West Tn Teams

TnHoops23

15 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I have said it from the get go If Kee can stay on the floor and not get in foul trouble they could be very hard to beat. Congratulations. Great win for Huntingdon. 

Huntingdon is a tough out, especially with their size in the post. Knew after getting the win at Dyersburg that our hands would be full at their place. 

10 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Huntingdon is a tough out, especially with their size in the post. Knew after getting the win at Dyersburg that our hands would be full at their place. 

Dyersburg may have needed this loss to get them going. Gibson County has played much better after a loss to Crockett County. Dyersburg will get it going. Huntingdon plays really well at home. 

1 minute ago, pioneer42 said:

Dyersburg may have needed this loss to get them going. Gibson County has played much better after a loss to Crockett County. Dyersburg will get it going. Huntingdon plays really well at home. 

The only good things about tonight was that it was non-district and Mallard's was amazing. It had been way too long since I had been there for a meal.

I hesitate to say this because I don't want to take anything away from the Fillies. They were the better team. Shot 50% from the field, earned trips to the free throw line, and controlled the pace of play. We were missing a starter tonight and had another player inactive. Not saying that was the difference but hopefully we will be full strength when district resumes Friday against Obion. With Obion's win over South Gibson County tonight the Lady Rebels could potentially move to a tie for first in the District with a win over Dburg Friday night in Troy.

My take (that nobody asked for) on several West TN teams:

Huntingdon is good and sometimes really good.  When their guard play is good, they are really tough to beat but their guard play is not always good.

Dyersburg is really talented but is missing something.  Talented enough to win a gold ball, but wouldn't be shocked if they got upset in a region semifinal game.  

South Gibson, Crockett County, Obion County and Dyer County are all average to above average.  Any of those teams could finish second in that district.  I expect them to beat each other up in district play, district tournament and region tournament.  

Gibson County goes as far as Micah Hart takes them.  They have a couple decent pieces around her but nothing close to what Cantrell was for Micah last year. 

Westview losing their PG is a big deal.  They probably still make the state tournament, but the Peabody matchup for them just got really interesting. 

Peabody is a scary matchup, especially for Westview.  

McKenzie has one great player, one good player and not much else.  Those two players might be enough to carry them to a state tournament.

South Side is dangerous.  They'll keep getting better and their defense will keep them in every game.  I know they lost to Chester County recently, but I'd still put my money on South Side in that district.  

USJ could win the D2-A state tournament.  Haylen Ayers is the real deal and they have a couple solid pieces around her.  With no dominant team in their division, that might be enough.

Edited by maddams
spelling

1 hour ago, maddams said:

My take (that nobody asked for) on several West TN teams:

Huntingdon is good and sometimes really good.  When their guard play is good, they are really tough to beat but their guard play is not always good.

Dyersburg is really talented but is missing something.  Talented enough to win a gold ball, but wouldn't be shocked if they got upset in a region semifinal game.  

South Gibson, Crockett County, Obion County and Dyer County are all average to above average.  Any of those teams could finish second in that district.  I expect them to beat each other up in district play, district tournament and region tournament.  

Gibson County goes as far as Micah Hart takes them.  They have a couple decent pieces around her but nothing close to what Cantrell was for Micah last year. 

Westview losing their PG is a big deal.  They probably still make the state tournament, but the Peabody matchup for them just got really interesting. 

Peabody is a scary matchup, especially for Westview.  

McKenzie has one great player, one good player and not much else.  Those two players might be enough to carry them to a state tournament.

South Side is dangerous.  They'll keep getting better and their defense will keep them in every game.  I know they lost to Chester County recently, but I'd still put my money on South Side in that district.  

USJ could win the D2-A state tournament.  Haylen Ayers is the real deal and they have a couple solid pieces around her.  With no dominant team in their division, that might be enough.

Fillies guard play is improving. Our guards are mostly 2 or 3 year starters and are starting to play like it. Fillies are undefeated against 2a competition. Girls are playing fast and focused at this point of the season. 

1 hour ago, TrickyD said:

Dyersburg is going in the wrong direction if they don’t get it figured out could be short post season

Don't always play as a team. Alot of egos on the team that has be figured out whose role is whose and accept that role for the team.  I'm scared that the lack of a true post may haunt them down the road as well. I feel that they need to speed up their play more, partially due to not having a true post but also due to having a deep bench. They can go 10 deep easy so I feel that they should play more up tempo. All that said, the sky is not falling after last night. They lost to a really good team. 

5 hours ago, TrickyD said:

Dyersburg is going in the wrong direction if they don’t get it figured out could be short post season

Not being full strength plays a big part of this IMO. Losing a couple of starters for whatever reason is a big deal. South Gibson has 2 starters on the bench with injuries and it just sucks.. Both are Juniors. We have a fresh playing lots of minutes. I will hold my tongue about DBurg just yet. 

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

Not being full strength plays a big part of this IMO. Losing a couple of starters for whatever reason is a big deal. South Gibson has 2 starters on the bench with injuries and it just sucks.. Both are Juniors. We have a fresh playing lots of minutes. I will hold my tongue about DBurg just yet. 

They were not sitting out for injuries more of a wake up call