**Breaking News**

splainshornet

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres the News Sentinel Story:

Article

If thats the way he feels, then IIm glad for him. This is an awkward situation to say the least and it really questions team vs individual. But I too was frustrated that my coach didnt really prepare or help in my efforts to get a scholarship. One reason I went into coaching to begin with.

Maybe this will have coaches think about what they can do to help kids more? Probably not. But Im interested in knowing what some of you think too. Not to bash Bearden or Cruze or anything, but just on the issue.

[Edited by coacht on 2-22-03 9:21A]

Personally, I believe this Cruze boy just let down a whole bunch of his teammates. I mean I had some "disagreements" with my coaches in HS--especially basketball, but...I never considered "walking away" leaving my TEAM high and dry. I may not have been happy off the court, but when I was on the court I gave it everything I had. I'm not saying I was that good, I just played hard.

Now that I'm a coach, I hope that I can help my players out for as long as they need any help in any walk of life. I hope they feel they can come to me if they "ever" need anything.

Guest pumpkin

if he was unhappy playing and it wasnt fun anymore then he should have quit if he wanted to,no one has the right to say what he did was wrong its not their life.

I agree with Mayer, I don't see how anyone on the outside can say whether or not what the kid did was wrong. I'm sure there are a lot of details to the situation that we do not know about. I was in this same situation at the beginning of this basketball season and plenty of people felt the need to comment on it without knowing even half of the important details; that can and will get very annoying. So please don't say the kid was wrong in quitting until you know EVERYTHING, that at least means talking to the player and the coach. KevB, how can you say that there is no explanation that holds weight for him leaving unless the coach asked him to do something illegal or immoral? There are so many things a coach can do that isn't illegal or immoral that can give a player a legitiment reason for deciding not to play anymore (for that team). I know, I've been there.

i just read the artical....he quit because he wasn't named a captian and coach didn't send tapes? i know there is probably more to this but....he's worried about a college scholarship, he can kiss that goodby now. he will regret this the rest of his life. he has alot more hard lessons to learn in life. i always told my boys once u start u don't quit, because once u start quitting it gets easier and more frequent.

I know Kyle personally and know all about the situation at Bearden High School. Kyle says that this is not about college or whether or not his tapes were sent, but that he is one of many players(good ballplayers I may add)that has walked away from the program at Bearden High School in the past ten years! It is rediculous over there and the way things are run. They win because they have great talent! This has nothing to do with a college scholarship (by the way he is not kissing that goodbye) or his team or even that they are loosing. Kyle is a great player and an even better person. This was Kyle's decision and until you hear every single detail from him, than who are you to say anything!

OK...I'll also include if the kid has personal issues at home...if he's quit because he and the coach don't see eye to eye after 4 years together, he has no excuse.

He should have walked away before now...like when he was a sophomore.

He may very well have a legitimate excuse, but I still think that based on the article, it sounds like he's being selfish...how do you go to the Final Four one year, claim to have wanted to quit then and then play all the way through the entire regular season as a senior only to quit before the tournament.

Selfishness...his teammates have been betrayed.

I see the exact reasons mentioned in the article. I walked away from basketball In December of this year from the Bearden Team. I felt many different reasons led to my walking away from the program. The coach played a big role though and can see eye to eye with Kyle. I still talk to many of the guys although I am focusing mainly on football. Many kids feel somewhat the same way about the situation from what I have seen. I think it was good for Kyle to stand up for what he beleived is right. Remember everyone is not perfect especially 18 yr teenagers.