State of Tri-cities 5A/6A football

blazer1set

12 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Everyone from Bristol to Memfuss plays for fun. Otherwise, no one would be playing. What matters is organization and coaching from the youth leagues through the feeder programs to high school. Toss in demographics, population (not school size, but area population), and it's not hard to see how the bigger metro schools dominate 5 & 6A. Last year here in Florida, the FHSAA revamped their classification system to Metro and Suburban divisions. Instead of Class A through Class 8A, we now have 1M - 4M and 1S - 4S. There's also a 1R (Rural) class for remote rural schools like Pahokee. The Metro schools are comprised of the Palm Beach county to Dade county metro area, the Jacksonville metro area, the Orlando metro area, and the Tampa metro area. The reason they did it was because these schools were dominating the state championships for the most part. It didn't matter how good of a youth league program, feeder schools and coaching staff someone like a Vero Beach had, there was just a ton more talent available in the big metro areas, and while I can't speak for Tennessee, the schools here recruit like crazy and in the metro areas, teams can really load up. 

That rural vs metro notion was breifly a topic....6 years ago....it is a worthy debate.  Much like if you have students that pay tuition to go to your "public" school should a multiplier be used??

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JDHoss said:

Everyone from Bristol to Memfuss plays for fun. Otherwise, no one would be playing. What matters is organization and coaching from the youth leagues through the feeder programs to high school. Toss in demographics, population (not school size, but area population), and it's not hard to see how the bigger metro schools dominate 5 & 6A. Last year here in Florida, the FHSAA revamped their classification system to Metro and Suburban divisions. Instead of Class A through Class 8A, we now have 1M - 4M and 1S - 4S. There's also a 1R (Rural) class for remote rural schools like Pahokee. The Metro schools are comprised of the Palm Beach county to Dade county metro area, the Jacksonville metro area, the Orlando metro area, and the Tampa metro area. The reason they did it was because these schools were dominating the state championships for the most part. It didn't matter how good of a youth league program, feeder schools and coaching staff someone like a Vero Beach had, there was just a ton more talent available in the big metro areas, and while I can't speak for Tennessee, the schools here recruit like crazy and in the metro areas, teams can really load up. 

That's pretty interesting about how Florida is doing classifications, wonder if something similar would work in Tennessee?       Almost like you could have an M-class (Metro) and the R-class (Rural) separate championships, much like the privates have their own playoffs now.           Then it would come down to semantics about the schools on the border between M & R.       I honestly cannot see the TSSAA ever making that drastic of a change so most likely nothing changes in TN unless they hear that FL has 8 classes, they might do that so more schools get the participation trophy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

In the grand scope of things, it really doesn't matter other than having a trophy and being able to brag about it. It doesn't count for much when the next season starts and you have to defend it. Not many (if any) not named Oakland, Maryville or Alcoa can. As for the "mythical state championships" go ahead and throw them out of the record books. But throw them all out, including College. I've never seen a post on CoachT complaining about any other school's state championship voted in by the media. Only DB. And there is zero evidence that would show they wouldn't have won those championships in a playoff anyway. 

And another thing. It gets tiresome to hear people talk like all of DB's wins come against "much smaller schools". It used to be "smaller schools" now you say "much smaller schools". I remember when you used to say upper east tn couldn't compete with the rest of the state because we just didn't have the athletes. Then came Elizabethton and Greeneville. Now you've changed to upper east tn. 5A and 6A. If Science Hill, Boone, or DB ever go out and hire a good coaching staff you'll see that change also. It's always coaching. Everybody including me said DB would never win a championship in Basketball. They hired a good coach and you see what happened. ITS COACHING!

I've always told you that DB was nothing more than a big fish in a small pond pertaining to football. And you disputed that many times over the years - even predicting that was the year they'd beat Maryville.  And I've seen what was supposedly great DB teams ranked #1 in the state fold over the years to teams not named Maryville. 
Any championships voted in by the media are "mythical", regardless of what team it is. Don't you think it's strange that DB won all of their state championships before it was earned on the field?   You have NO evidence that DB would have won any state championship in a playoff format. 
Have you ever noticed the multiple Big 10 teams that won National championships BEFORE there was a playoff format?  It's not strange that SEC teams have dominated winning the national championship since the playoff format started.
Coaching certainly plays a big part, but if you don't have the players to execute you won't go deep in the playoffs.  See DB as a prime example. 

7 hours ago, Tonto10 said:

That rural vs metro notion was breifly a topic....6 years ago....it is a worthy debate.  Much like if you have students that pay tuition to go to your "public" school should a multiplier be used??

Some of the schools in urban counties were listed as rural in a sample sent out to consider. It was a mess. Seemed almost to be intentionally misleading to squash the idea. They used each school’s population per square mile instead of how adjacent they were to more possible students. 

