#1 Soddy v. #2 Signal

cowcatcherII

3 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I agree on Davis. He looks really good.  I think at this point SD could contend with Summit. They beat DB and Halls. 

in AA I do think they could contend with Blackman, Nolensville, Brentwood and maybe even Summit, they beat DB pretty badly at Wilson Central duals, although I don't know if either team was full strength. 

This Soddy team has lived up to the hype. Last night showed they are the best team to ever come through small school when they are healthy. They should win the duals and individuals with ease. Signal could have handpicked the matches and it still would not have changed much in my opinion. Wade and Davis looked great for Soddy. Jenkins also impressed me the way he dominated Signal’s younger Davis brother. 

Despite there not being many competitive matches it was a great atmosphere and worth the drive for me. 

I will say that I think Signal has been overhyped this year. Outside of the Uhorchuks, the big Davis at 175, and Higdon at 106, they’re average to below average in almost every weight class. I expect Sam Everett to give them a run for their money tonight. 

Crockett and Pigeon Forge should both beat Signal after what I saw last night. Those are probably the most likely candidates to meet Soddy in the finals next weekend. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, cowcatcherII said:

Crockett and Pigeon Forge should both beat Signal after what I saw last night. Those are probably the most likely candidates to meet Soddy in the finals next weekend. 

Crockett has to get by Anderson County. I'm pulling for Crockett but that matchup is actually tough.  Anderson beat them earlier this year (39-33) and gave up a FF at 132 while doing so.  See if lineups change or what modifications are made...

Edited by oceansize42
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cowcatcherII said:

This Soddy team has lived up to the hype. Last night showed they are the best team to ever come through small school when they are healthy. They should win the duals and individuals with ease. Signal could have handpicked the matches and it still would not have changed much in my opinion. Wade and Davis looked great for Soddy. Jenkins also impressed me the way he dominated Signal’s younger Davis brother. 

Despite there not being many competitive matches it was a great atmosphere and worth the drive for me. 

I will say that I think Signal has been overhyped this year. Outside of the Uhorchuks, the big Davis at 175, and Higdon at 106, they’re average to below average in almost every weight class. I expect Sam Everett to give them a run for their money tonight. 

Yeah, the 106 Higdon you can tell has been there before, our freshman had a rough time with him last night, Rawlinson did well for the first minute but after that you could see older Davis turned it on and Rawlinson got caught and like you said the Uhorchuks always bring it! After going over their results I was expecting more from Signal and some of their wrestlers but after last night I do agree they could force Soddy who to bring out and it would be closer but not sure it would be close to enough.  I was VERY impressed with Ayden Jenkins last night, I thought it was the right call to not put him down last night and choose neutral for the 3rd, just hate he gave up a wild TD that put him to his back that he almost had as a TD and BP himself. Should have been a tech instead of a MD and I was not expecting that decision at all. I will say since they did move around weights so much we didn't see Carter Lynch who is ranked last night for Signal, maybe if they throw Jojo at 120 and let Lynch wrestle his usual 126 against Duncan they have a better chance to get some points back.

I do expect them to get a good match or 2 in at State Duals, surely someone out there has a tough small school team? I do agree they should win individuals, they have a chance to place 10 maybe even more although not many champs. Anyone know why Elijah Turner hasn't wrestled much at all this year?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

Yeah, the 106 Higdon you can tell has been there before, our freshman had a rough time with him last night, Rawlinson did well for the first minute but after that you could see older Davis turned it on and Rawlinson got caught and like you said the Uhorchuks always bring it! After going over their results I was expecting more from Signal and some of their wrestlers but after last night I do agree they could force Soddy who to bring out and it would be closer but not sure it would be close to enough.  I was VERY impressed with Ayden Jenkins last night, I thought it was the right call to not put him down last night and choose neutral for the 3rd, just hate he gave up a wild TD that put him to his back that he almost had as a TD and BP himself. Should have been a tech instead of a MD and I was not expecting that decision at all. I will say since they did move around weights so much we didn't see Carter Lynch who is ranked last night for Signal, maybe if they throw Jojo at 120 and let Lynch wrestle his usual 126 against Duncan they have a better chance to get some points back.

I do expect them to get a good match or 2 in at State Duals, surely someone out there has a tough small school team? I do agree they should win individuals, they have a chance to place 10 maybe even more although not many champs. Anyone know why Elijah Turner hasn't wrestled much at all this year?

Just my opinion but Pigeon Forge probably matches up the best with Soddy. There are a lot of really good match ups there. In the end,  Soddy is the more complete team and the bonus points they'll get at 106 and heavy will create distance. 

All those matches have the potential to be fun to watch.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Just my opinion but Pigeon Forge probably matches up the best with Soddy. There are a lot of really good match ups there. In the end,  Soddy is the more complete team and the bonus points they'll get at 106 and heavy will create distance. 

All those matches have the potential to be fun to watch.  

I agree with this and the fact PF is always a tough out, great coaching up there! You are right, the nerves got to our Luke last night, it was a big moment and that gym was rocking and we just had 3 straight pins so it was a mad house at that point, so I have a feeling he's going to come out the next time much better against Higdon. I mean Higdon placed last year so he's been in this position before. So I'll be interested to see how they matchup when it comes at the regions and maybe the sectionals also! I was impressed last night with a bunch of those kids, I mean we all know Duncan, Lewis, boogie, Turner, Rawlinson, Ross since they are returning placers I think from last year. Pete has looked good so far, Wade looked good last night also and of course the before mentioned Davis at heavy! Wysong also looked good at 144 and Colin Bull is a pretty good wrestler to fill in when needed as is Nathan Moungsiharat. So they are a strong team with really no holes! 

On 1/26/2024 at 11:02 AM, oceansize42 said:

Crockett has to get by Anderson County. I'm pulling for Crockett but that matchup is actually tough.  Anderson beat them earlier this year (39-33) and gave up a FF at 132 while doing so.  See if lineups change or what modifications are made...

Buddy called me with the results.

AC got by Crockett 36-33. Some line up changes but nothing that matters in the end.  

9 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Buddy called me with the results.

AC got by Crockett 36-33. Some line up changes but nothing that matters in the end.  

That’s twice in the last three years mere points have kept them from going. The good news is they should be right back in the mix again next year.   

• Upvote 1