Best team in the State?

bigbluefan69

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, if someone mentioned Smyrna as being one of the best teams in the state, well they have issues. Though they do have that awesome QB.

Sometimes your statement is correct, that those 4A and D-II teams could "whoop up on" some of the 5A schools. But we'll never know because of the classification system. We'll always have multiple state champions. We'll never know who would beat who unless they play. And woah, some years, even the team that is supposed to win the state championship doesn't... this is why they play the game. But, 5A is the highest classification and so it is common to say that the team that wins 5A is the best team in the state. This isn't always true, but most of the time it is.

Sometimes we do get to find out who is better. Sometimes, a 5A team screws up and schedules a DII AAA team. Like last year! I seem to remember that the runner up DII AAA team (Brentwood Academy) beat the winning 5A school (Brentwood High School) last year.

Short memory!!

And this was Week 0! Much changes between Week 0 and the end of the season. This is evident in every level of football. Take a look at the Titans last year, start 1-4 finish second in the AFC. I'm tired of you D-II AAA folk thinking y'all are so much better than everyone else in the state. Sometimes this is the case, sometimes it is not. I would have loved for your might Eagles to play Maryville. That wouldn't have been close I'm sure. But you can never know. As Antwan posted another thread, y'all blew out MBA in the regular season but what happened in the Clinic Bowl? I'm sure I don't need to remind you. One team will lose and the other team will win each time there is a battle on the grid-iron. You can never be too certain what the outcome will be. Therefore, you can only go by who's on top at the end of the year. Brentwood was a state champion, BA was NOT. Therefore the edge must be given to the Bruins.

I can't say that I agree with your thinking. BA and BHS played one game. BA won that game 17-7. By your thinking, Briarcrest was also better than BA last year because, despite their being blown out by BA, they were state champions and BA was not. While I agree that a lot changes from Week 0 and the state championship game, BA can still claim to have had a better team than BHS in 2002 because they won the only head to head meeting. :justwrestle:

No no, you misinterpreted what I said. Perhaps Briarcrest could have beaten the Div I AAA runner-up. But if you went with your little philisophy of what I was saying, then that would mean that hmm, David Lipscomb could have beaten BA and I wouldn't have said that ever. I'm not an idiot. There is a HUGE gap between the D-II AA teams and the D-II AAA teams so no, Briarcrest couldn't have beaten BA. But yes, Brentwood High surely could have. I stick to that.

This is what is great about HS football. Any team can beat any team on a given night. Many of you seem to have forgotten that BGA beat MBA last year as well. So, what does that mean?

It means that the MBA team battled through early adversity and became a solid football team at year's end. Yes, they were the best team in DII-AAA at the end of the year. The run that they had starting with the Ryan game was nothing short of amazing. They whipped McCallie, then avenged earlier losses to Baylor, MUS, and finally Brentwood Academy. It was an awesome run; maybe the best turn-around I have ever witnessed.

Everyone seems to talk about MBA and BA, but Baylor and several other schools will be returning decent teams this year like MBA returned last year. Anyone could take it.

Buckle it up and hit'em in the face.

Roll Red Roll

FlyBy