1 hour ago, blitzinbuc said:

I've always told you that DB was nothing more than a big fish in a small pond pertaining to football. And you disputed that many times over the years - even predicting that was the year they'd beat Maryville.  And I've seen what was supposedly great DB teams ranked #1 in the state fold over the years to teams not named Maryville. 
Any championships voted in by the media are "mythical", regardless of what team it is. Don't you think it's strange that DB won all of their state championships before it was earned on the field?   You have NO evidence that DB would have won any state championship in a playoff format. 
Have you ever noticed the multiple Big 10 teams that won National championships BEFORE there was a playoff format?  It's not strange that SEC teams have dominated winning the national championship since the playoff format started.
Coaching certainly plays a big part, but if you don't have the players to execute you won't go deep in the playoffs.  See DB as a prime example. 

The argument over whether a team voted champions, could or couldn't have won said championship in a playoff is a dead-end argument. You can't prove they couldn't, and I can't prove they could. I know you can go have a look at the record books and whether it's Tennessee High School Football or NCAA Football, the state champions and the NCAA champions are listed for all to see. You can cry till the cows come home and it ain't gonna' change a thing. Also, how many other teams in the state of Tennessee were voted "state champions"? I bet you have no ideal. Do some research and report back to us with the list. Your problem is with DB just admit it. You're probably mad because a DB football player stole your girlfriend once upon a time, and you haven't got over it. Just find yourself a new girl and move on. 

As for the big fish in a small pond comment. That was an argument that a lot of the locals used to throw up at us. They said DB couldn't compete with the Knoxville area teams. I don't remember the exact years that the Big East Conference was in play, but it wasn't that long ago. It lasted for about 10 years, I think. It was made up of mostly Knoxville area teams with DB and Science Hill. Everybody said that would be the end of DB winning football games.  DB went on to win the Big East Conference Championship every year except one. The TSSAA ended that conference line up because everybody complained about the travel distances. 

Also, I don't ever remember predicting DB would beat Maryville. But if I did.....so what? 

You're just not very smart, I'll leave it at that. 

4 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

The argument over whether a team voted champions, could or couldn't have won said championship in a playoff is a dead-end argument. You can't prove they couldn't, and I can't prove they could. I know you can go have a look at the record books and whether it's Tennessee High School Football or NCAA Football, the state champions and the NCAA champions are listed for all to see. You can cry till the cows come home and it ain't gonna' change a thing. Also, how many other teams in the state of Tennessee were voted "state champions"? I bet you have no ideal. Do some research and report back to us with the list. Your problem is with DB just admit it. You're probably mad because a DB football player stole your girlfriend once upon a time, and you haven't got over it. Just find yourself a new girl and move on. 

As for the big fish in a small pond comment. That was an argument that a lot of the locals used to throw up at us. They said DB couldn't compete with the Knoxville area teams. I don't remember the exact years that the Big East Conference was in play, but it wasn't that long ago. It lasted for about 10 years, I think. It was made up of mostly Knoxville area teams with DB and Science Hill. Everybody said that would be the end of DB winning football games.  DB went on to win the Big East Conference Championship every year except one. The TSSAA ended that conference line up because everybody complained about the travel distances. 

Also, I don't ever remember predicting DB would beat Maryville. But if I did.....so what? 

You're just not very smart, I'll leave it at that. 

It's not crying, it's others and me laughing at the DB folks' (including yours) comments over the years.
My statement about DB's "mythical championships" has obviously triggered you. I'm sorry that your Indians haven't even appeared in a state championship game since the playoff format began in 1969. That's 54 long years they've had a chance to prove themselves.  But, hey, you can always say you were Big East Champions!  :roflol:

As far as DB's football players, when I was at ETSU I used to meet up with some girls that were "supposed" to be going with them. :thumb:

One minor, but important note - it's idea, not ideal. 

Admitting to yourself that you're just butt-hurt would be good therapy for you.  I hope you seek help asap.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HTV said:

But they have the best high school football stadium in the state.  

And I am being as serious as I can be.  

No, not for visitors.
Yes, if you like playing on a half baseball/half football field.
Their home side stadium is very impressive.

And most important, they have a pretty good band. 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:47 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I feel a smidgen better at least. 

The week of fall break DB football did not practice mon-thurs. They did practice that Friday evening and again sat morning. Throughout the season practice mon-wed then walk through thurs morning off that evening then game day Friday. Film Sunday I hesitate to say optional but most not present. 

Please reference the 6a teams still in playoffs along with the 2 4a teams on their schedule,, I think you will find not the same commitment. 

DB players are not as recruitable as players from Knox area due to the fact they

- lose substantial weight and strength during season

- lose desire to continue to play due to poor leadership

- lose period

- start with lesser skill set

Everyone should want to play in that magnificent stadium with that outstanding band. Absolutely best in the area. Good players gravitate to the better programs.. reference GV, Eliz, Alcoa, Maryville, Bearden.. check rosters with kids outside the zone.

DB will remain mediocre as long as staff, approach, and mindset remain mediocre. Kids are the ones that suffer the most from Christian's  pathetic performance as a coach, leader, mentor, motivator, and representative of Dobyns Bennett. He is an insult to what DB stands for.. time for change.