East Tennessee AAA

mocs30

Here's my top 10:

1. Maryville (26-3) I think they are vulnerable, but they have only lost one versus teams from Tennessee. They deserve this spot.

2. Bradley Central (25-2) Stellar record. They have won a couple of absolute classics against Cleveland.

3. Cleveland (24-2) Only losses are to Bradley Central; District and Regional Tournament is at Cleveland -- huge advantage.

4. Dobyns Bennett (23-4) Probably the best team in Region 1, though they night not even reach substate.

5. Science Hill (24-5) Another great year for the 'Toppers.

6. Powell (18-5) Reeled off seven wins in a row against solid competition. Fewer games this season may mean fresher legs for the post season.

7. Greeneville (20-4) Talented squad that shotts the ball well. If this team gets hot, they could easily take the Region 1AAA Tournament. Malone may go to Chattanooga.

8. Bearden (21-6) Reeling after losses to Austin-East and Powell. Need to right the ship, this is usually when they play their best ball.

9. William Blount (17-10) Record is that great, but they play in the most competitive District west of Memphis. District Tournament is at William Blount. Could mean a good seed in the Region.

10. Oak Ridge (16-11) Playing much better. Are they contenders or pretenders, we'll know this week after games against Bearden and Bradley Central.

On the outside looking in...

Karns (15-9) Can shoot the ball, but they are too streaky. Also, their guard play might not enable them to get past the first round of the Region. Crane is a really nice player.

Farragut (15-9) Can play with anybody on a given night. They are the only team to beat Maryville from Tennessee. Big game at home against Powell on Thursday night.

Rhea County (25-8) Have lost to most of the good team on their schedule, but they still have a nice record.

West (11-11) Some quality wins (Powell, Bearden) and some really bad losses. Athletic, but can't shoot the ball. They thrive on hard fast transition basketball. Should not advance past a team with smart guards.

How I think it will go down:

Region 1: I think that the winner of the District 1 tournament will win Region 1. In all likelihood, the loser of District 1 Championship will play Greeneville, who will almost assuredly win District 2, in the semi-finals of Region 1 tournament. It will be a lot to ask the winner of that game to come back and beat either Science Hill or Dobyns Bennett the next night, especially at Freedom Hall.

Region 1 Champion: Science Hill

On the road for substate: Greeneville

Region 2: Much more convoluted. Maryville, Bearden, Powell, Oak Ridge, William Blount and maybe a couple of others all have a shot, but I say go with whop is playing the best right now and that's Powell and Maryville. Powell's quick guards could give Humphrey some trouble. He'll still get his, and I think that Maryville would squeek by the Panthers

Region 2 Champion: Maryville

On the road for substate: Powell

Region 3: This is easy. Let's just hope that the District and Regional Finals Games between Cleveland and Bradley Central are as good as the first two. I think Cleveland will get BC in the District Tournament, but Bradley should win the Region. Pugh is one of the best junior in the state.

Region 3 Champion: Bradley Central

On the road for substate: Cleveland

In the substate, I think both Cleveland and Bradley Central will make it. I think Greeneville will beat Maryville and Science Hill will beat Powell.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mocs30, That was an extremely good post. Lots of thought and knowledge went into that. While you are never going to make everybody happy that is a much better job than most could have done. However, it is obvious that you are a Powell graduate. IN MY OPINION, there are several teams who are better than Powell straight up:

William Blount: Seely and Ogan would be non-factors against their post players

Bearden: I know, I know, but night in and night out they are better

Oak Ridge: We will see this hopefully at the district tournament

ON the Bubble: Farragut and Karns (I personally do not see how the Panthers swept this series)

I think Maryville has to be the favorite going in. Is Powell next, who knows??? My pick for second William Blount

Powell is probably a top 15 team in East Tennessee. Their schedule is weak and alot of close games have went their way. Coach Ogan deserves alot of credit. He is the KIL coach of the year...

Once again, I though these ranking were very well put together.

I think Maryville, Cleveland, and Bradley could all be tied for first (even with Bradley sweeping Cleveland)

[Edited by belle on 2-18-03 9:46A]

belle, I have noted in several posts that I graduated from Powell in 94. However, I won't sugarcoat anything for the Panthers. They have improved greatly as the year has gone on and they are not the same team that they were earlier this year. Additionally, they are playing with a chip and their shoulders. They feel as though they get no respect. Right now they are playing much harder than the teams they are competing against and that is making all the difference. They are the kind of questionable team that has the ability to win the Region. However, they also are poor enough to lose in the first round of the Region if they don't come ready to play. Thanks for the compliment though, it will be fun to see how these regions pan out.

By the way, chill does a much better job ranking these things than I do, and I probably should have included Chattanooga Central. I saw them lose an ugly game against Brainerd a while back and I've kind of been turned off to them. I think that Rehea County will actually give BC or Cleveland a tougher run in tthe Region. Chatt. Central has not beaten a AAA team of substance yet. However, they still have an outstanding record.

I was actually at the Powell/Greeneville game over Christmas and it was a close game until very late. I believe Powell was down by a point with the ball with two minutes to go. They missed and Greeneville scored and then the yplayed the free throw game. I think Greeneville is pretty scary. Their big man has finesse and quickness that you usually don't see in someone his size. It will be interesting to see what happens when Science Hill visits this week. I bet Greeneville beats them.

Man, I got on to read your rankings and I kept wanting to rip you, but I just can't do it bro. You obviously are pretty well informed and you make great points.

I probably have a district 4 bias (I know I have a William Blount bias) but I still wouldn't be surprised to see two d4 teams advance to sub-state. Of course, I haven't seen Powell play and I know they have quality win versus Bearden.

Blount is without the services of their 6'9" post player Brad Lafoy (grade 2 ankle sprain this past Friday night could keep him out up to 3 weeks). They probably don't drop much talent wise as far as putting a starting five on the floor, but it is a serious depth blow to them. Lafoy just weighs around 175 and he's strictly finesse, but he had a few 15 - 20 point games this year.

Maryville is the team to beat in District 4, no question. My biggest hope for Blount against Bearden or Maryville is the old "it's hard to beat somebody three times in a season theory".

Should be some great basketball at WB starting this Saturday!!!

GovMan

Too your comments on Chatt. Central about how you think they might have been put in those rankings, i disagree. They arent a great team, they have one some games down the road but have not played any tough teams at all. They lost to Brainerd, Hixson and Ooltewah. Even though by looking at there record you would think a great team, but i reality thre not. And there first game when they beat Brainerd, Brainerd did not have Cedric Doizer.