State Tournament Referees

NightStalker

The referees are picked by time served and mechanics. A group of officials are picked out and then evaluated. If they hustle up and down the floor and have good mechanics they will probabl get their turn. The sad thing is that judgement is not a factor. Getting the calls right are not a factor. Just how you look and have you paid your dues. So many inconsistencies with the way these games have been called this week. There has to be a better system!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the level of a state tournament, refs should have some knowledge of how to call a game. One particular game was probably the worst that I've ever seen called. Talented teams should not have to worry if their going to have to battle the opposing team as well as the officials. As un- fair as it is... that is how it played out @ Murphy Ctr.!! They were terrible!

Until there is a "checks and balances" system, there will continue to be controversy. Other states allow coaches to rate the referees, with a certain minimum required to work different levels of tournament play. Tennessee's officials are accountable to no one except their association; that's why the system doesn't work.

The Elizabethton Ridgway game was the worst. Every close call went to ridgway!!! I know ridgway was picked the best but let the players decide!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrades to Giles they earned it!!!

Great season for Etown!!!!! Nobody thought the game would be close and it was. The matchup killed Ridgway that was the lowest scoring by ridgway all year.

Please explain to me how a team can go an entire game with out stepping to the line.

look at the stats of the Ridgeway - Giles game and look at the fouls. Not one shot by either team in the first half and then 18 ?? in the second half by one team.

I think that Ridgeway did and excellant job just staying in the game Good thing Giles missed or it wouldnt have been as close.

I think that Giles played an excellant game and I'm not taking anything away from them because the Refs good or bad are part of the make up of a game you have to learn to play with it and I think Ridgeway did just that.

Guest TheRookieFan

NightStalker sounds like you know how the system works in your area!!!! A friend of mine refs and he said they are picked by their association and TSSAA. I hope they pick the best. The games I saw this pass week, I though they did a good job, but my teams were not playing, that does make a differance. I saw a few bad calls but overall I thought they did OK. I a fan that loves to see good basketball and last week, I saw some good basketball.!!!!!!!! :)

the best refs do not get picked. If you were a ref that was in the tourney last year you cannot go. I know in east tn they just get a new guy every year and that is crap. They need to pick the best refs by letting the coaches rate the refs in there district and that is how they should get to the state tourney.