2024 Heritage Mountaineers

8 hours ago, swift13 said:

DC? the one that also leads their weight room? 

how will HHS fill that blank space?

I'm pretty sure he will find someone just as he did when he put a staff together two years ago. This past year was a really young team but managed to score 290 points on offense. Go back two years ago and they scored 85 points for the entire season and got mercy ruled 6 different times. The only benefit going to those games was discounted concession stand food in the second half as time flew off the clock. Take it from Barney, Coach Oz knows more in one of his finger nails then any of us Coach T quarterbacks know in our entire body. This man walked into one of the biggest messes in Tennessee High School Football and blew air into a lifeless cadaver and brought it back to life. Go back and watch that Central game from last year where most teams would have given up and those boy's didn't give up and came back. Even though they lost they came an inch of pulling it off. Never thought I would live to see the day anyone could go out there and do what he has so far.

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I'm pretty sure he will find someone just as he did when he put a staff together two years ago. This past year was a really young team but managed to score 290 points on offense. Go back two years ago and they scored 85 points for the entire season and got mercy ruled 6 different times. The only benefit going to those games was discounted concession stand food in the second half as time flew off the clock. Take it from Barney, Coach Oz knows more in one of his finger nails then any of us Coach T quarterbacks know in our entire body. This man walked into one of the biggest messes in Tennessee High School Football and blew air into a lifeless cadaver and brought it back to life. Go back and watch that Central game from last year where most teams would have given up and those boy's didn't give up and came back. Even though they lost they came an inch of pulling it off. Never thought I would live to see the day anyone could go out there and do what he has so far.

I can’t believe the defense coordinator is already leaving. I would imagine he's going for a head coaching job. I don’t even think he’s graduated from UT yet, which is kind of crazy. He had things moving in the right direction for that mountaineers defense. It's going to be a hard task to replace him, but I’m sure it could be done.

8 hours ago, Dawgz4life said:

I can’t believe the defense coordinator is already leaving. I would imagine he's going for a head coaching job. I don’t even think he’s graduated from UT yet, which is kind of crazy. He had things moving in the right direction for that mountaineers defense. It's going to be a hard task to replace him, but I’m sure it could be done.

The defense gave up 35 points a game if that's moving in the right direction but I won't be a smart azz about it because they were young. If they lose someone on staff there I'm pretty sure school won't be shut down a day to grieve over it. Coach Oz would be happy for anyone moving up the ladder in their career and knows who to call next if that were to happen. Any coach that has been at the level he has been knows to always be ready when they have to make that call.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, swift13 said:

when you lose your DC to Shad...

ouch. 

Shad wasn't really that bad of a coach. Don't think he had ever experienced anything like William Blount. He came from a school that had a lot of money support at Blackman and had the ability to do things there he couldn't at William Blount. Actually he did a good job at Eagleton the year before last. Catholic has money to get what he needs like a DC that Heritage can't match.

54 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Shad wasn't really that bad of a coach. Don't think he had ever experienced anything like William Blount. He came from a school that had a lot of money support at Blackman and had the ability to do things there he couldn't at William Blount. Actually he did a good job at Eagleton the year before last. Catholic has money to get what he needs like a DC that Heritage can't match.

Didn't hurt that he had his own booster club checkbook at Blackman. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alphaking95 said:

Hear the new DC at HHS gonna be the DL coach. Anyone heard anything on this Whitehead guy? All I’ve heard is good things. Heard defense will stay similar with a few of his new things. 

Whitehead is a top notch, composed guy and role model. Came up from the middle school 2 yrs ago, so he’s coached most of the rising Jrs & Srs since 6th grade and has built good relationships w/them. He knows them and their skill sets well and will know how best to use them, if he’s given the autonomy to do so. The middle school defense was solid when these kids were in 7th/8th grade & I suspect/ hope we’ll see some positive changes under his leadership this upcoming season.

Also hope to see more players going both ways. Not popular, but they don’t have the luxury not to use the talent they’ve got both ways, if they’re going to compete, much less win. If done properly/carefully, they can maximize talent w/out burning players by the 4th quarter. Hope to see more of that next year. 

The new weight room coach is also a great hire. Very knowledgeable, current and good w/ the kids. Completely overhauling their entire program, with workouts individualized  & specific to player position (vs the dated, cookie cutter regimen they'd been doing). He’ll bring high expectations, much needed old school discipline, current innovations & serious business to the weight room. Should see some huge gains in the off season w/ this guy. 

50 minutes ago, FarmTeam said:

Whitehead is a top notch, composed guy and role model. Came up from the middle school 2 yrs ago, so he’s coached most of the rising Jrs & Srs since 6th grade and has built good relationships w/them. He knows them and their skill sets well and will know how best to use them, if he’s given the autonomy to do so. The middle school defense was solid when these kids were in 7th/8th grade & I suspect/ hope we’ll see some positive changes under his leadership this upcoming season.

Agreed. Josh is a very high quality person who offers a low key personality that will complement the high strung HC. Solid defensive coach who will run a fundamentally sound scheme. Been around both the middle school and high school programs at Heritage for quite awhile. Married to an Assistant Principal at HHS.

Who is the new weight room coach?

28 minutes ago, swift13 said:

Mutual friends of mine are either other sport coaches at Heritage or friends with them and all collectively agree that their athletes being trained in the weight room by Hammondtree have made an incredible difference. From what they've said, his ability to individualize what each athlete needs depending on their specific sport and position is something you don't see anymore. Some compared his abilities to that of college level and the athletes respect him and his knowledge. But, it's crazy, none of them said cookie cutter and dated.

Wonder if it's because of years and years battling for new equipment, let alone a new weight room. It was finally completed after he resigned. I admire the guy for going in that school every day training other athletes after he beat his head against the wall for years trying to get new coaches on staff, getting their locker room fixed (complete with AC and eradication of mold), battling the school board on multiple occasions. Most of those things I'm sure went unnoticed considering the guy isn't a limelight type.

I get it, he's hard headed and old school ... oh wait, you mentioned this new guy is old school. Does old school = dated? 

Hammontree is a great strength and conditioning guy. I love his old school, disciplined approach that also integrates a real deep expertise. Any athlete who is willing to commit to his program will get better working with him in the weight room. 

• Upvote 1