Admission costs??

Celinafan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by behappy229:

The cost of admission to go to a game is truly high for a family. By the time a family pays to get into the game there is $16.00 if the price is $4.00 a ticket then everyone in the family wants at least a drink then you look at $4 or $5 more. And the school plays 3 games a week it is too much for the average family to pay. What is bad too is some get in free that should not and it leaves the others to pay their part. I don't think kids should pay to get into the games. My child does not even watch the game. I don't have anyone to keep it so I have to take it with me. It seems if you have a child that is still in school they should not pay. Or make everyone pay like school personell such as principals, assistant principals, friends of the coaches, bus drivers and their familys. It is not right that some people do not pay and yet we have to pay what they do not pay. It needs to be right for all not only a choosen few.

I'm sick and tired of these whiny, overpaid high school players. They should play for the love of the game, so it would be more affordable. You can't even take a family to the game anymore!

When you have a kid playing schools should try and sell discount passes to the players family. If you figure up the cost of basketball team camps, shoes, gas running back and forth to practice, Lettermen jacket, ankle braces, gym bags etc. the cost can be quiet high for a kid to play high school basketball. On game nights we figure on spending $20.00 per night. Here is a breakdown on cost for a family of three with one child playing.

Admission 4.00 Family of 3 12.00

Concesssions 3 drinks, 3 hotdogs, popcorn 10.00

Give player money to eat on at the game 5.00

Program 2.00

Total Cost is 29.00

You figure that there are 4 games Jr. Varsity & Varsity per night and on road games, sometimes players must eat dinner and supper that evening. High school basketball has raised its prices to where not all students can afford to come to the games.

But for parents with kids playing it is also very expensive.

My suggestion would be to offer a season pass for players families at the start of the season for a nice discount rate.

Cut tickets to half price for students at all games.

Don't tell me that the schools need to make money for the programs. I know we have raised much money at our high school via way of the boosters club for our athletic teams.

Just think if a team plays 3 games per week and those games are on the road the price can be more.

During baseball season we play as many as 5 games per week. How costly can this get.

With football you play one game per week but with basketball, baseball and softball you play much more.

I am sure that some school AD's,administrators and TSSAA staff will disagree but many parent share the same views as I do.

[Edited by coachtdog on 2-10-03 10:51A]

Admission $12

Concessions $10

Other $7

Knowing that you kid is in a good program, learning teamwork and life lessons and making friends........

PRICELESS

Our school actually does offer season passes and does part of the admission money not have to be sent to TSSAA? What about uniforms, basketballs, utilities and clean-up, etc...? I don't believe that the schools are profiting TOO much from the games.

T

Thelma, I understand that their is some overhead for officials, uniforms and staff but does not the school system budget money for athletics. The schools buy text book because they're a part of learning yet you stated that kids learn from athletics too. Athletics is a part of the school and can teach many lessons later on in life. So therefore they should have some funding by the school systems too. I know that most schools have janitors at the school but at ours the ball players clean up the gym after games. You make a good point when you state that if you play for a good coach and the experiences learned are priceless but you got to remember, that games are to the point that crowds are slacking off everywhere. Not all parents can afford 25.00 per night to attend. You take a family where only one works in the household and it makes it hard on them. Somewhere it has to stop. And if you have a younger son playing in a youth league try paying to attend sometimes 5 nights per week. For my part I have been able to to this but I also know many parents who struggle with going to the games. I also have known some kids not to play because of the cost of camps, shoes, etc. You can agree or disagree but for someone who has followed high school sporting events for years, TSSAA officials and school administrators better wake up because 5 years down the road, only the parents that can afford the games will be the ones in attendance.

Coachtdog you are so right. The average family cannot go and support their high school team with a family.Sure all schools have overhead to pay I know that but I also know I pay a large amount of money for my child to play at the beginning of the season and also we have fund raisers for things concerning the team needs. Our school has a large crowd that attends the games and I really think they could have season passes for kids and familys. When your team plays 3 times a week and like someone said you pay gas,food,admission to go to the games it is so costly that I do know some familys who cannot pay this and has a player on the team but cannot afford for their family to go to see them play. It is sad for a parent to have a child on the team but yet cannot afford to watch them play due to the admission of the games are so much and that parent has more children that they cannot afford for all of them to go. It is even harder to see that child play so well and then look into the stands knowing noone is there for them due to the cost is too high for their family. All I am saying is there could be a family rate for familys so everybody could go and cheer on their teams.

I just don't believe that lowering the price would make THAT much of a difference. Sure, it would make it cheaper on the ones that are currently going but I personally feel like a parent that really wants to support their child will find a way to do it. I appreciate your points on the subject but I just don't see lowering admission as an alternative. Talk to your school administrator. I would almost guarantee you that you two could work out a deal on a season pass. Hey, the other parents might appreciate you for it too.

T

If a family truely cannot afford to see the games, I will bet that there is not a school around that would keep them out of the gym. There is no administration that is that cold-hearted.

The back of the ticket stub does not say that concession stand purchases are required. You can eat before you come.

As someone said earlier, where else can you go and have three hours of fun for $4.00 or $5.00 per head? Have you attended a movie lately?

I am a member of our Booster's Board and I promise you gate receipts are the lions share of funding athletic programs.

As John Stosell would say.....Give me a break!

GO REBELS!!!!!