3 vs. 4 classifications in basketball.

QSouth89

16 minutes ago, bounder said:

But the truth is the bottom half is not competitive now so you haven’t lost anything. 

Schools with 150 kids should not be competing against schools with nearly 400. The proposal I mentioned paired the smallest 32 schools for Single-A. Call it Zero-A for all I care. At least they’d have a fight chance. 

21 hours ago, WTFAN75 said:

Schools with 150 kids should not be competing against schools with nearly 400. The proposal I mentioned paired the smallest 32 schools for Single-A. Call it Zero-A for all I care. At least they’d have a fight chance. 

If they just said here are the classes. All sports... Here are the classes. I would be very happy. I would love 4 classes for all sports and the same regions for all sports. Just do region tournament and take the top 8 teams for basketball. Would that work?

21 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

If they just said here are the classes. All sports... Here are the classes. I would be very happy. I would love 4 classes for all sports and the same regions for all sports. Just do region tournament and take the top 8 teams for basketball. Would that work?

I love the idea of 4 classes for all sports with the same regions/districts across all sports.  It would really allow for rivalries to develop.  Don't think it will ever happen.  Can't see football dropping to four.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:05 AM, QSouth89 said:

I agree, being spread like it is, I don't see how the TSSAA is making any money. 4 and 5 team districts, an entire football class in D2 made up of just 12 teams.  In my opinion it looks bad.  They should go back to 3 classes in basketball for DI, two classes for DII, in football 4 classes in DI and two classes in DII. But alas. it's not my decision.

TSSAA doesn't take any money until the post season. 

Now there are more district and regional tournaments than before.

5 hours ago, maddams said:

I love the idea of 4 classes for all sports with the same regions/districts across all sports.  It would really allow for rivalries to develop.  Don't think it will ever happen.  Can't see football dropping to four.

Wayyyy too simple! Easy to understand... better to develop/continue rivalry games... easier to determine/maintain regional matchups while minimizing excessive travel times/distances. No legitimate reason not to go to this format, so basically it has zero chance of happening.

FWIW... I think it's the best option hands down, but I ain't in charge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

TSSAA doesn't take any money until the post season. 

Now there are more district and regional tournaments than before.

With these new streaming rules letting anybody stream the games on Facebook and YouTube for every sport for a large fee, not to mention I am almost positive they get a cut from NFHS too! They are making plenty of money during the regular season! 

Edited by TheTruthHurts22

13 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Maybe, but what about the schools that don’t play football. We do have several of those in west TN. Single -A basketball would then be bigger than the other classes and again make it very tough for the schools under 200 to compete. 

On 2/16/2024 at 8:49 AM, maddams said:

On 2/16/2024 at 8:26 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I think just doing 8 Regions would keep it more honest because the Region play the true seeding would be accurate. When you have a tough District and the other District is terrible teams actually get penalized for winning District Championships. Number of games would probably be inline you just wouldn't have a District Tournament due to more teams.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:30 PM, WTFAN75 said:

Dropping to 3 classes in basketball and 4 in football would pretty much eliminate the bottom half of single-A from  being competitive. 

I liked the proposal that was on the table before the recent reclass. 

4 classes allows some class A schools a better chance at experiencing success in post season, especially in basketball in my opinion.  I personally like the 4 class system for basketball and spring sports.  Don’t think the TSSAA would ever drop to 4 classes in football, that’s just my opinion.  

• Like 1