Oak Ridge and Lussier

Beagleboy

Spring practice begins in Oak Ridge on April 28 and lets all hope that from here on out we don't have to read what's wrong with the Oak Ridge program from people outside the OR family. It is interesting to read what other people outside think of the program and I know there are some problems right now but I think there is talent here and they can win a ton of games this year. It is my hope the fans that once supported the program will give the kids a chance.

The Heritage coach saying that the Oak Ridge Coaches didn't shake their hands after the 2001 game shocked me. It shocked me so much that I went back and looked at the tape. What I saw on that tape was a major celebration taking place between the players. coaches and many many students. I am not making excuses for the staff but it looked like the coaches at the end of the game were caught up in that well deserved celebration. If the OR coaches didn't shake hands because they had just lost, then that is totally wrong and I would be embarrassed for the program. I don't think that was the case though. Good Luck to everybody this season.

[Edited by DCCATVOICE on 4-10-03 12:56P]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about everyone talk on Friday nights cheering at the ball games instead of downing the program and coaches. You need to support the children instead of downing the people they have to listen to and respect. How can a child respect someone that the adults do not? Just try to back the team up if you are really a WILDCAT FAN. Another thing, you go and try to coach a child now days. :rolleyes:

I am the Heritage coach that made the comment about Lussier and his staff not shaking hands. Allan Pratt and John McBrayer were the only ones who shook my hand. We all walked to straight to Lussier and two other members of his staff. Lussier and his staff looked me directly in the eye, folded their arms, and looked away. That is the sad truth. I hate that might reflect on OR. OR is almost a year to year powerhouse where good football is played.

Coach, I work with two of the members of the Oak Ridge football team from that season and two of the main kids on this past team. Johnathan Walls and Kevin McKeethan. Both were all region players for Oak Ridge this season. I first heard that story this season from "Goose" at the Region Basketball tournament. He is one of your fellow coaches as you know and he was also sitting with another coach. If you ask them, I told these kids to go up there and shake their hands and they did that. I take pride in my high school and so do these kids. Please don't judge our city,team and parents by this event. I really don't believe this happened the way your remembered it to happen because the coaches on this staff conduct themselves with class. Thanks for the kind words about the program and we look forward to seeing you and Coach C this year over there.

[Edited by DCCATVOICE on 4-11-03 1:16P]

The Cats died in 2000 when we came down there and beat them 32-6 in the playoffs. "Superstud" Porter was mauled all night. The coaches were cheating and still couldn't keep it close. Adonis Johnson rushed for 280 yds (or something like that) and 4 tds. OR coaches were were listening to our headphone frequency and our coaches called a reverse on the headset and a fake reverse on the field. Every OR player flew to the reverse as Johnson raced 75 yds up the other sideline. NOthing against OR (I thought the most of the players were classy), but some of their coaches have some problems because the headset incident is not an isolated event.

[Edited by DBIndian99 on 4-11-03 12:34P]

First, I remember those kids and they were tough guys. Second, there is no way that I or anyone else would judge a school, kids, or parents by the actions of a very small group of about 4 or 5. Oak Ridge has a rich history of football and community. I would coach there if some of those guys would leave. I look forward to seeing you guys in the fall.

This thread has really become a hot topic on this site in terms of viewing. I will say this one more time. After watching the Heritage vs Oak Ridge tape from 2001. I do not see what you are saying about the Oak Ridge Coaches not shaking the hands of the Heritage staff. It is not my place to defend these professionals but I believe you are not remembering this event the way it played out. I have the tape and if anybody out there wants a copy I will make sure its copied and sent to you. As for the DB remark about headsetgate. Anybody that knows anything about wireless communications will tell you this can happen anytime. If Oak Ridge could hear DB then that also means the DB could hear Oak Ridge.. What a great game it is though.

Actually a fan from DB notified DB's coaches that an Oak Ridge person was on the sideline telling the coach DB's play. As soon as DB quit transmitting, the game got out of hand. Oak Ridge got romped from then on. By the way, Oak Ridge never stomped DB when they were #1. DB was # 1, Oak Ridge came to Kingsport and won 10-6 or 10-7. I know it was not more than 4 points though. The entire game was close, and then DB crushed Oak Ridge in the playoffs 32-6. Key element, no scanners could be used because DB learned the headset trick.