Head Coaching Jobs in West TN

23 hours ago, Charger731 said:

Yea, it sounds like it was on his terms which is a good thing. He did a great job with the program in my opinion. It might just be symbolic of the fact that a lot of good young coaches aren't sticking with it like they used to. Coaching is a thankless occupation and all the issues coaches face have only gotten worse over the past few years. Might just be burned out. 

who in their right mind would be a high school basketball coach? hahaha. I have said on here before by the time the average coach gets to practice they have taught all day, made sure they have enough money in the account for the bus (lots of other financial responsibilities), had a few phone calls from parents, graded the assignments and entered in the system for parents of students to complain about, maybe had some additional assignments at school like watching an entrance, and this is just the beginning. No way! Oh, i forgot practice planning, scouting, game planning, player development... LOL

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

who in their right mind would be a high school basketball coach? hahaha. I have said on here before by the time the average coach gets to practice they have taught all day, made sure they have enough money in the account for the bus (lots of other financial responsibilities), had a few phone calls from parents, graded the assignments and entered in the system for parents of students to complain about, maybe had some additional assignments at school like watching an entrance, and this is just the beginning. No way! Oh, i forgot practice planning, scouting, game planning, player development... LOL

Yep I agree and basketball is the most time consuming of all sports.  I see schools now hiring coaches to basically just coach and not teach which I think is great.  We have a lot of coaches that really aren’t interested in teaching also.

12 hours ago, 1983 said:

Yep I agree and basketball is the most time consuming of all sports.  I see schools now hiring coaches to basically just coach and not teach which I think is great.  We have a lot of coaches that really aren’t interested in teaching also.

Yes. Even more so if you are a principal. 

On 4/5/2024 at 8:56 AM, 1983 said:

Or at least let the coach have some time during the day to game plan, scout and practice plan before they have to practice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 7:11 PM, ManOfMillions said:

I was a little surprised when I saw this. 

me too. got beat in region quarter finals last year at Haywood, went to sectionals year before and region semifinals the year before that. Won a district championship also. Wonder why he retired?

On 4/8/2024 at 7:54 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Or at least let the coach have some time during the day to game plan, scout and practice plan before they have to practice. 

Plenty of head high school coaches, especially at larger programs with pedigree, get small class schedules and time to get things done. 

I've seen head football and basketball coaches get 2 P.E classes, 2 weightlifting, cafeteria duty, and planning. They might be the study hall teacher, alternative school, or something that doesn't require alot of planning and actual teaching. 

I think at Dyer County the coach gets 2 basketball periods, 1 P.E class, and a planning. You can't get much easier than that. The supplements used to be $10,000 for boys and girls each. 

It's not like this everywhere. I know that. 

9 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Plenty of head high school coaches, especially at larger programs with pedigree, get small class schedules and time to get things done. 

I've seen head football and basketball coaches get 2 P.E classes, 2 weightlifting, cafeteria duty, and planning. They might be the study hall teacher, alternative school, or something that doesn't require alot of planning and actual teaching. 

I think at Dyer County the coach gets 2 basketball periods, 1 P.E class, and a planning. You can't get much easier than that. The supplements used to be $10,000 for boys and girls each. 

Making 100,000 a year not a bad gig

9 hours ago, TrickyD said:

Making 100,000 a year not a bad gig

18 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

I would think These are the exceptions not the norm. AND, should be the norm not the exception.

3 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I would think These are the exceptions not the norm. AND, should be the norm not the exception.

Tax payer dollars are paid for certified teachers to "teach" and then coach. The primary job is to teach. 

There are some district that ay awesome supplements and others that don't. Dyersburg and Dyer County are pretty close if I remember correctly. I would imagine that Football and basketball are above $10,000 now. 

I've heard that Milan is $20,000 for boys basketball. I would imagine that football is more than that in Milan. 

Collierville has camps that coaches get paid extra for. 3 camps a year, 100 kids a camp, $30,000 right there. 

There are places like Memphis-Shelby County schools where the supplements are garbage even for the head coaches. I made less than $3,000 as the head assistant at Germantown in 2015 when we were 26-4 and one of the best teams in the Southeast. As a head middle school coach next year I will make between $4-5,000 at a municipal in Shelby County. 

Coaches should be compensated for the jobs that are required but lets keep in mind that they are educators first. 

It's pretty frustrating to other teachers that work their tale off teaching 6-7 classes a day to watch someone roam campus, not teach (or have very minimal responsibilities), and get paid the same (more with supplements) as a person who has the some years of experience or sometimes less.