Overated Upper E. TN Teams

GovMan

Can there be any question that teams like Science Hill and DB have been way overated?

If those teams played in the same district as Maryville, Bearden, William Blount, Farragut, etc. they'd be "middle of the pack" type teams.

Evidently there's not a lot of comp in the tri-cities area this year.

GovMan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is true that both Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett lost to Maryville but it is not like they where blown out. I was not at the games but it appears from the scores that the games could have gone either way. That does not justify the statement you make about the quality North East Tennessee basketball. Maryville has some real tough teams to play in their district, like Sevier County. ;) Mid-season does not matter in basketball. What really matters is the end of the season.

Behind White Station, Science Hill is the place for high school Tennessee basketball. Science Hill may not be as good this year as in past years, but they are still a darn good team. Maryville has a great team and they only edged out Science Hill and DB. In my opinion, this region is one of the top 3 or 4 in the state, just look at how many times SH goes deep in the state tourney.

Where were you when Maryville got upset in the Regionals and William Blount got hammered at S. Hill? Everyone wants to talk about how S. Hill & DB are overrated all the time. Science Hill placed 2nd in the state. Now that Maryville has beaten both teams, you want to say the are overrated. Where was Maryville before Lee Humphries? Where will Maryville be after Lee Humphries? Lee Humphries is the real deal and you only get a player like that every blue-moon, so enjoy your success and until you make it to the State more than 1-2 times in a decade, stop the lip service. Maryville and William Blount has the best team so far this season in the Eastern parts. When the playoffs start, Science Hill will still be the team you must go through. DB & Greeneville will be in the mix. Remember.....When you win games is the most important.

Mike Poe is not leaving SH. SH is a dream job for coaches in the state of TN and they will only get the best. When Poe's coaching is over there will only be another great coach to take his place. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see George Pitts back at SH when Poe is done coaching. It is a fact Pitts would love to be back at SH. SH will ALWAYS have a a great coach just because they have one of the best programs in the state.

These teams are not overrated. I saw the DB vs Maryville game and could not figure what was going on. 1st two DB starters were on the bench in the first half. One for the entire first half and another for most of the first quarter. They were either sick, hurt, or being disciplined. DB still lost in a close game. I did not see the Science Hill game, but noticed that their best player sit out the first game of the tourney. The top four teams in regions one and two in no particular order are; Maryville, Science Hill, Greeneville, Kingsport DB. William Blount is not nearly as good as these teams. I have seen all of these teams play. I am also so disappointed that Lee Humphrey did not get the opportunity to showcase his enormous talent against Wheeler. Wheeler might of still won, but it would have never got out of hand in the first half. Humphrey makes his teammates so much better.

It's too bad WB couldn't square off against Science Hill this year so that the Toppers could prove your point about WB not being "nearly as good".

Oh yeah, they did play ... what was the margin of victory for the far superior SH team? Darn it, that's right ... WB beat Science Hill. I'm sure it was just a fluke.

Govman you are an idiot! Who here said William Blount wasn't neatly as good or that their win against SH was a fluke? I didn't say that and I don't see where anyone else did either. Yeah WB beat SH earlier at their place, good for them, but what everyone is saying is that your statement about SH and DB being overrated is ridiculous. Nobody claims SH and DB are the greatest teams in the world, state, whatever, but they are very good teams. William Blount is also a good team. Man I'm sorry but you are an idiot!