Tennessee Wrestlers Nationally Ranked

Per FloWrestling rankings. Here is the few kids from Tennessee currently ranked top 20 in the country. 

Did they miss anyone? Who will do the best at the next level? Who are you excited to see compete at the next level?

113-

6. Jojo Uhorchuck (Signal Mountain)

120-

15. Mason Jakob (Dobyns Bennett)

138-

3. Cooper Hilton (Boom Ranch)

144-

19. Landon Desselle (Summit)

Willie from MatScouts has his own rankings. They're pretty close to Flo's however he did remove Cooper from his since he isnt currently competing in high school. He also has

165-

15. Logan Fowler (Cleveland)

Edited by WrestlingGod

14 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

Per FloWrestling rankings. Here is the few kids from Tennessee currently ranked top 20 in the country. 

Did they miss anyone? Who will do the best at the next level? Who are you excited to see compete at the next level?

113-

120-

138-

144-

Willie from MatScouts has his own rankings. They're pretty close to Flo's however he did remove Cooper from his since he isnt currently competing in high school. He also has

165-

Cooper keeps wrestling well at the College opens he may find himself ranked on the college boards. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

113-

120-

138-

144-

165-

Rob Atwood (Trousdale County) is two time state champion, finished 5th his other year. He's only lost a couple matches in his high school career. He is a VMI commit. 

23 minutes ago, Cam615 said:

Rob Atwood (Trousdale County) is two time state champion, finished 5th his other year. He's only lost a couple matches in his high school career. He is a VMI commit. 

I can tell you flat out, if you dont ever wrestle out of the state you're not going to catch a national ranking. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Keep in mind only two young men in the last five to seven years have had any sustained success at the D1 level. Brayden Palmer and Cody Chittum (granted one season but he is definitely the real deal). Trae McDaniel was just hitting his full stride when he got injured.  Hunter Mason appears to be on the path to success.  Mason Reiniche at Oregon seems to be having himself a pretty good year as well.   I think Jackson Hurst might be the starter at 157 for UTC (well done Jackson).  

What I've learned is that High School success means absolutely nothing, other than a door may open.  I think the vast majority, almost all to be honest, TN wrestlers would be better served going D2, D3, or NAIA if wrestling is something that is really important to them.    If the goal is simply to be on the team while getting a good education then that's fine but success within wrestling in D1, as I would define it, is very rare.  The next logical question is what defines success.  For me, if a wrestler can crack the lineup and start plus have a five hundred or better record then they made it.  

I'm not going to reel off the long list of names of current TN college wrestlers who currently have a very small chance of cracking their starting lineup as things stand, have sub five hundred records, quit before they ever got started (maybe injured), or don't ever seem to get the opportunity to wrestle.

As far as who I think might make an impact at the next level, have sustained success, and actually wrestle more than a handful of times per year on a D1 college team, hmmm, none. I'll believe it when I see it because D1 college wrestling is INSANELY TOUGH.   I hope that statement fuels some kids (and not their parents) to prove doubters like me wrong.  What I've seen in college wrestling is simply ridiculous.  Excellence at the highest level. 

At levels below D1 I think many could be quite successful. 

Edited by oceansize42
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, oceansize42 said:

Keep in mind only two young men in the last five to seven years have had any sustained success at the D1 level. Brayden Palmer and Cody Chittum (granted one season but he is definitely the real deal). Trae McDaniel was just hitting his full stride when he got injured.  Hunter Mason appears to be on the path to success.  Mason Reiniche at Oregon seems to be having himself a pretty good year as well.   I think Jackson Hurst might be the starter at 157 for UTC (well done Jackson).  

What I've learned is that High School success means absolutely nothing, other than a door may open.  I think the vast majority, almost all to be honest, TN wrestlers would be better served going D2, D3, or NAIA if wrestling is something that is really important to them.    If the goal is simply to be on the team while getting a good education then that's fine but success within wrestling in D1, as I would define it, is very rare.  The next logical question is what defines success.  For me, if a wrestler can crack the lineup and start plus have a five hundred or better record then they made it.  

