3 vs. 4 classifications in basketball.

QSouth89

On 2/15/2024 at 11:57 AM, bounder said:

But the truth is the bottom half is not competitive now so you haven’t lost anything. 

I definitely think you are starting to see the effect of 4 classification, 1A in the east is way down, 3A looks to be somewhat down, 2A is loaded and 4A is good too. Good back to 3 classification. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will they go back to 3 classes, probably not. I certainly like seeing more teams have opportunities with the four class system. However, there is no question that it has watered down the competition in late season games. The average margin of victory in the boys sectional games last night was 36 points. That is an insane number to me. It would be interesting to see the numbers year by year in region championship games and sectionals. Especially comparing big moves in TSSAA like 4 classes or the public/private split. 

I believe the average margin of victory in the girls sectional games was around 16 points. Crazy as well. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Charger731 said:

Will they go back to 3 classes, probably not. I certainly like seeing more teams have opportunities with the four class system. However, there is no question that it has watered down the competition in late season games. The average margin of victory in the boys sectional games last night was 36 points. That is an insane number to me. It would be interesting to see the numbers year by year in region championship games and sectionals. Especially comparing big moves in TSSAA like 4 classes or the public/private split. 

I believe the average margin of victory in the girls sectional games was around 16 points. Crazy as well. 

Some of the scores are crazy to me as well. I don’t think I remember a sub state game having a team blow the opposing team by 53 points

On 2/12/2024 at 2:48 PM, QSouth89 said:

Does anyone else believe that the TSSAA should return to 3 classifications in basketball?

3. Just one example- East Nashville won one game against an opponent with a winning record since district tourneys began and needed OT to beat that average team last night and made the state tourney… only 3 wins against above .500 teams all year.  Really 4 pub classes just not necessary in my opinion. Sure everybody feels good cause more gold balls and more money for T$$AA.

On 2/14/2024 at 8:30 PM, WTFAN75 said:

Dropping to 3 classes in basketball and 4 in football would pretty much eliminate the bottom half of single-A from  being competitive. 

I liked the proposal that was on the table before the recent reclass. 

With that mindset there is always a limit of schools who are “eliminated” from being competitive its just how far. heck have 8 classes

This discussion is very good. I looked at margin of victory for last night’s sectionals and average margin of victory was 16.7 ppg, contrast that with 2019 average margin of victory of 11.3 ppg. There were some blowouts sure, but there are every year. My feeling is that the whole state has been a little down the last couple years in boys. Some perennial powers have been just ok. Don’t see us going back to 3 classes, just like football will not drop classes to make it more competitive. Athletics in Tennessee need 4 classes across the board for all sports but again just don’t see it happening. 

15 hours ago, attila said:

This discussion is very good. I looked at margin of victory for last night’s sectionals and average margin of victory was 16.7 ppg, contrast that with 2019 average margin of victory of 11.3 ppg. There were some blowouts sure, but there are every year. My feeling is that the whole state has been a little down the last couple years in boys. Some perennial powers have been just ok. Don’t see us going back to 3 classes, just like football will not drop classes to make it more competitive. Athletics in Tennessee need 4 classes across the board for all sports but again just don’t see it happening. 

Down in comparison to what? Which perennial powers are you referring to? I feel like as coaches and players continue to be more transient (wrong or right, it is what happens) there is naturally going to be more ebb and flow to who is up and down. Overall, I think splitting private and public, has dramatically impacted the overall talent pool. Whereas before, privates held such an advantage over public schools, now they are having to compete with people on a more level field. In my opinion, this has really raised the overall level of private school basketball. Lots of fun teams to watch. Public has some good teams too, but I agree that overall it seems down. 

I guess you all are right, Hard to talk about 3 or 4 classes and not discuss privates. Of course when the voucher system goes into effect along with the one transfer with no penalty of sitting out a year and the NIL coming into the high school ranks, then it will be like the wild wild west. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 6:44 PM, HonkyNinja12 said:

3. Just one example- East Nashville won one game against an opponent with a winning record since district tourneys began and needed OT to beat that average team last night and made the state tourney… only 3 wins against above .500 teams all year.  Really 4 pub classes just not necessary in my opinion. Sure everybody feels good cause more gold balls and more money for T$$AA.

So many Blowouts today. 2A was so far from being a competitive product with all these darn classes.

3 hours ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

So many Blowouts today. 2A was so far from being a competitive product with all these darn classes.

Yep. 4 classes has unfortunately watered down the quality of competition at the state tournament level. Only one game today was decided by single digits. 4 team districts, and 8 team regions mean that 25% (region champion and runner up, 2/8) of teams are getting to play in sectionals. Compare that back to when there were 3 classes. 8-9 team districts, regions were between 15-18 teams. 

With 4 classes we are getting matchups of the top 25% but with 3 classes only around 10% of teams made sectionals. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Charger731 said:

Yep. 4 classes has unfortunately watered down the quality of competition at the state tournament level. Only one game today was decided by single digits. 4 team districts, and 8 team regions mean that 25% (region champion and runner up, 2/8) of teams are getting to play in sectionals. Compare that back to when there were 3 classes. 8-9 team districts, regions were between 15-18 teams. 

With 4 classes we are getting matchups of the top 25% but with 3 classes only around 10% of teams made sectionals. 

3 classes had 112 teams per class.  In that system, 14% (16/112) of teams made the sectionals in each class.  

In the 4 class system, each class has 85 teams.  Currently, 19% (16/85) of teams in each class make the sectional.