State of Tri-cities 5A/6A football

blazer1set

4 hours ago, MuddleHuddle said:

This was a topic around the table this morning. You have the occasional situation like last year where SH made it to the 3rd round but that’s more uncommon than common. Most years it is a mass round 1 exit. It’s troubling and, if football remotely matters, something has to change.

The big Tri-cities schools play football mainly for fun.    Now yes, the guys are out there giving it their all on the field, but I'm talking about the entire package, the big schools are NOT serious about football like they are in Knoxville & beyond.       Over the last few years my attitude has changed a lot, I now don't even consider the playoffs, just think about trying to win each game and win Region 1 5A, that's really all that matters because once the playoffs start it's over anyway.     In the foreseeable future there will not be a single 5A/6A team get past the Knox County line.

14 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

The big Tri-cities schools play football mainly for fun.    Now yes, the guys are out there giving it their all on the field, but I'm talking about the entire package, the big schools are NOT serious about football like they are in Knoxville & beyond.       Over the last few years my attitude has changed a lot, I now don't even consider the playoffs, just think about trying to win each game and win Region 1 5A, that's really all that matters because once the playoffs start it's over anyway.     In the foreseeable future there will not be a single 5A/6A team get past the Knox County line.

That’s about the best way you could describe our areas approach to football. This explains the woeful approach to s&c off season programs and the short term thinking of hanging your entire season on a cross town rivalry game.

Somebody posted on another thread the other day that DB only practices 3 days a week. And during the fall break (1 week) didn't practice at all. I haven't been to a practice in over 10 years, so I don't know. Is this the norm. Is there a TSSAA rule that says you can't practice during fall break or can only practice 3 days a week? Or is our coaching staff this lazy? 

Speaking as a fan of WR. I see no improvement. I could write a full page of issues that I see and have heard with my own ears. Everyone has hashed out the why's. Lacking talent. No youth programs or middle school programs. No summer camps. No commitment from coaching staff other than the minimum. You get what you put in to most anything that you do. Take Elizabethton and Greeneville. They were historically good programs but not state champion level programs UNTIL someone made the change. Now look. What changed? The coach? The system? My guess is the folks at Besty and Greeneville that are running the show knew what they wanted and made it happen. The folks at our schools haven't made that commitment. 

6 minutes ago, 83SouthRebel said:

Speaking as a fan of WR. I see no improvement. I could write a full page of issues that I see and have heard with my own ears. Everyone has hashed out the why's. Lacking talent. No youth programs or middle school programs. No summer camps. No commitment from coaching staff other than the minimum. You get what you put in to most anything that you do. Take Elizabethton and Greeneville. They were historically good programs but not state champion level programs UNTIL someone made the change. Now look. What changed? The coach? The system? My guess is the folks at Besty and Greeneville that are running the show knew what they wanted and made it happen. The folks at our schools haven't made that commitment. 

You nailed it my friend.

"If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time."
~Zig Ziglar

There will be practice next week for EHS Football team during fall break. Practice will be Monday through Thursday, 8-11. There will be a JV Game Home Monday at 6:00 Oct 9th. Players are expected to be here!! Please communicate!!!                                                           So that answers your question WaCoJaCo. You can practice as many days as you want and DB coaches are lazy.

Edited by Tab
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, BatmanDB said:

Just my two cents. As a parent of a couple young men who attended one of these programs, I took it personally to have my boys as physically  ready to play before they ever got to the high school level. That just left the coaching up to the coaches. One of mine stayed the distance and got the very most out of his potential and that was all NET  .The  most gifted had a no BS policy as did many of his gifted teammates. I guess the answer for Batman is it starts at home and continues with the coaches and everyone involved with a program. Some parents expect little jimmy to go from a boy to a man and frankly, not all coaching staff’s are as good as Greeneville and Elizabethton’s.No way these schools should be able to beat the local 5a and 6a schools as often as they do. We know now by watching these  4a powerhouses over the last 15 years, that there is talent in NET.

And with that, anyone looking to relocate, there are some homes available in my area.

On 11/4/2023 at 6:11 PM, blazer1set said:

Blaze for 6a there's 2 teams that's holding the state hostage Oakland and Maryville. So the Memphis area teams can say this is the best it's going to get cause we're not beating Oakland and the 2 knoxville teams can say the same because we're not beating Maryville, this is the first year in forever that 6a is wide open.

From '17 to '20 when the 2 knoxville teams were in db conference db went 7-2 against Bearden and Farragut and would have faced Oakland some of those years had it not been for Maryville. This was the 1st year that realistically db would maybe had a chance at beating Maryville, still wouldn't matter because Bearden is loaded this year 

For 5a your trailblazer were just a year too early, last season West team probably the best team they ever had, if yall could have that team from last year I could see a semi game or maybe a state championship game, this West and Powell team are beatable. For TN High they're always going to suffer from living in a small town that you have the inner city kids split into 2 high schools. Tn high best player this year #1 Donnie Thomas he's a transfer from VA High had they not had him they wouldn't even won some of the games they did. Tn high will always need the athletes from VA high and VA high will always need the meat and potatoes guys from Tn High.

On 11/4/2023 at 7:56 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

Somebody posted on another thread the other day that DB only practices 3 days a week. And during the fall break (1 week) didn't practice at all. I haven't been to a practice in over 10 years, so I don't know. Is this the norm. Is there a TSSAA rule that says you can't practice during fall break or can only practice 3 days a week? Or is our coaching staff this lazy? 

Hard for me to believe that’s true about practice. Maybe practice 3 times during the bye week. What’s missing are the Foreman,Swafford, Sensabaugh Barger level athletes.  

On 11/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, BatmanDB said:

Just my two cents. As a parent of a couple young men who attended one of these programs, I took it personally to have my boys as physically  ready to play before they ever got to the high school level. That just left the coaching up to the coaches. One of mine stayed the distance and got the very most out of his potential and that was all NET  .The  most gifted had a no BS policy as did many of his gifted teammates. I guess the answer for Batman is it starts at home and continues with the coaches and everyone involved with a program. Some parents expect little jimmy to go from a boy to a man and frankly, not all coaching staff’s are as good as Greeneville and Elizabethton’s.No way these schools should be able to beat the local 5a and 6a schools as often as they do. We know now by watching these  4a powerhouses over the last 15 years, that there is talent in NET.

Maybe anyone who is serious about football takes their kids to those two good programs? That is what people don't get is kids don't just stay where they grew up and played little league if they know the high school program sucks. Then the HS says well we can never be good because all of our good players leave before they even get to HS. In todays era of recruiting its very hard to have a 180 turn around from a bad program to good you basically have to bring in a whole new team.

On 11/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, BatmanDB said:

Well said Batman!!