I'm not going to reel off the long list of names of current TN college wrestlers who currently have a very small chance of cracking their starting lineup as things stand, have sub five hundred records, quit before they ever got started (maybe injured), or don't ever seem to get the opportunity to wrestle.

As far as who I think might make an impact at the next level, have sustained success, and actually wrestle more than a handful of times per year on a D1 college team, hmmm, none. I'll believe it when I see it because D1 college wrestling is INSANELY TOUGH.   I hope that statement fuels some kids (and not their parents) to prove doubters like me wrong.  What I've seen in college wrestling is simply ridiculous.  Excellence at the highest level. 

At levels below D1 I think many could be quite successful. 

Tennessee as a wrestling state IS growing. Regardless of what the trolls on here would have one believe. And while you're correct, high school success doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme, I think what you fail to mention is IN STATE high school success doesn't exactly measure long term division 1 success. I don't remember the last time TN had 7 or 8 kids ranked in the country. I don't remember the last time we had MULTIPLE medalists at Powerade, Beast of the East, Brecksville etc and the other tournaments that have tradiationally been reserved for the St Paris Grahams, Blair, Clovis, Wyoming Sem, St Eds, level teams. The fact that our kids are starting to medal at these semi regularly now I think is a great indicator of where we are headed as a state and a good measuring stick as to what this current group of kids are capable of doing at the highest levels. 

I think to tell these kids who not only have dreams of going D1 but have already signed commitment letters (Fowler, Desselle, Hilton, Hart, Little etc) that "Sorry, despite this universtiy telling you they want you on their team and they value what you can bring to the program, you're better served going D2 or D3 or NAIA". Isn't just doing them a disservice its doing Tennessee Wrestling a disservice as well. We should be promoting these kids getting out to major programs. Not discouraging it. 

Edited by WrestlingGod
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, WrestlingGod said:

Tennessee as a wrestling state IS growing. Regardless of what the trolls on here would have one believe. And while you're correct, high school success doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme, I think what you fail to mention is IN STATE high school success doesn't exactly measure long term division 1 success. I don't remember the last time TN had 7 or 8 kids ranked in the country. I don't remember the last time we had MULTIPLE medalists at Powerade, Beast of the East, Brecksville etc and the other tournaments that have tradiationally been reserved for the St Paris Grahams, Blair, Clovis, Wyoming Sem, St Eds, level teams. The fact that our kids are starting to medal at these semi regularly now I think is a great indicator of where we are headed as a state and a good measuring stick as to what this current group of kids are capable of doing at the highest levels. 

I think to tell these kids who not only have dreams of going D1 but have already signed commitment letters (Fowler, Desselle, Hilton, Hart, Little etc) that "Sorry, despite this universtiy telling you they want you on their team and they value what you can bring to the program, you're better served going D2 or D3 or NAIA". Isn't just doing them a disservice its doing Tennessee Wrestling a disservice as well. We should be promoting these kids getting out to major programs. Not discouraging it. 

I'm saying chase it but be aware all is not what it seems.  Parents and sometimes coaches have a slightly unrealistic view concerning what it really takes to be successful, and sustain that success, at D1.   It is a lot of hard work to get signed but it is incredibly difficult to do more than just be on the team within D1 and we all know it.   That is a negative statement. No doubt everything I said is negative with respect to most young men's ability to "make it" once signed, but I stand by it. I've watched the D1 ranks and it isn't pretty.  You are wrong however about my statement concerning lesser college divisions, that isn't a put down, that is what most should do.

Edited by oceansize42

2 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

I'm saying chase it but be aware all is not what it seems.  Parents and sometimes coaches have a slightly unrealistic view concerning what it really takes to be successful at D1.   It is a lot of hard work to get signed but it is incredibly difficult to do more than just be on the team within D1 and we all know it.   That is a negative statement. No doubt everything I said is negative with respect to most young men's ability to "make it" once signed, but I stand by it. I've watched the D1 ranks and it isn't pretty. 

If they weren’t capable of succeeding at the next level they wouldn’t be being recruited.

With all due respect, I’ll take the judgment of an ncaa div1 coach over your skepticism. 

• Like 1