Officiating at Livingston

swamp

I sat thru three of the worst officiated games in the history of basketball this afternoon, and I need to vent. I can't say that officiating cost any of the losers their games, because I believe that teams must control the things that they can control and thus overcome the things that they can't, but these crews stunk out loud!

Were they getting paid by the foul??? The CC/OS and LA/Clarkrange game were two of the slowest games I have ever seen! I haven't seen so many ticky-tack fouls called since, since, well, since the last time I endured a game played at LA. Under what Rock in Celina do they find these clowns?! These goobers couldn't call a hog, much less a basketball game! I'll be there were nigh unto 60 fouls called in the OS game! I quit counting along the way! The LA game was more of the same...

You'd think for $6 a ticket they could find some decent officials!

;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have been at the Pickett Co. Tournament!! Talk about inconsistent...I've noticed that for some reason, you can reach across a players body and steal the ball, but if you bump in to them it is a hand check foul.

Also, at Livingston, I actually heard the officials tell the players to go straight up, don't hold, and believe it or not to box out! It was like they were helping to coach on the floor. Oh well, back to the regular season Friday.

After watching 3 games not one three-second violation in the paint,I think that it has been taken out of the game.Has anyone ever watched a game without one they dont have a clue in Livingston what it is.And I agree with Goose how can you play and get into any kind of a game when every 10 seconds theirs a foul called I mean just little bumps and hand checks away from the ball 68 free throws in one game is just plain insane. ;)

[Edited by BBALLTN on 12-29-02 9:48A]

How many officals does the TSSAA mandate for an offical game. Everywhere I have been the last 2 years there is 3 officals on the floor, except at North Greene High School. Doesn't all of TN play with the same rule book. Is his written somewhere offical or left up to the assigning offical for that area?

There is a mandate of 2 officials per contest. Some districts do elect to use 3 officials per contest or just use 3 officials for district play and 2 for non-district play. It is left up to the district coaches per say as to how many officials they use per contest.

Usually, the bigger schools do elect to use 3 officials all the time, but.... And usually, the smaller schools--in a money saving effort--usually elect to use 3 officials for district play and 2 officials for non-district play in my area.

Hope this helped you out a little bit.

Hey Swamp just a question for you since you are an expert on officiating. What is considered a foul. :confused: How many years of experience do you have officiating? Please inform me what a foul is. Is it when someone gets knocked down or when their is blood drawn, or when someone is hurt? In your opinion the officials can only call a certian number of fouls in a game, no matter how many their really are just so you don't have to set through these games. Well let me see most basketball people will tell you that the players have to adjust to the officials. If they are calling it close then the players must adjust. These players know what they can and can't do they just push it to the limit. I applaud the officials for not giving up and keep calling fouls. this tells me they are still in the game and not daydreaming. One more point since their were 60 some fouls in each game and you paid 6 dollars then it only cost you3 cents a foul so you got your moneys worth ;)