2024 Heritage Mountaineers

6 minutes ago, camppack said:

Hammontree is a great strength and conditioning guy. I love his old school, disciplined approach that also integrates a real deep expertise. Any athlete who is willing to commit to his program will get better working with him in the weight room. 

FarmTeam could have meant the DC that just left was the cookie cutter weight program guy. If so, I retract my sarcasm. 

5 hours ago, camppack said:

Agreed. Josh is a very high quality person who offers a low key personality that will complement the high strung HC. Solid defensive coach who will run a fundamentally sound scheme. Been around both the middle school and high school programs at Heritage for quite awhile. Married to an Assistant Principal at HHS.

Who is the new weight room coach?

Not sure if the school has officially announced the weight room hire yet, so out of respect to the staff there, I should probably not be the one to drop the name here first. Will say he’s a community guy, former player from a couple of decades or so ago, and is well educated in all things fitness. Practices what he preaches, is safe & knows what he’s doing. Has already worked with several of the multi sport athletes and it’s made a difference. (He doesn’t run a training business, so no conflict of interest. Has just volunteered his time and his home facility thus far for several of the athletes.) He’s a successful small business owner who has employed several of the current players seasonally for periodic manual labor. That’s been his main connection to most of them, and it evidently segued into him becoming the new weight room coach. Ask any of the athletes who’ve already worked with him, and they’re excited to have him on board & are glad he’s agreed to do it.

10 hours ago, FarmTeam said:

Not sure if the school has officially announced the weight room hire yet, so out of respect to the staff there, I should probably not be the one to drop the name here first. Will say he’s a community guy, former player from a couple of decades or so ago, and is well educated in all things fitness. Practices what he preaches, is safe & knows what he’s doing. Has already worked with several of the multi sport athletes and it’s made a difference. (He doesn’t run a training business, so no conflict of interest. Has just volunteered his time and his home facility thus far for several of the athletes.) He’s a successful small business owner who has employed several of the current players seasonally for periodic manual labor. That’s been his main connection to most of them, and it evidently segued into him becoming the new weight room coach. Ask any of the athletes who’ve already worked with him, and they’re excited to have him on board & are glad he’s agreed to do it.

wow! What a write up!  Are you this guy's agent? check is in the mail.  If half of that's true, Heritage just got better.  Best of luck to the eers is 2024, beat Clinton!

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2024 at 6:53 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

I'm pretty sure he will find someone just as he did when he put a staff together two years ago. This past year was a really young team but managed to score 290 points on offense. Go back two years ago and they scored 85 points for the entire season and got mercy ruled 6 different times. The only benefit going to those games was discounted concession stand food in the second half as time flew off the clock. Take it from Barney, Coach Oz knows more in one of his finger nails then any of us Coach T quarterbacks know in our entire body. This man walked into one of the biggest messes in Tennessee High School Football and blew air into a lifeless cadaver and brought it back to life. Go back and watch that Central game from last year where most teams would have given up and those boy's didn't give up and came back. Even though they lost they came an inch of pulling it off. Never thought I would live to see the day anyone could go out there and do what he has so far.

You do realize only one of the 3 or 4 he brought in that were not locals to TN stayed. One left before he even got started, another left halfway through. He has hired from Eagleton youth league, middle school, Sequoyah, some of those are either gone or fired and he's currently on twitter searching for a DB coach after promoting Whitehead to DC since the other left for Shad's program at Catholic. Whether he knows people or not, doesn't mean they are willing to take a pay cut and try to breathe life into a program that the school board still tries to run into the ground (new turf or not). You've got players quitting, too and from the word around the area it has nothing to do with playing time or not being able to be coached. More about boundaries being crossed, favoritism, no team atmosphere and lack of respect. Guess we'll see what happens this year. 

18 minutes ago, swift13 said:

You do realize only one of the 3 or 4 he brought in that were not locals to TN stayed. One left before he even got started, another left halfway through. He has hired from Eagleton youth league, middle school, Sequoyah, some of those are either gone or fired and he's currently on twitter searching for a DB coach after promoting Whitehead to DC since the other left for Shad's program at Catholic. Whether he knows people or not, doesn't mean they are willing to take a pay cut and try to breathe life into a program that the school board still tries to run into the ground (new turf or not). You've got players quitting, too and from the word around the area it has nothing to do with playing time or not being able to be coached. More about boundaries being crossed, favoritism, no team atmosphere and lack of respect. Guess we'll see what happens this year. 

Yeah, when that "get your piss hot" video came out,  it was pretty clear that the culture there was not a happy healthy nurturing environment, just seemed really strange for how to motivate high school kids in this day and age.  I'm all about a pep talk, lets get fired up, etc. etc.  but that video  was just bizarre.  

37 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Yeah, when that "get your piss hot" video came out,  it was pretty clear that the culture there was not a happy healthy nurturing environment, just seemed really strange for how to motivate high school kids in this day and age.  I'm all about a pep talk, lets get fired up, etc. etc.  but that video  was just bizarre.  

