Oak Ridge and Lussier

Beagleboy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oak Ridge went 8-2 and went to the 2nd round of the playoffs. They lost to Anderson Co., Ootelewah amd Dobbyns Bennett, three pretty good football teams. I agree with Billygoat, Oak Ridge is just like everyone else. They are subject to the same talent cycles as everyone else. When you've got talent you're gonna win, when you don't you lose. As a former coaching associate once said "It ain't the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's that win games". It's obvious they've got some talent and coaching or they wouldn't have won 9 games. It's just that there are other teams out there with talent and coaching too. Give 'em some credit.

Football isn't the only sport where the coaches @ OR refuse to shake hands if they lose. The girl's basketball coaches will not shake the coaches or the player's hands if they lose and some of the players are learning by example. This is sad. Any team on any given day can lose. No one sets out that day to lose, but neither is OR immune from it happening to them. Show some class. What is the quote about being gracious in defeat?

At the end of every football season, some of the Oak Ridge football fans start complaining about something. If it's not the coaches its something else and they always want change. I'm surprised you guys have been quiet this long. If I were the head coach there I would be searching for a more pleasant place to work. It seems even when you go 7-3 in the regular season, it's just not good enough. I'm convinced you guys could win the state championship and someone would complain!

caesar you are right if OR won the state championship with these jokes of coaching there would still be complaining in the "Ridge". Until the staff is revamped with coaches who really care about each and every player instead of the ones who leave hickies on their feet they won't win anyway. Sure they won some games last year but who did they beat when it counted???nota

Traditonally, Oak Ridge is loaded with talent. What I've always respected about their players is the way they fight on the field. I know one thing is for sure, if you are not ready to play, they will whip anyone. They have a lot of pride and tradition, and personally, I love playing over there. Playing at places like O.Ridge and DB is what is special about high school football-the kids will be talking about it when they are dads. We chose to play Oak Ridge every season even though we don't have to(non-region). Playing them early let's you know what kind of fighters you have and who can make plays for your team. We were fortunate enough to beat them in the quarterfinals in 99 and the season opener in 2000, the one in 99 flooded our kids with confidence that allowed us to run completely wild on Oakland in the semis and outlast Glencliff in the finals. I hope Oak Ridge remains to be dominant and keep that swagger, because as a coach, I love Oak Ridge week. I'd rather play them any day than to schedule an easy win.

Thumbs up CATPACK the true Oak Ridge community of former players, boosters, continue to hear pathetic stories that will tarnish the great tradition set forth in OR. Mr. Ego and Pigboy will be there yet another year "winging it" running the best tailback in the state sideline to sideline.

Did PB not get the "HEAD " job somewhere else AGAIN this year??

I want to thank boo for letting me use his board to post a message. I really enjoy this site. I never got on it because I'm a coach and I feel it is for the fans and players. Tlove said it best. I am a former Oak Ridge ball player. I actually played for coach Lussier. He was the defensive coordinator. I didn't have dealings with him much because I played WR/DB. One thing I can say about Lussier is you learn to appreciate him when you get older. When I was getting recruited by Kentucky Wildcats I went on a visit. My host was former OR receiver Alfred Jones. He told me that I will really appreciate Coach Lussier later. Because Lussier is about business. That is his style. Not much in jovial manner. About business. Players that played with me would say he was always in a "New York" state of mind. Everything is serious. I don't agree with the wing T. I think the coaches could and should be more personal with their players and families. There coaching staff tend to isolate themselves from the kids and parents. When we played we would have Wildcat day at Ms. Brown's house. I can remember my first year as a Wildcat. That day I really felt as though I belonged to the Almighty oak Ridge Wildcats. From the age of 5 years old you and your parents "used to" dream of you one day wearing the cardinal and grey and walking down the steps. Lussier is very personable one on one. I know. A lot of people sometime confuse reality for pessimism. Lussier is a realist. Whether you want to hear it are not. Everyone has an opinion. Everyone seems to know what is right for the OR program. I can tell you (remember I am a coach and matter of fact recently won a state championship) parents, players, fans, haters, etc. you have to be exactly in the program before you know what is going on in the program. Parents-you sometimes have an opinion before knowing what little johnny has done to sit him on the bench. fan -every play drawn up is for a touchdown if it is executed correctly. Lussier is not the first coach at oak Ridge that may have alternatives to his scheme that may seem better. Sure Booker would be a great I tailback. But so would have Jamie Redmond (1988). The reason we didn't put him in the eye is we didn't have the QB to put together a passing attack. Maybe OR runs the wing T because their line is built for the wing T. Are maybe thats all the coach knows. And knowing something well is better than trying something you don't know. Once again thanks boo.