BA-MBA

BiggestElk

To all BA fans:

I am a senior on the varsity track team at MBA. I know that we have a meet with BA and BGA tomorrow (Tues. 15th). I hope we both get a lot of people from both schools to qualify for state so we can get high places at state. Yes, our distance team is carrying most of the team - but we are getting better as the year goes on. BA has shown they are game this year, and that they want to beat us, but we also want to beat them just as bad. Let's just let it play out on the track (and field), and not let a quote in the newspaper get in the way of the two good teams

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesnt pertain to track and field, but during the basketball season a Coach here in Cleveland at one of our local schools was quoted in the local paper after a disappointing loss as saying "My girls might have been outplayed, but I was NEVER outcoached".............what kind of Coach would say something like that? Cracks me up- :)

Charlie Harper is a class act. I have always felt you can judge a man by how he acts when he doesn't win. I had the priviledge of being around Coach Harper on a few of the rare pre-division 2 occassions when BA finished second. Guess what? He acted the same way then as he did the many times they came out on top. He is humble in victory and gracious in defeat. (And you always know when his teams finish second-they will work their tails off to get back on top as soon as possible.)

Robert Pruitt is a good man. He likes to joke and cut up. He will make smart comments, but they must be taken with a grain of salt.

Both of these men are fierce competitors who get a lot out of their teams. The quote was unfortunate, but I have a feeling that Robert had that sly smile on his face when (and if) he made that statement. I wish the reporter had used better judgement.

It will be fun to see these 2 teams go head to head at their sectional meet and the state meet-although BGA has some athletes who could cut into the number of kids they get to the state meet.

[Edited by tackle on 4-15-03 11:39A]

Harry, best of luck to you in the track meet. I must say, though, that this discussion concerns more than just a simple "quote in the newspaper." Pruitt's seemingly menial sentence promotes a stereotype of Montgomery Bell Academy that I feel is inaccurate and very negative: that MBA is full of arrogant premadonnas. Do I believe this? Certainly not, though every school has its share. But I am concerned that Robert Pruitt provided hot fuel for those who dislike MBA, whether out of jealousy or a lack of admiration. Though I sincerely believe that the coach's words were in jest, I question his wisdom in taking this facetious jab. It was unnecessary at the least, but was most definitely demeaning and arrogant, whether intentional or not. I am asking that Robert Pruitt submit an apology for his quip, and would request that he refrain from such jokes when talking to newspaper reporters in the future. You'd think that an MBA educator would possess the wisdom to choose his words carefully when talking to the media. I hope he does so in the future.

Guest kenwoodrun

Just wanted everyone to know...at practice today, before we ran our set of 800s, I distributed salt shakers to each of our kids, instructing them to throw the salt over their shoulder at every 400m split. Barring the appearance of any black cats or the accidental breaking of any mirrors, I'm sure we'll be unstoppable from now on. I've got this superstition thing down to a SCIENCE! Now, can someone tell me how to practice luck? Once I figure out how to put both luck AND superstition together, I will unraveled BA's long-kept secret formula for success. Soon we will be able to hang with BA after being killed by them for many a' year. Coach Harper, your secret is out...and we're on to you. No more skill or science for us. :D

Ok, that's my attempt at humor for the day!!!

BA must have got the message - cause they came to our school, along with BGA, and beat us by the worse margin they have beat us since we had a track. Granted we did not throw any shot putters, and the pole vaulters stopped at 12', not to mention resting our top sprinters - - BA didn't use Bumbi, McTorry, or T Hart much. BGA gave great effort and showed that they will be in contention in the region - still should be very interesting - other wise I set two personal bests in the HJ and 100. The D2 middle region has proved a very formidable and deep region, which is very good for a region that includes only 8 schools I think. We'll be back for region and state, I promise.

Harry, did MBA run most of its varsity guys? BA rested some of its top runners. Still, I'm proud of the Eagles for using their "luck" to their advantage once again! I can assure you that EVERY SINGLE Brentwood Academy runner (and most every student) knows about the article. If they needed any motivation, they got it. I'm sure it was a good meet, though, and I wish I'd been able to go.

[Edited by WesVols on 4-15-03 9:26P]