC, at least in this situation. I wish him well and hope he has another HC opportunity.

The timing seems odd but I believe Shane is a good guy and is well respected.

This may have been to protect next year's team more than getting a win this year.

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:52 AM, blitzinbuc said:

“Alex is a great guy, and a good coach,” Principal Pantall said Monday.

If the Principal really meant what he said, why wouldn't he allow Alex to finish out the season? 

if the decision was made to fire him...why wait...great guys ant a prerequ for winnin a FB contest....good coach that hasnt won a game since he took the helm....dump him and move on now if the decision was made it was gonna happin....try somethin to get the graduating kids a W before they finish.....

....it do take jimmy and joes to collect Ws.....

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

9 hours ago, memphisfbguru12 said:

Got a fraternity brother who coaches over there in Williamson County. After reading about this situation I called him and asked him what was up. He said the county AD is the most hated guy in the county by all the coaches. Apparently he does nothing for the coaches but make their lives harder and takes credit for their accomplishments. Said he’s been coaching in the county for 3 years now and never seen him at a school unless it was a PR opportunity. In regards to the Franklin situation he said they have the worst talent in the league and were hands down the most well coached team but they were so overmatched talent wise it didn’t matter. Said that typically when a county job opens there will be tons of coordinators from within the county apply but none are going to apply for this one due to the vast talent gap and the joke of administration at Franklin firing this guy mid year. Seems like the grass ain’t always greener in Williamson County like everyone makes it out to be.

why is half this post about the county AD?  I mean, who cares?  But also, isnt' a job like that about compliance and liability?  Of course he's made their jobs harder.  Most coaches don't think about such things.