Pickett VS Wayne Co. who you got?

On 3/8/2024 at 3:40 PM, UCSportsFan said:

Wayne County is always good. No matter what sport they are playing in

This is not a true statement!  Yes, Wayne County has a pretty good mens and very good women’s basketball team this year but just how many state championships have they won in men’s basketball, baseball or football?  They have not been really strong in football since Rickey Rice left.  I am sorry but it’s about winning state championships and Wayne County has only ever won one state championship in a men’s sport and that was well over 20 years ago.

Edited by cbg

1 hour ago, cbg said:

This is not a true statement!  Yes, Wayne County has a pretty good mens and very good women’s basketball team this year but just how many state championships have they won in men’s basketball, baseball or football?  They have not been really strong in football since Rickey Rice left.  I am sorry but it’s about winning state championships and Wayne County has only ever won one state championship in a men’s sport and that was well over 20 years ago.

That’s pretty narrow minded.  It’s not just about winning championships.  So much to be proud of for teams to be consistently successful year after year and having chances to compete on big stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 1983 said:

That’s pretty narrow minded.  It’s not just about winning championships.  So much to be proud of for teams to be consistently successful year after year and having chances to compete on big stage.

As a coach you are paid to win championships. If you want to get paid to be in the playoffs (that’s really pretty easy in today’s times) you don’t want to work for me.

46 minutes ago, cbg said:

As a coach you are paid to win championships. If you want to get paid to be in the playoffs (that’s really pretty easy in today’s times) you don’t want to work for me.

In high school, coaches are paid to win championships?  Ok

in basketball if you make state tourney it’s a successful year for most teams.  It’s a hard accomplishment and teams and coaches should be proud of that.  No doubt every coaches goal is to win championships but in high school sports you better have some talent.  I see lots of teams in West TN that would be happy to make the region semifinals.

1 hour ago, 1983 said:

In high school, coaches are paid to win championships?  Ok

in basketball if you make state tourney it’s a successful year for most teams.  It’s a hard accomplishment and teams and coaches should be proud of that.  No doubt every coaches goal is to win championships but in high school sports you better have some talent.  I see lots of teams in West TN that would be happy to make the region semifinals.

Finally,  someone who gets it.  We got posters on our page who never post until we get beat and they feel the need to pour salt into wounds.  

From where I'm standing making the state tournament in basketball is the same as making the state playoffs in football not a great standard now final 4 or final game is pretty special win or lose. But making the playoffs is like Unaka football they make the playoffs allot but have only won 1 playoff game ever but in my opinion that was very big for them

2 hours ago, allsportsmatter said:

From where I'm standing making the state tournament in basketball is the same as making the state playoffs in football not a great standard now final 4 or final game is pretty special win or lose. But making the playoffs is like Unaka football they make the playoffs allot but have only won 1 playoff game ever but in my opinion that was very big for them

Making the basketball state tournament (final 8) in a four class system is the same as making the football playoffs (final 32) in a 6 class system?

Strongly disagree with that statement.  In football, well over 50% of teams in each class make the state playoffs.  In basketball, less than 10% of teams in each class. make it to what is considered the state tournament.  

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, allsportsmatter said:

Yea I strongly disagree, you could say making playoffs is equivalent to making region in girls basketball but not state. You could say making state tourney in bball is equivalent to making football semifinals or even championship game.  Tell these players and coaches and fans that making state tourney isn’t a special experience.  For many players and teams just making state is fantastic.

59 minutes ago, maddams said:

Making the basketball state tournament (final 8) in a four class system is the same as making the football playoffs (final 32) in a 6 class system?

Strongly disagree with that statement.  In football, well over 50% of teams in each class make the state playoffs.  In basketball, less than 10% of teams in each class. make it to what is considered the state tournament.  

That guy don't know anything.  If Cloudland would've been in the other bracket, they would of at least made the semifinals.  Football doesn't have a blind draw in the playoffs.  And it's much harder to get to the glass house.  A lot of good teams go home at substate.