Cookeville -CAVS

disgustedfan

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cavs haven't given up at all. We want to win for the team but for Coach Hunt most of all. And the season hasn't gone badly for us because of the coaching changes like everyone thinks, it's because we haven't executed enough. When one mistake is made, we just seem to lose our momemtum. We just have to stay up in the game and then we will be able to play like everyone knows we can. The coaches prepared us for the season and did their job, but we haven't done ours, so don't blame the coaches. Things are turning around and the team is going to play like everyone expected us to.

I played all my high school career for Butch and he is undoubtably the best coach that Cookeville High School has ever seen. It's a shame that politics play a huge role in CHS athletics. It's no surprise to me to see them having disappointing seasons year after year after year. Things will never change and championships will never be won at Cookeville in baseball. It is a shame. To have one of the biggest high schools in the state and only 1 championship banner and that is in women's golf. They should have a gym full of banners, but they don't. Maybe some day, but not until parents quit trying to run the team themselves by stabbing the coach in the back.

[Edited by coach21 on 4-7-03 9:17A]

Well it appears that some think the fortunes for the CAVS lie in the past, with Coach Chaffin. He is not the coach now, not going to be the coach in the future. I am not concerned about the mistakes, politics, or scandals of the past, I am concerned about the now and the days to come. Coach chaffin was, was, was, was a fantastic coach but the key word is was. What about today and tomorrow? We have a principle who knows baseball, we have a coaching staff with baseball knowledge. So the problem must be with the quaility of players this year. Could it be that the upper classmen are not leading and executing. I read in the paper that two games the other week the only two hits were by a sophmore. Where are the seniors? What has happened to the senior pitching? Baseball revolves around pitching. Has a senior pitcher won a game yet? Our only district win has come from a junior pitcher according to the paper.

The answer to Cookeville baseball is not found in complaining about the past, but looking honestly at the present. And at the present the seniors are not getting the job done! Hopefully they will step up and do what they are capable of doing!

I was at yall's game saturday and i dont think the talent or coaching is there. and i know from talking to some of the parents they have some gone to the "right " people to get new coaches. if chaffin wants it and everybody wants him soooo bad, why dont he go? it looks like the players dont wnat to play for Hunt and his staff.

I have a question for you then? Would you want to take back a job that you got shafted out of because of a bunch of parents only to more than likely have it happen to you again? Answer: NO! I know I wouldn't take it back and I'm almost positive that he won't. Butch deserves to coach at a school that will respect his decisions and stick behind him in whatever he does. At Cookeville there are too many cheifs and not enough indians.

Over the years I have learned this lesson-if you allow parents/coaches/bullies or any adversity keep you from fulfilling your destiny then your not a winner. If Coach Chaffin wants to coach at Cookeville, then step up to the plate and go for it. But I don't see him throwing his name in for the job. If he is a winner and wanted the job and I believe he is a winner then he would step up regardless of adversity. Life is full of disappointments-sooner or later you have to get over it and go on. With that said the answer to Cookeville's baseball woes are not found in the past or even a great coach who will not coach again. Our answer is found in developing the talent we have available, supporting our present coaching staff and putting the best 9 on the field regardless of what grade they are in.

Coach Chaffin told me personaly, that he would never coach high school baseball again. he would rather coach kids in a foreign country who used nothing but a stick and ball.

and the comment about the coaching not being there is totally ignorant for someone to say. Pickett, swallows, kennedy, and now hunt are all quality coaches who love the game of baseball. its always been the players that have screwed it up for themselves. and yes there are politcs, but thats anywhere u go. it just takes the players to say screw what our parents or whoever wants and lets step it up and do it for us. thats why oakland, riverdale, and germantown are always at the top because their players are raw dog and play for the team and no one else. they could care less about what negative goes on off the field. they just want to win.

When anything goes wrong.... it has to be the coach. I have no idea what kind of team Cookeville has this season, but this is the same type of "chatter" that comes from Cookeville baseball any time something does not go your way. If there are no "banners" hung, go buy the players a trophy, certificate, a new bat, bat bag, fruit flavored water, or some food. Sounds like you do have problems playing defense and may not pitch it as well as you first expected. Parents, shut up,feed and love your kids and let the coaches do their jobs. Players, try to lay it on the line and be responsible for your actions.

I WOULD HAVE TO THINK EVERYONE ON HERE HAS A POINT, I GUESS. I AM ON COACH T A LOT, PROBABLY MORE THAN MOST COACHES. I LIKE TO COMMENT ONCE IN A WHILE. I AGREE, BUTCH WOULD BE A GREAT COACH AGAIN. I AM SURE THERE ARE THOSE WHO WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM COACH AGAIN. THERE ARE A LOT OF GOOD CANDIDATES OUT THERE. I HATE TO SEE ALL OF THE NEGATIVITY, THOUGH. I LIKE IT HERE, AND I AM WORKING MY TAIL OFF TO MAKE THINGS GO. WHO ELSE WOULD DRIVE AN HOUR AND 15 TO WORK AND COACH, AND SLEEP IN THEIR CLASSROOM DURING THE WEEK? WE ARE STRUGGLING, AND I DON'T HAVE ANY ANSWERS. WE JUST GOTTA KEEP WORKING. IF THEY TAKE THIS JOB AND GIVE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE, I CAN'T CONTROL THAT. I AM GIVING EVERYTHING I CAN, AND IF THAT ISNT GOOD ENOUGH, GOD WILL LEAD ME AS TO WHAT TO DO NEXT. THAT IS ALL I CAN DO AND SAY.

CHAMPS93, you should rethink your message because where else can you find such great coaches. Coach Hunt is the most deidicated coach I have had in all four years at CHS and I have made the team under four different coaches. Coach Hunt has a knowledge for the game that is far beyond most others and look at how young he is. Coach Tubbs is our hitting coach and played in the majors himself and was an excellent hitter, so i think that he knows what he is coaching. Coach Stites played college ball as a pitcher and was thought to be drafted but somehow didn't, and as a pitcher myself, I believe he knows how to coach a pitching staff. Coach Douglas works just as hard as any other coach and showed the infield how to play the game right, but the only thing it comes down to is that we just aren't executing enough. If one mistake happens, the team loses it's momemtum, thats our problem. Every coach at CHS is right for the job and should stay at the helm for years to come. Theses coaches will build a winning program with class and with dignity. So dont blame the coaches because they aren't the problem. I hope that they all stay at CHS for years to come.