Top 5 Head Coaches in East Tennessee

tlove13

one or two years does not in my opinion, give one creditionals to be categorized as one of the best. Look over the long haul at the coaches that have sustained winning and competitive programs. They may not win a state championship every year but consistently produce good quality teams, and win more than they lose, regardless of classification. There will be defining moments in a coach's career that may elevate them or deflate them. Like Coach Quarles Maryville Team this year, prevailing over a team in the championship game that was ,in many people's mind ,superior in athletic talent. Look at coaching records of coaches that have coached ten years or more and see what that have been able to accomplish before you start sorting out the "great Ones".

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

What is really unbelievable is the fact that no one has mentioned Coach Satterfield from Trousdale County. Another thing is the fact that in the early 90's no one thought Coach Turner at Kirkland was a good coach, but all of a sudden he's a good coach. I am not disputing that fact, because he was up against a lot at Kirkland. You all on this board are really funny reading your posts.

Rider wasn't that great.

My uncle played for him and he played his son who sucked at running back.

You remember Ken Shipley. You might not because he was busy chillin on the sidelines when Riders' boy was getting time because he was the coaches son!

He split time and he always had longer runs and better stats when he was in but I guess Daddy didn't want his boy to get overshadowed.

I don't post alot, but I'd like to put my 2 cents in here. Though I am a Boyd fan, I have seen Boyd Buchanan come from the depths and become the quality team they are today. Coach Akins is a big reason for that. This man took a team that was used to losing and never making it to the playoffs and took them there the first year. His first Boyd team went 11-1, had a perfect regular season, and lost in the 2nd round to BGA. That was 1996. He has now built this program up into the winning program it is today. People now come to every ballgame and expect to win. This was not the case not too long ago.

Now, before anyone on here starts saying, "Yeah, but they recruit and anyone can win when they recruit.", let me tell you that Coach Akins has done his magic without recruiting. It's kind of funny that some of these people weren't complaining about 10 years ago when everyone was beating BBS. Most of these kids have been brought up here at Boyd to get an education and their folks are paying for it. So before anyone goes off on the fact that Coach Akins uses "recruits", think again. The man is a quality coach with class.

BucBandwagon

I hate to say this being a fan of South Pittsburg (I also think our coach Vic Grider should get some mention) but Robert Akins of Boyd Buchanan's name has to be mentioned somewhere here. His overall win/loss totals aren't the best but ever since he has taken over at Boyd he has been one of the best coaches in the state. And it's not like he took over a power house. Boyd was the doormat (well, if not for Lookout Valley) of the region in football and he turned this program around into state contenders in no time. And he did it with what was at first no talent and he has not just played patsies, he has had some tough competition when he steps outside of region play.

Along with him, Satterfield of Trousdale County if you are counting them in east TN. His record there speaks for itself.