Maryville O-Line for 03

bigreb

I think Maryville's line will be all right, everyone that will be playing line this year got playing time, atleast half a game for atleast 90 percent of the games last season. I think the biggest question mark is linebacker. Another big one is reciever we have one reciever that is proven, but do we have two more that can take the pressure off of Gaskin? We have Harris and we have Clement, but I really haven't seen a ton out of those two talent wise. They may get the job done, but I didn't really like what I saw from them last year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A very talented alcoa team might have their way with the rebs this yr"?????????????

JPATS that has not happend the last 10 years and I would not think it will happen next year. Coach E will have those young men clicking and with the size of the Jr. class the 03 and 04 line should be bigger, stronger and movitated enough to get this team deep in the play-offs. Besides Coach Reid is going to busy theaching his charges how to tie thier shoes as he tries to get that speed to fit that WB play book. All is well in Murville!!!!!! Go Rebs

"A very talented alcoa team might have their way with the rebs this yr"?????????????

JPATS that has not happend the last 10 years and I would not think it will happen next year. Coach E will have those young men clicking and with the size of the Jr. class the 03 and 04 line should be bigger, stronger and movitated enough to get this team deep in the play-offs. Besides Coach Reid is going to busy theaching his charges how to tie thier shoes as he tries to get that speed to fit that WB play book. All is well in Murville!!!!!! Go Rebs

uh, sorry to correct you flyinpro but alcoa did have its way with maryville in 2000 (14-7).

JPATS get real. Generally when one team "has it's way" with another they generally dominate them and do what they want with them. in 2000 Maryville beat alcoa everywhere but on the scoreboard. more than doubled their yardage held them to under 100 yards of offense. Granted it is the final score that counts but i certainly would not say they "had their way" with maryville that year.

JPATS get real. Generally when one team "has it's way" with another they generally dominate them and do what they want with them. in 2000 Maryville beat alcoa everywhere but on the scoreboard. more than doubled their yardage held them to under 100 yards of offense. Granted it is the final score that counts but i certainly would not say they "had their way" with maryville that year.

however, alcoa won. furthermore, that game will always be special--the first matchup between maryville and alcoa in the new mil.

when we beat maryville in 2000, we were out gained in yards, and just about every aspect of the game except 3: big plays, turnovers, and the scoreboard. we made the plays when we had to, we didnt turn the ball over, and we won, 14-7. our defense ended up being the 3rd best in the state regardless of classification at the end of the year. we showed our "bend but dont break" defense early in the year, and that's how it ended up, w/us stopping 2A Mr Football on the 1/2 yard line w/ 19 seconds remaining. granted, we won the game on the scoreboard, which is all that matter; but we, alcoa, i no way "had our way" w/maryville. we made more big plays than them, that's why we won the game. you know your defense is playing great when you can get 3 first downs in a game and still win!!!

Kyle Harris is a Junior at Maryville College, but his brother Kurt is on the team. Alcoa needs some hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza if they want to do anything. These kids look like the south park christmas special in Zimbabwe. They are so scrawny, sure they may have talent, but these kids need some size if they want to beat anyone. But anyway, they Maryville O-line is in good hands and is a big one, they wont have much trouble this year.

• 1 month later...

The line is going to be just as good as past years. No one needs to say anything about the line unless you have been at the practices, and they look good right now. The line is gonna be even bigger. Right now the coaches are still trying to fan out some of the kids that are going both ways, but if thats what they gotta do to have sucess, thats what their gonna do. Chris Large is a monster. He is not at tall as Waters was, but he is definitly bigger. Even though Brandon Waters was a great center, i really belive Large can be as good or better. Jimmy Wallace has a couple games under his sleeve, becuase of Eubanks injury last year, and Jimmy did a great job! Now if you were to look at John Roulston with street clothes on, you wouldn't belive he played o- line, he just had great fundamentals and was physical. The o- line will be good for Maryville, it might take them a couple games, but when all is said and done Maryville will have a 4th ring. And when you got a coach like coach Ellis, you know the line is gonna be good. Go Rebs :)

What about Corey Everett, or did he graduate?

In any case, I'm going to Maryville's scrimmage with Oak Ridge next Friday in order to get my first good look at the team and the offensive line. Anybody here coming, too? Personally I think Maryville will be fine on offense - it's the defense that concerns me. I don't think we've ever had a smaller linebacking corps in all the time I've been here, not to mention the cornerbacks will have to give up about 2-3 inches to most of the receivers in 3-4A. Our defensive line will be our only real strength this year on that side, I think.

Despite my concerns, though, I do have confidence that we should get to the playoffs, mostly because of our friendly schedule. Our first 6 games are all in Blount County, 4 at home, at least four of the games should be against weak opponents, and we get a bye week two weeks before we've got to play at Knoxville Central. Not bad.

I'm fairly sure that our offensive line should be dominating by that point (and they'll definitely need to be against that defense of the Bobcats.)

Go Rebels. :)