Officiating at Livingston

swamp

I see a lot of games throughout the season and I don't have a major problem with officiating. I agree with Swamp in that I don't like watching games that last almost two hours because the teams combine for 70+ free throws. Again, I think the refs do a fine job but I hate to see a hand check called when it doesn't affect the movement of the ball and I think that's what was happening at Livingston. Officiating didn't cost anyone a game, but it sure made it difficult to watch.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goose happy new year,what about 3 second calls they have but all disappered do you agree? Also who is going to be County champs looks like Kingston maybe playing better,while Im picking your brain Harriman girls win district and region? OS had some tough luck as of late,but some of the girls out and some trying to play sick,L.Hall played the other night with fever against CC and Jessie and Kara played with flu it will get better and we sure missed Brianne over the weekend be good to get her back.Brandy Seiber is playing better than Ive ever seen her play lets hear from you Goose. :o

[Edited by BBALLTN on 1-1-03 8:57P]

[Edited by BBALLTN on 1-1-03 9:03P]

Three seconds is harldy ever called. I hear refs telling players to get out of the lane at times, but they seldom call it these days. I think the Kingston girls are a dangerous team. They play good defense and they have good athletes. They don't shoot well, but they can stay close and anybody can win when the game is close. OS girls are still the team. I'm not worried about OS because the games they have lost against Class AA teams have been on the road. The other losses were against Class AAA teams.

My team won't sniff the sectional, much less Murfreesboro.

:o

Posted by Idunk2:

Hear say from a reliable source is what was posted Hornet.+ Middle Tn usually sends more officials to State Tourney than east or west. The #'s don't lie. Most (not all) East and West TN officials don't officiate todays game as TSSAA see's fit. Their philosophy is to keep the game moving and call as little as possible. Middle TN officials call it by the book. So, like I said, get used to it.....if you make it to the Boro, chances are you will see them again !

Could the officials at the state tourney be from the mid-state because of geography? How many officials from Bristol or Memphis that have day jobs can drive to Murfreesboro for two weeks?

Posted by Idunk2:

Hear say from a reliable source is what was posted Hornet.+ Middle Tn usually sends more officials to State Tourney than east or west. The #'s don't lie. Most (not all) East and West TN officials don't officiate todays game as TSSAA see's fit. Their philosophy is to keep the game moving and call as little as possible. Middle TN officials call it by the book. So, like I said, get used to it.....if you make it to the Boro, chances are you will see them again !

Come on guys get a clue.....Only the best officals are taken to the state Tournament...I doubt any offical would pass up a chance to work the state finals. Geography has absolutly no bearing on who works the state tourney. I don't think you guys realize how much hard work these guys put in to make it to the top. It is a huge reward for the officals (just like each team) to be in Murfresboro come March. Officals love the game, just like the fans and players else they would not be there cause God knows they don't make near enough money for what they have to put up with.

So officials with day jobs that support their families would sacrifice their vacation time...or take unpaid leave to travel to Murfreesboro to officiate h.s. basketball????

And who at TSSAA HQ sees the officials enough to decide who the best are?

Posted by Idunk2:

Come on guys get a clue.....Only the best officals are taken to the state Tournament...I doubt any offical would pass up a chance to work the state finals. Geography has absolutly no bearing on who works the state tourney. I don't think you guys realize how much hard work these guys put in to make it to the top. It is a huge reward for the officals (just like each team) to be in Murfresboro come March. Officals love the game, just like the fans and players else they would not be there cause God knows they don't make near enough money for what they have to put up with.

The answer to your first question is yes. I think the officials who are dedicated and love the game (the best ones do) would go and work the game for free just to have the opportunity to be at the top.

The answer to your second question is the local official association will submit their short list of stellar officials to the state. The state then evaluates these officials and has the final word on who is in and who is out. Once again, it is truly an honor to work state tournament contests. I don't think you guys realize the dedication most of the good officials have.

[Edited by Idunk2 on 1-2-03 3:58P]

I did that in baseball a couple of years. I took a professional day or two to work the baseball state in Chattanooga and Cleveland. Bet your bottom dollar if your a chosen offical--football, basketball, baseball, softball, or whichever sport it may be your going. I know from now on that the Spring Fling is going to be in Memphis for the next ever how many years. But...If I'm chosen by my colleagues and the state powers that be, I'm going!!

Each association across the state will send at least one individual to either the boys or girl's tournament. The TSSAA desides which one a person will go to. The larger associations (Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Memphis) will send at least one to each tournament, sometimes two will go to each. Before someone goes to the state, they are seen at a invitational camp once every 3 years, have been observed numerous times by several state supervisors, and have been seen by Gene Meneese or Gene Beck (TSSAA) several times. The list IDUNK referrs to is a 2 - 3 year list. You are throughly screened and observed.

The officials are in the boro` from Tuesday night thru Saturday working. Yes, you sacrifice time from work and family but it is definately worth it. They even encourage you to bring your family, if possible, to share the experience with you. There is much involved about working the state. It is a grand honor just to be selected! Also, many times a person has no clue they are being looked at until usually district / region tournament time. If you are selected for the girl's tournament, you may only have a weeks notice about going. Bottom line, until you "get the call", you don't have a idea about anything!!