Bearden Bulldogs 2024

JournalEntry

1 hour ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Yea I was wrong on the 70s. Oakland for sure has a great program. I would think it is hard for you all to find someone willing to schedule a home and home due to your success. That is why you have to go out of state for games.

Not helped by the fact that Oakland is only in a 6 team region. Finding 5 games when there are 6 classes isn't easy and forces them to sometimes schedule games against smaller schools. Don't remember the last time Oakland went into the spring with a full 10 game schedule.

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Sheriff, I believe we played Murfreesboro Central in those days. Oakland & Riverdale didn’t become schools till later on.

Central was the school for all of Murfreesboro until 1972. Great article on the 1970 championship team on the tssaa website Murfreesboro Central

7 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Not helped by the fact that Oakland is only in a 6 team region. Finding 5 games when there are 6 classes isn't easy and forces them to sometimes schedule games against smaller schools. Don't remember the last time Oakland went into the spring with a full 10 game schedule.

Central was the school for all of Murfreesboro until 1972. Great article on the 1970 championship team on the tssaa website Murfreesboro Central

My guess is that local area teams do not want to play due to your success and the potential of losing players

7 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

My guess is that local area teams do not want to play due to your success and the potential of losing players

In the past that was probably a legitimate concern but if a kid/parent is motivated to move their kid to Oakland or whoever, that's not gonna stop them. Most of Oakland’s big transfers have come from a private school. 

Always found it curious that even at the height of their dominance, Maryville never had a problem filling out their schedule. Made me a little jealous that they were able to maintain old rivalries while still playing at a very high level

53 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Yeah, before Murfreesboro boomed in growth. I’ll check that out, budroe.

35 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

In the past that was probably a legitimate concern but if a kid/parent is motivated to move their kid to Oakland or whoever, that's not gonna stop them. Most of Oakland’s big transfers have come from a private school. 

Always found it curious that even at the height of their dominance, Maryville never had a problem filling out their schedule. Made me a little jealous that they were able to maintain old rivalries while still playing at a very high level

Some schools for sure had quit playing them, and others kept on to keep a litmus test for their playoffs. I am sure it is frustrating 

36 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

Some schools for sure had quit playing them, and others kept on to keep a litmus test for their playoffs. I am sure it is frustrating 

Back in our “heyday” we had to play an out of state team a few times, Paducah-Tilghman in Kentucky, to be exact. Their QB was Billy Jack Haskins, who went on to start at UK for a season or two. They were our only loss in ‘91. Stoned us on the goal line going in for the winning 2 point conversion, if I’m not mistaken. I was one heartbroken 13 year old.

Edited by SweetScience

3 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Back in our “heyday” we had to play an out of state team a few times, Paducah-Tilghman in Kentucky, to be exact. Their QB was Billy Jack Haskins, who went on to start at UK for a season or two. They were our only loss in ‘91. Stoned us on the goal line going in for the winning 2 point conversion, if I’m not mistaken. I was one heartbroken 13 year old.

That season ended well for ya

• 1 month later...