I am now one sided.....

Time2Play

Until recently I have not been able to decide how I completely feel about the whole public vs. private. However, I have been noticing a school bus from a Private school in another county picking up kids within the county I live in. They have also offered to do the same for my cousin if she would come there and play softball (is that not recruiting?). I work in a public system and we are not allowed to cross county lines with our school buses and pick kids from other counties up to play ball at our school. So therefore it is my opinion that publics and privates should be split until we all have to follow the same rules. I have chose not to mention the private school because it is not my intention to try to report anyone or start something on another school. Private message me if you would like and I will be happy to discuss it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to Tennessee. I grew up in S. Illinois, went to college in Arkansas and have worked in GA, FL and TN. From an outsiders perspective, I am appalled that the TSSAA is even contemplating splitting out the publics and privates, much less doing it. From strictly a fans perspective, this is very bad for high school football in this state. I personally want to see the best play the best, period.

Frankly, there is too much envy going on here that will, in the long run, hurt the sport of football in this state.

Given that, I am sympathetic to the plight of small town schools having to compete with metro area privates. It is a problem. However, I think if you look at Georgia's experience with the multiplier, that is the better solution. In other words, put the privates with the bigger schools.

Posted by Time2Play:

Until recently I have not been able to decide how I completely feel about the whole public vs. private. However, I have been noticing a school bus from a Private school in another county picking up kids within the county I live in. They have also offered to do the same for my cousin if she would come there and play softball (is that not recruiting?). I work in a public system and we are not allowed to cross county lines with our school buses and pick kids from other counties up to play ball at our school. So therefore it is my opinion that publics and privates should be split until we all have to follow the same rules. I have chose not to mention the private school because it is not my intention to try to report anyone or start something on another school. Private message me if you would like and I will be happy to discuss it.

Time2Play...You have fallen to the public vendetta against private schools. Obviously if it is legal for a private school to transport kids over county lines and public schools can`t, then it is a somewhat advantage. BUT if this is an unfair advantage, then why not just propose that kids transported by school buses by a private school be ineligible to participate in sports? We went through this in the first attempt by the public schools to overthrow the privates with the student aid thing. We have several privates schools who elected to abide by this rule and not allow ant student who recieved finacial aid to play sports. Now we are getting round two! What`s the need to split?

If a rule is unfair then let`s change it. Private schools have open zones, yet so do many public schools. Why would you want a split if this issue of picking up kids across a county line is so important? Just change that particular portion of the rule. That`s not too hard and doesn`t take much thought.

Time2 Play...don`t fall into this vendetta against private schools.

VG wrote: then why not just propose that kids transported by school buses by a private school be ineligible to participate in sports?

Because then, VG, all of the sudden the good athletes would mysteriously begin car pooling or finding a way to school via some "private" (no pun intended) non "school bus" source.