Riverdale..Just a Local Powerhouse

WarriorFan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being from Florida originally, I can say they have a much deeper talent pool than Tn ( a larger pop. helps this) . However what RHS has done is been an amazing run.( Consider they have to split players with 3 other boro schools) Who cares if they are #1 in the nation , all they want is #1 in the state. Your argument Brandon could be applied to all 1A-4A state champs, should have to play the 5A champ to see if they are really #1 in the state of TN....Bottom line they have state title rings and fond memories, what do you have?

Actually, RustyNail, when I was at BA, we had a 53-2 record and three state title rings. BA has a total of 10 State Runner-up trophies and 9 State Championship trophies. Since football did not start at BA until 1971, in 31 seasons, my school has been to the "dance" 19 times. The only school that comes close is Maryville with 10 times to the "dance". Riverdale has gone to only 7 "dances". Oakland has been 4 times, and Lincoln Co. and Jefferson Co. have only been 3 times. Now what does your school have? :)

[Edited by Brandon100 on 4-7-03 12:43P]

Brandon100, you made a comment about Pat Summit and how the Lady Vols are a powerhouse because they play out of state. They have to play out of state because there aren't many D-1

schools in Tennessee and all COLLEGES play out of state just about every game. You got to remember that Riverdale is just a HIGH SCHOOL.

And another thing, according to the magazine, Tennessee High School Football Preview 2002, there are only 7 teams in D-2 AAA, and 2 of those are BA and MBA. So that means that each team only has 6 teams to try to surpass. Now if you look at D-1 AAAAA, there are over 60 teams. What I am saying is that it is much harder to get to the Blue Cross Bowl than it is to get to the Clinic Bowl. You have to win 4 playoff games to get to the Blue Cross Bowl compared to winning 2 to get to the Clinic Bowl.

[Edited by bhsOL on 4-7-03 1:19P]

OK, I have avoided getting in this conversation for a while. I absolutely can't stand Rankin or some of the things he has done. I am from a former distict opponent of Riverdale's. I really don't like them. With that said......

It doesn't matter if they have beaten teams from out-of-state. They have dominated all of the teams from Tennessee and that trumps any teams that do travel. Also, those of you arguing that all of these 1A and 2A schools could beat them simply haven't played at this level. 5A football may not have the community support at times, but the talent is SO much higher at this level, there is no way. You don't get a ring for winning some AP or USAToday poll, you get one for winning the Clinic Bowl or whatever they call it now.

Brandon,

My father played at Valdosta and I have seen several games at Bayzemore stadium. I have never seen anything so intimidating as when Randall Godfrey led his team out of that tunnel. All the helmets banging and the wildcat screaming, its truly amazing. If you are ever in south Georgia in the fall, try to stop by and see a game. It is worth the trip. (especially if you can catch the Lowndes, Warner Robbins, or Lincoln games)

Brandon100, you are an idiot. I'm sorry, I try to be nice on here, but you have enraged me. There is NO WHERE that says in order to be considered a "powerhouse" that one must play teams outside of the state. If you defeat the teams in your state as Riverdale has done, you are a powerhouse. Ask anyone in 5A football who they fear the most and I'm sure 75 to 80% of them would say Riverdale. I can say I do. I'm glad for now that Franklin would never have to play them until the finals. Coach Rankin has established an amazing program even as multiple schools open in the 'Boro. Riverdale should be respected for what they are: one of the best high schools in Tennessee when it comes to football. Anyone who dares to disagree with this is purely ignorant. And yes, I have a plus membership Brandon100 so don't say anyhting about that. I don't know who died and made you able to denounce people because of that. It would really make me want to get one, let me tell you. (Although, guys, you really should get one, it's great!)

Let's all calm down.

The honest truth is, when CPA won the title in 2000 people were saying, well they didn't play any one that was as difficult as a 5A schedule. Maybe Brandon100 is saying that Riverdale should step out of the state. His Eagles have done so many times, and sometimes they are successful, and sometimes they aren't...BA has to play some mandatory games that they can't avoid besides their regular season games which is probably like 5. Then they are forced to play 2 games against D2-AA teams (they played Briarcrest and Harding and probably won by a combined 100 points over 4 games)...so that leaves 3 games left at the most (they might play more than 5 district games...Ryan, MBA, CBHS, MUS, McCallie, Baylor are in the Super 7, I assume one is left out) and they play BHS to start out with. So that just leaves two other games and they went to KY earlier this year to play.