Lipscomb Academy

BelmontRebel

It would be nice to know the date of the text messages.  According to the Lipscomb website, the lat day classes was May 26, 2023.  The player announced on twitter he was leaving for Ensworth on that same day.  

Were the cited recruiting messages while he was enrolled at Lipscomb, prior to him announcing and prior to May 26?

18 minutes ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Did he transfer for athletic purposes?  In a prior post someone said the dad was mad Dilfer took the UAB job when he promised the dad he would be at Lipscomb until he graduated.

It sounds like the Admimstration being honest about it.

I think Dilfer deceived a lot of folks because I was told be was fully invested into Lipscomb and had said repeatedly he had no interest or intention in leaving. Then secretly in October he took the UAB job, later he moved Lipscomb into AAA and the day before the Blue Cross Bowl he went to Birmingham and signed his contract. I talked to some parents here last year who said he wasn’t even with the team for the walk through and final team meal. He got back from Birmingham late that evening.  I think just like college that if the coaches who recruited you leave the student athlete should be able to transfer without consequences.  

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Chattanoogachoochoo said:

I think Dilfer deceived a lot of folks because I was told be was fully invested into Lipscomb and had said repeatedly he had no interest or intention in leaving. Then secretly in October he took the UAB job, later he moved Lipscomb into AAA and the day before the Blue Cross Bowl he went to Birmingham and signed his contract. I talked to some parents here last year who said he wasn’t even with the team for the walk through and final team meal. He got back from Birmingham late that evening.  I think just like college that if the coaches who recruited you leave the student athlete should be able to transfer without consequences.  

Here is the problem with your statement, You are not allowed to recruit under the TSSAA rules.  If those rules change than I would agree with you but you can't reward someone with a transfer without consequences when you have broken a rule.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

Did he transfer for athletic purposes?  In a prior post someone said the dad was mad Dilfer took the UAB job when he promised the dad he would be at Lipscomb until he graduated.

It sounds like the Admimstration being honest about it.

There is no doubt he did it for athletic purposes. Admin was honest about that aspect and it got them caught in what they were not honest about in their athletic department.

Cut off your nose to spite your face.

2 hours ago, Chattanoogachoochoo said:

yall need to try reading the rules before you post this silliness.

I will come out of retirement to post on this topic...no LA fan, but I don't get what they did wrong here and why they are facing such a harsh punishment.  Text messages between the parent of an 8th grade student and an assistant coach regarding financial aid?  For one, as LA stated in their appeal, an assistant coach can't do anything about financial aid one way or the other, so whatever he's texting doesn't mean anything.  I'm sure every private school had emergency training with their staffs this week about texting with parents this week. The parent says "LA is cutting our financial aid"...not sure what that means; as has been noted, the clearinghouse determines anyone's financial aid award, and by the looks of it LA is not short on cash, so I would guess he just didn't like what he was expected to pay.  Either way, the TSSAA isn't saying LA messed around with financial aid; it's just about the text messages themselves.  The kid isn't there anymore so clearly he didn't receive any improper financial aid.  So I don't get how text messages between a parent of a kid enrolled at the school and an assistant coach at the school can somehow be considered "recruiting."  

From what I have heard they were shopping around at BA, MBA and Ensworth because they didn't like the LA basketball coach.  That said, LA should have just released him as an 8th grader/rising 9th grader, unless they feel pretty confident that Ensworth (where he is now) did something wrong in recruiting him.

Private schools can absolutely recruit. Why do you think Baylor MC BA LA etc have open houses.  It is too get kids on campus. Can coaches make in house visits for recruiting or athletic purposes?  No.  Can private give partial or full tuition to athletes absolutely. There is a reason there is public - private. Lipscomb broke two major rules…having out of area athletes on their team without parents moving here.   They also have a text where a coach was telling a parent they could help with his tuition. 

3 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

I will come out of retirement to post on this topic...no LA fan, but I don't get what they did wrong here and why they are facing such a harsh punishment.  Text messages between the parent of an 8th grade student and an assistant coach regarding financial aid?  For one, as LA stated in their appeal, an assistant coach can't do anything about financial aid one way or the other, so whatever he's texting doesn't mean anything.  I'm sure every private school had emergency training with their staffs this week about texting with parents this week. The parent says "LA is cutting our financial aid"...not sure what that means; as has been noted, the clearinghouse determines anyone's financial aid award, and by the looks of it LA is not short on cash, so I would guess he just didn't like what he was expected to pay.  Either way, the TSSAA isn't saying LA messed around with financial aid; it's just about the text messages themselves.  The kid isn't there anymore so clearly he didn't receive any improper financial aid.  So I don't get how text messages between a parent of a kid enrolled at the school and an assistant coach at the school can somehow be considered "recruiting."  

From what I have heard they were shopping around at BA, MBA and Ensworth because they didn't like the LA basketball coach.  That said, LA should have just released him as an 8th grader/rising 9th grader, unless they feel pretty confident that Ensworth (where he is now) did something wrong in recruiting him.

Of course the most serious infraction was having 2 student athletes playing without their parents having moved here while living with another player and giving a bogus address for them.  The  school was already on probation for what most people consider a very minor infraction. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chattanoogachoochoo said:

Private schools can absolutely recruit. Why do you think Baylor MC BA LA etc have open houses.  It is too get kids on campus. Can coaches make in house visits for recruiting or athletic purposes?  No.  Can private give partial or full tuition to athletes absolutely. There is a reason there is public - private. Lipscomb broke two major rules…having out of area athletes on their team without parents moving here.   They also have a text where a coach was telling a parent they could help with his tuition. 

Schools cannot "give" (your word not mine) partial or full tuition. That is supposed to be determined by a 3rd party Financial aid service. There is the problem with the texts from the assistant coach. He stated very plainly he could make it happen. Only way 'he" could do that would be illegal by TSSAA rules.

You guys are trying WAY too hard to find a reason to make this right. There is none. They got caught. They know this. They met privately with the Board the next day to see what they needed to do to fix their wrongs. Lipscomb knew they were busted. That is why there was no injunction filed.

3 minutes ago, Chattanoogachoochoo said:

Of course the most serious infraction was having 2 student athletes playing without their parents having moved here while living with another player and giving a bogus address for them.  The  school was already on probation for what most people consider a very minor infraction. 

yeah I mean, that's the stupid decision....that was clearly stupid when it happened, and has to go down as one of the more boneheaded decisions of all time.  Imagine if they had just gone with Killburg on day 1? where would they be right now?  And done the sensible thing and said we can't take on a new QB in August after the season had already started?

• Like 1