Knox Central's Allen resigns

clipper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clipper:

I simply ask some questions about some info I had heard in the community that may be interferring with Centrals ability to have a basketball program that is as competitive as the football program and you supported my statements by your initial post in saying that "I am not sure that some friction between the head football and basketball coaches might have been going on." But you also said there were many football players on the b-ball team which discredits some of the info I have heard. As far as coaching If I wasn't so old I would certainly be more than qualified. As far as recruiting I wouldn't have to the football team could take care of that. : B):(:)

Guest blue1

It seems with Centrals success in football there would be some carry over to Basketball. If I am not mistaken in Carringers latter years and Killians 1 st. couple of years early to mid 90's the Basketball team did have some success. I also recall that the football program was down during this time. Weren't they 0 and 10 in 96? I believe they started a freshman Q.B. that year that transfered from the Gibbs zone. Point being when the roundballers are doing well the football program seems to be down and when the football team gets on a roll the b-ball team takes a vacation. Any way back to round ball. Central should be a good job. Plenty of homegrown talent plus they can take transfers from other zones. A good coach could take advantage of that. Look for Flatford to be in the hunt. Also Mitchell from L.C., Barnes form Ga. / Onieda, Majors from Fulton. I don't think the guy from South Doyle will be interested because it would be a lateral move. Can't see them hire the girls coach because then they will have to hire a girls coach because I don't believe the Principals will let him coach both. Also regardless of how good he is the perception is he is a girls coach. I think the community will demand a search for the best possible canidate. :D:D:D

In reference to the girls' coach not being able to do the job on the boys' side, allow me to give you a little background on one J.D. Lambert.

Lambert worked under Mike Duffie at Morristown East for several seasons as the number one assistant on the boys' team before assisting Rick Sinard at Jefferson County for several seasons.

He took over at JCHS for Sinard and despite not having an abundance did a wonderful job. His players played their rear ends off for him and respected him greatly.

Lambert was then railroaded (politics) out of that job before quickly being snapped up by Walters State women's head basketball coach Dave Kragel.

He helped Kragel for one season before accepting the head girls' coaching position at Knox Central.

Even though I don't have a child, I would be thrilled beyond words to have Coach Lambert teach my child the game of basketball.

[Edited by DodgerSS on 4-7-03 2:22P]

Guest blue1

Dodger Didn't say he couldn't coach. But sometimes people have a perception that leads them to believe that there are girls coaches and there are boys coaches. Also it is very different coaching boys as compared to girls. Believe me I have done both and the transition isn't an easy one.

Guest blue1

I hope he gets it if he is the most qualified canidate for the job. The last time Central hired a coach they didn't look very far and I don't feel they made an effort to hire the best possible canidate. Matter in fact I am not sure they took the time to make a very extensive search. Central is to good of an oppportunity to build a program for the administration to just settle on a canidate just because he/she is convienent , in the building, or has the right certification. That is not to say that Lambert isn't going to be the most qualified. At this point I have heard that there has been at least 5 individuals that have shown interest in the position. I also heard at work last night that a former assistant at Bearden high school was seen talking with Mr. Dunlap last week and Mr. Dunlap was showing him around the school. As I have said before Central needs a quality coach that will be able to take the talent on campus and build a program. :):o:)

Blue, very interesting suggestions on the possible candidates. Do you think that is Mitch Mitchell from Lenior City, or Eric Mitchell from Loudon? Both quality coaches. I know that Gary Barnes would be a great hire. However, Mark Majors is a very good coach also. Competitive field...just the way it should be.