Head Coaching Jobs in West TN

21 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Tax payer dollars are paid for certified teachers to "teach" and then coach. The primary job is to teach. 

There are some district that ay awesome supplements and others that don't. Dyersburg and Dyer County are pretty close if I remember correctly. I would imagine that Football and basketball are above $10,000 now. 

I've heard that Milan is $20,000 for boys basketball. I would imagine that football is more than that in Milan. 

Collierville has camps that coaches get paid extra for. 3 camps a year, 100 kids a camp, $30,000 right there. 

There are places like Memphis-Shelby County schools where the supplements are garbage even for the head coaches. I made less than $3,000 as the head assistant at Germantown in 2015 when we were 26-4 and one of the best teams in the Southeast. As a head middle school coach next year I will make between $4-5,000 at a municipal in Shelby County. 

Coaches should be compensated for the jobs that are required but lets keep in mind that they are educators first. 

It's pretty frustrating to other teachers that work their tale off teaching 6-7 classes a day to watch someone roam campus, not teach (or have very minimal responsibilities), and get paid the same (more with supplements) as a person who has the some years of experience or sometimes less. 

good points. I guess the question is do the coaches need to be out of the classroom and get paid for just coaching. maybe move the coaching jobs to just coaching and no teaching. that would open up the coaching ranks to some good coaches that are not qualified to teach. Then you could do contracts and pay them whatever you want to pay them. move the positions to contracts.  Just like college. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

good points. I guess the question is do the coaches need to be out of the classroom and get paid for just coaching. maybe move the coaching jobs to just coaching and no teaching. that would open up the coaching ranks to some good coaches that are not qualified to teach. Then you could do contracts and pay them whatever you want to pay them. move the positions to contracts.  Just like college. Thoughts?

Depends. (Football related) Are schools willing and comfortable paying a high amount of money just to be bounced out of the playoffs in the 2nd round? 2nd round is when the playoffs truly begin. Just depends on the ROI the school is getting.

3 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Who's going to pay them?

In my opinion coaches need to be in the school to interact with the kids/players. They need to be there to help encourage and intervene when it is necessary. Coaches need to have access to players attendance, grades, and discipline records. 

Coaches are a huge influence on players. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:27 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

me too. got beat in region quarter finals last year at Haywood, went to sectionals year before and region semifinals the year before that. Won a district championship also. Wonder why he retired?

This is a great question. The retirement seemed a little premature. I do not know the coach personally, but I hope he has found what he is looking for. He is a fine Christian man with a lot of principle and morals about him. I wish him nothing but the best. There are some players in the box for the next coach. This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. 

19 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Who's going to pay them?

In my opinion coaches need to be in the school to interact with the kids/players. They need to be there to help encourage and intervene when it is necessary. Coaches need to have access to players attendance, grades, and discipline records. 

Coaches are a huge influence on players. 

I get all that.  And I agree too.  However, if the coach is only there to coach that would give them more time to do those things. The school system and booster clubs combine and pay them. 

46 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

I get all that.  And I agree too.  However, if the coach is only there to coach that would give them more time to do those things. The school system and booster clubs combine and pay them. 

Why would the tax payers be responsible for paying for only a coach?

In recent years with all the theft from various programs in schools from different programs with booster clubs (not just sports) the State of TN has made alot of rules surrounding booster clubs and how they handle money. 

I have two documents to review, 1 is 40 pages from the state comptroller and the other is 37 pages from my district, so I can consider starting a booster club for my middle school program. It has been too much trouble in the past for the other coaches. 

There is no way there needs to be an adult in the school building for 7 hours a day with no responsibilities except coaching. 

2 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Why would the tax payers be responsible for paying for only a coach?

In recent years with all the theft from various programs in schools from different programs with booster clubs (not just sports) the State of TN has made alot of rules surrounding booster clubs and how they handle money. 

I have two documents to review, 1 is 40 pages from the state comptroller and the other is 37 pages from my district, so I can consider starting a booster club for my middle school program. It has been too much trouble in the past for the other coaches. 

There is no way there needs to be an adult in the school building for 7 hours a day with no responsibilities except coaching. 

Okay. so how do you fix it? or, do you even fell as if it needs to be fixed?

On 4/24/2024 at 8:46 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

TSSAA restrictions for hiring non-faculty coaches have been removed for over a year at this point. In the past a non-faculty person had to be "grandfathered" by being an assistant coach for five years, being fingerprinted, and having a background check run per TSSAA rules... since those were rescinded, the board of directors for the school district are responsible for any/all restrictions on hiring non-faculty personnel. I guess what I'm saying to you is that if you really wanted what you posted, it's already possible as long as your local BOE will allow for it.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:56 AM, 1983 said:

Yep I agree and basketball is the most time consuming of all sports.  I see schools now hiring coaches to basically just coach and not teach which I think is great.  We have a lot of coaches that really aren’t interested in teaching also.

I coach 3 sports in HS and can tell you that basketball is NOT the most time consuming. I'm not saying it doesn't take a lot of time but between basketball, baseball and football it isn't the most time consuming.

35 minutes ago, Mooreboy3 said:

I coach 3 sports in HS and can tell you that basketball is NOT the most time consuming. I'm not saying it doesn't take a lot of time but between basketball, baseball and football it isn't the most time consuming.

I understand I guess it depends on the school you are with and the time you want to put in.  It’s evident of the schools that don’t put in as much times.  I would say basketball players put in as much time as any sport in our school system and this is coming from a football town.  Bball is a longer season than other sports.

25 minutes ago, 1983 said:

I understand I guess it depends on the school you are with and the time you want to put in.  It’s evident of the schools that don’t put in as much times.  I would say basketball players put in as much time as any sport in our school system and this is coming from a football town.  Bball is a longer season than other sports.

The Girls Basketball team I am a part of played for a gold ball this season. One of the biggest differences in the sports is that there is no field prep/maintenance in basketball.  :D Our baseball is successful and play 30 games in the regular season as well. All of the teams dedicate A LOT of time in preparing for their next opponent.