A coaching question

ReitzFan

While at a basketball game this week, I came across something strange and I'd love to hear the opinions of others. A team arrived with 4 coaches All4 worked with the team in pregamwarm-ups. However, when the game started only 2 were on the bench. As it turns out, the other 2 coaches took up seats in the home teams section on the front row at mid court. They were giving players instructions from the opposite side from where their bench was. At half time the got up and went straight to the locker room. When it was time for the second half, they came out with the team and went back to the seats they occupied during the fist half where they repeated their coaching antics from the first half. At games end, they went back to the locker room and came back outwit the team and loaded the bus and left.

My question is simple, was what they did illegal in the eyes of the TSSAA? Or, was it unethical or just unsportsmanlike like? 

What say you Coach T members?

9 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

While at a basketball game this week, I came across something strange and I'd love to hear the opinions of others. A team arrived with 4 coaches All4 worked with the team in pregamwarm-ups. However, when the game started only 2 were on the bench. As it turns out, the other 2 coaches took up seats in the home teams section on the front row at mid court. They were giving players instructions from the opposite side from where their bench was. At half time the got up and went straight to the locker room. When it was time for the second half, they came out with the team and went back to the seats they occupied during the fist half where they repeated their coaching antics from the first half. At games end, they went back to the locker room and came back outwit the team and loaded the bus and left.

My question is simple, was what they did illegal in the eyes of the TSSAA? Or, was it unethical or just unsportsmanlike like? 

What say you Coach T members?

I don't see the problem in this? Were they actually coaches? Or were they volunteers helping out the team? Was it lower level coaches, such as a freshman team or JV team? They would not be required to sit on the bench then. How is it different than players taking instructions from parents? 

Against the rules? Probably.

Unethical? Absolutely.

We are getting to a point in society where everything either has to be governed or have a rule. Assumed integrity is disappearing more and more each day.

Out of nothing more than curiosity, can you be a little more specific about what they were doing?

At the risk of changing the subject, the TSSAA does not put enough emphasis on what coaches are and are not allowed to do in my opinion. There’s a box for a reason. And don’t get me started on coaches that run toward an opposing player while they are shooting a three. That nonsense should be an automatic technical foul if not an ejection and fine.

14 hours ago, Random1234 said:

I don't see the problem in this? Were they actually coaches? Or were they volunteers helping out the team? Was it lower level coaches, such as a freshman team or JV team? They would not be required to sit on the bench then. How is it different than players taking instructions from parents? 

They were clearly giving instruction during the game. They were talking with officials trying to "work them.

Just now, BackThatPassUp said:

I think it depends. As long as the head coach is the head coach. Why can’t a team utilize more staff? Volunteer or not. When I coached, I used every bit of help I could get but made it clear I was in charge. Depending on the team size. 4 coaches seems to be about right with 20 players 

Also, I don’t know the rules, exactly. So I might not of answered your question. Just stated my opinion 

13 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

Against the rules? Probably.

Unethical? Absolutely.

We are getting to a point in society where everything either has to be governed or have a rule. Assumed integrity is disappearing more and more each day.

Out of nothing more than curiosity, can you be a little more specific about what they were doing?

At the risk of changing the subject, the TSSAA does not put enough emphasis on what coaches are and are not allowed to do in my opinion. There’s a box for a reason. And don’t get me started on coaches that run toward an opposing player while they are shooting a three. That nonsense should be an automatic technical foul if not an ejection and fine.

Can't say I've ever seen this, but does not surprise me one bit that this would happen. 

12 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

They were clearly giving instruction during the game. They were talking with officials trying to "work them.

Giving instruction doesn't mean they were coaches? Or that they are on staff? Also, sounds like it is more on the refs for engaging with spectators rather than coaches on the actual bench. 

On 2/15/2024 at 8:06 AM, Random1234 said:

In my opinion kids taking instructions from parents is the bigger problem here! :)