coaches who don't get credit

smalltown

I know it's easy to identify the "good" coaches because of their records, and certainly many of these coaches are deserving. For the purpose of this discussion, I want to leave out the schools that always have good talent - not to disrespect their coaches because most of them are very good coaches. But what about the coaches at schools who are always fighting an uphill battle because of talent, who don't have or seldom have the players to compete with the elite teams. Anybody have any thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with all of your statements smalltown. There are many coaches out there that work as hard or harder than anyone and don't get the compliments they deserve. Many people go strictly on a teams record and judge the coach. My philosophy is to just get better every time we take the floor. Whether it's a game or practice. Sure I want to win everygame but thats not always possible. I know if my kids get better and learn from mistakes, they are learning. Some coaches don't have the most talented kids this is true, but can you help the ones you do have get better. I think a coach is successful if he can look back and say we improved everytime we took the floor.

WingT,

Hm. I thought the idea of this thread was about coaches who did/do NOT have great talent. Randy, great coach that he is, is inundated with talent every year.

Dingo

Guest hard2guard101

CAN'T WAIT FOR RESPONSES TO THIS ONE, BUT WHAT ABOUT DAVID WHALEY AT COCKE COUNTY HIGHSCHOOL? HE COACHED MANY SUCCESSFUL TEAMS AT COSBY AS A HEAD AND ASSISTANT COACH, AND THEN TOOK CCHS TO A 20 WIN SEASON THE FIRST SINCE LIKE 1974. MAYBE I'M NUTS BUT WHAT DO YA'LL THINK?