I know there's cussing and frustration and fury to fuel fires in the guts of kids to get 'em going, fired up and ready to play, especially at the college level. However, this is still high school with impressionable 14 yr olds +. Unfortunately, from what's been said around the bend, it's more belittling and a very I, ME mentality. Hate that for everybody if it's true. 

Edited by swift13

21 minutes ago, swift13 said:

I know there's cussing and frustration and fury to fuel fires in the guts of kids to get 'em going, fired up and ready to play, especially at the college level. However, this is still high school will impressionable 14 yr olds +. Unfortunately, from what's been said around the bend, it's more belittling and a very I, ME mentality. Hate that for everybody if it's true. 

Probably not a good idea to call kids the female part below the waist.  Not effective in 2024.

Edited by oridgecat

8 hours ago, swift13 said:

You've got players quitting, too and from the word around the area it has nothing to do with playing time or not being able to be coached. More about boundaries being crossed, favoritism, no team atmosphere and lack of respect. Guess we'll see what happens this year. 

Hearing the same thing from people I know associated with the program. The OZ hype was a big boost initially but reality has set in. He has only one priority and that's promoting himself. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before he decides to go elsewhere, engages in such egregious behavior he has to be fired or those involved in hiring him finally admit they made a huge mistake and do the right thing. The kids in this program deserve better and the school administration should be ashamed and embarrassed they've created this mess. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, camppack said:

Hearing the same thing from people I know associated with the program. The OZ hype was a big boost initially but reality has set in. He has only one priority and that's promoting himself. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before he decides to go elsewhere, engages in such egregious behavior he has to be fired or those involved in hiring him finally admit they made a huge mistake and do the right thing. The kids in this program deserve better and the school administration should be ashamed and embarrassed they've created this mess. 

Wasn't things so much better for you all when they went 0-10 or when your 1,500 yard rusher (Wright) left to go play at Alcoa or when Jett left to play at Maryville because they got tired of the azz beatings and the humiliation they felt from all of that losing. Could you imagine if Coach OZ brought a cattle prod and stuck it up to your son's tail end at practice or made the offensive linemen push a station wagon while the coach was in the drivers seat mashing down on the brakes. If you think Coach Oz is a bad man then I guess you never heard of A.J. Wilson who coached for Walland most of the 50's and early 60's. If I hadn't of heard those stories from such credible men such as the late Benny Dalton ,Don Story and a host of other great friends from Walland that played during that time I wouldn't have believed it. They all just laughed about it while telling it but none had anything bad to say about him. Just like your QB that started the last two years at Heritage, he only had the best to say about Coach Oz and how much he helped him when I talked to him a few weeks ago. Coach Oz is what the doctor ordered for Heritage, a little "Shock and Awe" and the resistance still out there pushing their narrative and praying for a loss every week.

1 minute ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Wasn't things so much better for you all when they went 0-10 or when your 1,500 yard rusher (Wright) left to go play at Alcoa or when Jett left to play at Maryville because they got tired of the azz beatings and the humiliation they felt from all of that losing. Could you imagine if Coach OZ brought a cattle prod and stuck it up to your son's tail end at practice or made the offensive linemen push a station wagon while the coach was in the drivers seat mashing down on the brakes. If you think Coach Oz is a bad man then I guess you never heard of A.J. Wilson who coached for Walland most of the 50's and early 60's. If I hadn't of heard those stories from such credible men such as the late Benny Dalton ,Don Story and a host of other great friends from Walland that played during that time I wouldn't have believed it. They all just laughed about it while telling it but none had anything bad to say about him. Just like your QB that started the last two years at Heritage, he only had the best to say about Coach Oz and how much he helped him when I talked to him a few weeks ago. Coach Oz is what the doctor ordered for Heritage, a little "Shock and Awe" and the resistance still out there pushing their narrative and praying for a loss every week.

Barney, it's sad that you truly think you know everything that occurs out at Heritage, with all due respect, sir, you do not. 

Players leave programs every single year from every school, losing or not. We can just leave that alone. No leg to stand on there. 

You can talk to any player that is still needing this coach to do things for him and if he's been "coached on what to say enough" he won't say one negative thing about the program. 

I'm not sure who is pushing a 'narrative' of losing as it seems the other athletes and other athletic programs seem to be doing a dang good job at Heritage. Winning seasons, record setting seasons and more.

People who know you aren't going to divulge information you are probably going to talk about, they aren't going to admit their faults, the screw ups, and what's being hidden under the rug. 

If you only knew a sliver of what goes on in the classroom and locker room at that school, you'd know why the respect, the social media backers, the 'hype' is fading. 

But go on, Barney, talk your talk, everybody lets you do that. Use your past cliches and reminiscing of the good ol' days to try and talk around and never circle back on your replies. 

12 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

With all the hype and over the top antics, what has this coach accomplished that previous head coaches didn’t?