Future of Dobyns Bennett Football

indians1987

On 12/14/2023 at 6:28 PM, Swipes said:

And lost 23-12 which wasn’t a bad showing at all against a State Champ.

I've already laid out what needs to happen at these 5a and 6a schools in the Tri-Cities but until you all do something about it, your statement is right.  It’s not like Greeneville and Betsy have been State Champs for forever or just breed insane athletes, they took the formula from schools like Maryville and Alcoa and replicated it because they were tired of getting beat by them

And Betsy & Greeneville moved into a classification void of Alcoa or Maryville...

Edited by CU06

35 minutes ago, CU06 said:

And Betsy & Greeneville moved into a classification void of Alcoa or Maryville...

Yes, both play where the TSSAA assigns them like most schools and they are no longer playing up a classification like they use to before the TSSAA went to 6 classifications.  Greeneville has played Alcoa after going to 6 classifications and are 1-1 against them.  Maryville is a different animal with 1,718 students.  My point still stand and when you have a larger school populations (2,503 for DB) then the probability of having more athletes is higher. (Its probability). If Greeneville or Betsy had 2,500 students with their coaching staffs I bet they would be competing for championships in 6a 

16 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Yes, both play where the TSSAA assigns them like most schools and they are no longer playing up a classification like they use to before the TSSAA went to 6 classifications.  Greeneville has played Alcoa after going to 6 classifications and are 1-1 against them.  Maryville is a different animal with 1,718 students.  My point still stand and when you have a larger school populations (2,503 for DB) then the probability of having more athletes is higher. (Its probability). If Greeneville or Betsy had 2,500 students with their coaching staffs I bet they would be competing for championships in 6a 

What?!?!?       If Greeneville or Betsy had the student populations of DB & Science Hill they would be smashing 6A + the privates.            Some years they might be able to do that even with a 4A enrollment.

21 minutes ago, Swipes said:

I took what you just said in that last sentence as....... If DB had Greeneville or Betsy's coaching staffs I bet they would be competing for championships in 6A. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I took what you just said in that last sentence as....... If DB had Greeneville or Betsy's coaching staffs I bet they would be competing for championships in 6A. 

You took it the right way and truly believe that.  Might piss off some of the Old heads at DB but it would start from the pee-wee league up and feel like they would be pulling more kids out of the hallways as they do now.  The coaching staff wouldn't have to worry about players going both ways with 2,500 students to pick from like they do now.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Swipes said:

You took it the right way and truly believe that.  Might piss off some of the Old heads at DB but it would start from the pee-wee league up and feel like they would be pulling more kids out of the hallways as they do now.  The coaching staff wouldn't have to worry about players going both ways with 2,500 students to pick from like they do now.

It's unthinkable that out of a 2500 student population you could not have 11 distinct players each for O & D.      I'm not that familiar with DB students, but the same is somewhat true @ Boone, I know for a fact that each year there are lots of guys who could make an incredible contribution to the team but they don't play for whatever reason.     In 2022 Boone went 12-1 for the first time in over 50 years and I really thought that 2023 would bring out some new guys who would have otherwise not played, but it didn't happen.                   I suspect there are enough quality players at DB to field 2 decent 6A teams.     Same for Science Hill (2380).

On 12/19/2023 at 12:07 PM, blazer1set said:

It's unthinkable that out of a 2500 student population you could not have 11 distinct players each for O & D.      I'm not that familiar with DB students, but the same is somewhat true @ Boone, I know for a fact that each year there are lots of guys who could make an incredible contribution to the team but they don't play for whatever reason.     In 2022 Boone went 12-1 for the first time in over 50 years and I really thought that 2023 would bring out some new guys who would have otherwise not played, but it didn't happen.                   I suspect there are enough quality players at DB to field 2 decent 6A teams.     Same for Science Hill (2380).

You keep harping on enrollment, but it doesn't mean squat without a good infrastructure and organization from the youth leagues on up, and it's never going to matter who DB hires as a head coach until that is addressed. 

8 hours ago, JDHoss said:

You keep harping on enrollment, but it doesn't mean squat without a good infrastructure and organization from the youth leagues on up, and it's never going to matter who DB hires as a head coach until that is addressed. 

Yeah it takes the whole picture to make it successful, i.e., the athletes roaming the halls probably won't play until the rest of the pieces are in place.       And conversely the rest of the pieces may not fall into place until all the athletes come out for the team.     Thus a logical paradox.                 But my point is that there is a statistical validity that the number of available athletes increases as the student population increases.

10 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I think if DB would hire a good coach that comes from a winning program and let him RUN (Thats the problem) the ship then there is no reason DB couldn't be winning championships!  A good coach knows what it takes and will start from the ground up in the youth leagues and trickle up like ive posted on here before.  It's crazy what buying into a program does, Greeneville was 4-6 and missed the playoffs before they hired McCurry from AC Reynolds that had won a State Championship.  He put the infrastructure in place that is still there today and brought back Ballard as the OC and the rest has been history.