A SAD day in Tennessee HS Basketball......

gomab2

that if the TSSAA decides to add more punishment and if the school decides to appeal that the TSSAA can do one of three things. 1. stay with the original punishment. 2. reduce the punishment. 3. add more to the punishment.This is what I've heard and if that is the case it is not right. I think they should do either 1 or 2 but in no way should they be able to add punishment. If any of you know about this maybe you can explain.

As for the DC situation. There is only one problem. They scrimmaged when they had self imposed sanctions saying the wouldn't. No if's or but's they were wrong. It does not matter what the courts have said about Brentwood. They were not supposed to scrimmage. Now the school needs to decide what they feel the punishment should be and then let the TSSAA either accept or add to the punishment. I for one would like for Butch to finish the season, but if it risks the kids chance to play in the post season then I think he needs to step down. It is a very difficult situatuion that needs to be handled ASAP, so that the team can get it all behind them

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three options you list are correct. Schools have always wanted the opportunity to hand down their own punishments for infractions instead of having the TSSAA decide, when possible. Most of the time the schools are tougher on themselves than the TSSAA would be, actually. There are cases, though rare, where the schools refuse to take much if any action in which case the TSSAA will add to the punishment.

Posted by overtime:

that if the TSSAA decides to add more punishment and if the school decides to appeal that the TSSAA can do one of three things. 1. stay with the original punishment. 2. reduce the punishment. 3. add more to the punishment.This is what I've heard and if that is the case it is not right. I think they should do either 1 or 2 but in no way should they be able to add punishment. If any of you know about this maybe you can explain.

As for the DC situation. There is only one problem. They scrimmaged when they had self imposed sanctions saying the wouldn't. No if's or but's they were wrong. It does not matter what the courts have said about Brentwood. They were not supposed to scrimmage. Now the school needs to decide what they feel the punishment should be and then let the TSSAA either accept or add to the punishment. I for one would like for Butch to finish the season, but if it risks the kids chance to play in the post season then I think he needs to step down. It is a very difficult situatuion that needs to be handled ASAP, so that the team can get it all behind them

I think a good punishment would be to fine Butch, and maybe not let him coach a few District games. I think that would be punishment enough. Then let the TSSAA decide for themselves if that's punishment enough. But, there is one problem with that , and that is Butch's buddy (Sam Miles) is on the TSSAA Board. Sam Miles should not be able to help decide Butch's fate. Also,if Butch is involved in anymore violations, then he is to be fired,pronto. What does everyone think of that punishment? I'm curious to know and be honest.

[Edited by figbar on 1-1-03 4:53P]

There is more than just the spring scrimmage with Milan. Dyer County played Courtney Jones without a physical. They did call Covington and were told that Courtney did have a physical, but did not fax the paper work. This, however was not totally Butch's fault. Maybe the fine could be something like this: bottom seed in the district tournament, Butch being fined maybe $500.00 to $1,000.00 which would go to the TSSAA, not to coach two games. I don't think he should resign period. He has meant too much to the basketball program at Dyer County. Like him or not. The TSSAA wants him out, no doubt about it! But, I can't think of any time in the history of TSSAA that a coach has been asked to step down for a violation of this type. After all look at Melrose and what they did in football. The TSSAA only knows one side of Butch Hopkins. The Brentwood situation does have any barring on this violation, but it will effect high sports in Tennessee.

Has that not happened already? Has he not already violated the terms of the self-imposed probation? I feel a stiffer punishment is in order. It seems as though you are in the know about the happenings of Dyer Co. Since you are, you also know that there have been many other violations that have not been made public. Quite frankly, they were not that important and were not worth arguing about.

Suspend him for the rest of the season. Not being around his players and not being able to be coach his kids is the only punishment that will truly affect him. Especially in a year where he is once again loaded with talent has has a shot to return to the 'Boro. All money does is provide an easy escape. It will not teach a lesson to those who all they have to do is ask a zealous booster to pay the fine for them.

[Edited by thebeave on 1-1-03 6:47P]

Beave I agree with you on that money is just like being able to buy your way out of something you have done. DC will win anyways so let's all get over it. Maybe the next coach we get will become even better than butch. Maybe matt benjamin will get to play like he deserves........

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same. This is to you Butch from all of your biggest fans.

So long Butch, its been a great ride. Just found out you wouldn't be there Friday Night. Thanks for the memories, there have been many. I know Lonnie will have a tuff time keeping an eye on the boys, but he will do his best, I know. I really hate the way it has all turned out. You will truely be missed by fans, coaches, players, and even refs. It will never be the same without you. I doubt if TSSAA will do anything else to us if your gone. Thats what the governing bodies there want, thats for sure. You have made this community proud of there basketball team. You have made us a household name in the high school basketball world. May you be happy in what ever you do, with the rest of you life, you deserve it. May God be with you.

[Edited by figbar on 1-3-03 12:29A]

Guest Oldman30

i agree with shooter41! The TSSAA has taken this to far! And one of the reasons it has gone so far is because Dyersburg principle is on the TSSAA board so that right there explains it all! They have turned DC in for lil things because they tryin to get rid of us!

You are correct figbar....she is not the only girl on the starting team this year at DC that he tried to get to go to Dyersburg.....he would come to her 8th grade games and sit with her parents trying to talk them into letting her come to Dyersburg. Coffman recruits....look at Shonda Strayhorn...he has been coaching?/molding? her since 7th grade......maybe earlier???