No Live Radio At Grundy Games

DelTavian

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the school has a right to set "policy", so long as it is not discriminatory (federal protected class), and as long as the policy has a valid and reasonable response to a concern....

and you are right.....as far as catching a person standing on the sidelines and calling the game, it would be difficult.....but if they did, and that person refused to stop, then he could be asked to leave, and if he refused, then he could be arrested for criminal trespass.........

I felt it best to remind those visiting Grundy County this season that Coach Colquette does not allow live radio at regular season games at Grundy County.

So you folks at Page, Sequatchie, Sequoyah and Walker Valley need to remind your radio people to come prepared to do tape delay.

This is a policy Coach Colquette has had for many years everywhere he's coached.

Keep in mind also that if you'd like to go over his head to try and get permission the Athletic Director is....Ken Colquette. The Principal is .... Ken Colquette.

So get out your tape recorders boys. There's no live broadcasts from Coalmont.

Del (who will be doing the PA this year and has also been given the Arn Anderson role in the pressbox. In case you don't know that means I'm the Enforcer. :) )

:) Del, Sequatchie County will be lucky to have Tape Delays this year the way things are going on the radio station in Dunlap its Terrible! :(

Since the new owners took over your lucky to even hear local news the guy tells Georgia, Cleveland & Chattanooga news before he tells anything local! :D

Most of it you already saw on the TV & they read alot of it I think from the Timed-Free Press. :D

I can't count all the elderly, handicapped and working football fans I have met over the past 14 years that rely on radio broadcasts.

I am sorry, but having a game on the radio or TV doesn't stop true fans from going. I have done all three of the media jobs for high school football and have never heard a fan say "Thank God you do those broadcasts...it saves me from paying admission."

I just wonder if a broadcast team could have made some negative remarks about the coach/AD/principal/savior there in the past? :)

First TSSAA does not charge radio for broadcast rights in playoffs. Second yes stations make money, however not nearly what you think. Phone charges, talent fees, sales comissions all add up. It is really more of a public service that stations do to give the grandparents and other fans who can not see their favorite team play

The TSSAA DOES NOT charge radio for playoff games. They DO charge cable TV. They charge them $200. Which is grounds for a good law suit if you ask me. If they're going to charge TV they should charge radio. They are the same. They sell local ads and get local has beens to to the broadcasts. I know. I've done both. They both make money off the game and they both should be charged.

If one of these cable stations would take the TSSAA to court radio would have to pay.....as they should.

Del.

I can't count all the elderly, handicapped and working football fans I have met over the past 14 years that rely on radio broadcasts.

I am sorry, but having a game on the radio or TV doesn't stop true fans from going. I have done all three of the media jobs for high school football and have never heard a fan say "Thank God you do those broadcasts...it saves me from paying admission."

I just wonder if a broadcast team could have made some negative remarks about the coach/AD/principal/savior there in the past? :)

I'm pretty sure Coach started the rule at Marion County and did it first to his own radio station folks. I'm also positive they didn't say anything bad about him to cause it.

His reason is legit. He's not saying that's the reason when he's actually doing it because of something else.

Again, I just want to make sure Page, Sequatchie, Sequoyah and Walker Valley have the word ahead of time so they can come prepared to do tape delay.

Del.

It is the worst thing that a school can do. Little does the coach know but he is hurting his own program. Since college coaches can not visit during the season, I have known more than one coach to listen to games to hear possible recuits. If a team is good their fans will come. If not they stay home. This is just one man showing his authority, which is his right.

I don't buy this one. Plus Grundy's only radio station is church wackos that don't believe in organized sports so they don't allow the games on their stations. And you can't pick up the station very far from here.

And if a coach want's something on a player they usually get film from the coach or our cable station.

I can't see radio helping recruiting much. After all they can't see the player on radio.

Del.

Live radio in no way affects the gates at high school games. Blackouts at the high school level are simply a thing of the past. There is no conclusive evidence that radio hurts gates. Television does. But there have ben no conclusive studies done at the high school level. And to tell the visiting team that they can't do a live broadcast is rediculous- especially if that high has to play you in a region contest.

I know in the play offs the TSSAA media govern all broadcasts. There is no blackout rule so any play off games at your facility can be aired live.

I can't tell you how mad the idea of black outs makes me. THere are so many factors that impact attendance- and simply having a radio broadcast on a rainy day does not impact attendance in any way. If people want to come, they will come. Period. If they aren't, then they won't come.

I argued against the whole blackout rule a couple of years ago. Some people simply like to make rules so that they can have something to enforce. As I said earlier, there is no concrete proof that radio has any impact what so ever on the gate revenues at a football game.

PLayoffs are governed by the rules of the TSSAA. Any station that has done AT LEAST 50% of a school or county's games can broadcast live throughout the playoffs. EVEN at Grundy. YOu might be able to black out in the regular season but you cannot in the post season.

Bottom line to all of this: Radio+bad weather=lower attendance can also be written as radio+bad weather=poor attendance=a whole bunch of bull.

Let's see some real figures- with everything taken into account before we ban live broadcasting.

Radio should not have to pay rights in the play offs. If you follow a school all season long you should be able to do their games.

Alabama charges about $100 per game, I believe, and not one cent of the post season rights fee goes to the host or involved schools. So whats the point anyway. I think someone is a little green with envy over the job that radio guys have.

TELEVISION AFFECTS GATES. RADIO DOES NOT. THAT'S WHY THERE IS A TELEVISION RIGHTS FEE.

Radio should not have to pay rights in the play offs.  If you follow a school all season long you should be able to do their games. 

Alabama charges about $100 per game, I believe, and not one cent of the post season rights fee goes to the host or involved schools.  So whats the point anyway.  I think someone is a  little green with envy over the job that radio guys have.

TELEVISION AFFECTS GATES.  RADIO DOES NOT.  THAT'S WHY THERE IS A TELEVISION RIGHTS FEE.

Green with envy? Are you in third grade or fourth?

I did radio for 2 years. Then that broadcast went to the new cable tv channel and I did that for 4-5 years. I'm going to do the PA this year. And I'm starting my 13th year doing newspaper. I'm not envious of anybody unless they're skinnier or have more money. (which is of course quite a few folks) Quite frankly I wouldn't want to do all that work again to get ready for games and chase stats during a game unless somebody paid me more than the job is worth.

Radio should pay just like TV. They both sell ads and make money off the games. They're making money off a product that the kids, coaches and boosters work to put out. Therefore they should pay to put back into the program.

Del.

Edited by DelTavian

Live radio in no way affects the gates at high school games. Blackouts at the high school level are simply a thing of the past. There is no conclusive evidence that radio hurts gates. Television does. But there have ben no conclusive studies done at the high school level. And to tell the visiting team that they can't do a live broadcast is rediculous- especially if that high has to play you in a region contest.

I know in the play offs the TSSAA media govern all broadcasts. There is no blackout rule so any play off games at your facility can be aired live.

I can't tell you how mad the idea of black outs makes me. THere are so many factors that impact attendance- and simply having a radio broadcast on a rainy day does not impact attendance in any way. If people want to come, they will come. Period. If they aren't, then they won't come.

I argued against the whole blackout rule a couple of years ago. Some people simply like to make rules so that they can have something to enforce. As I said earlier, there is no concrete proof that radio has any impact what so ever on the gate revenues at a football game.

PLayoffs are governed by the rules of the TSSAA. Any station that has done AT LEAST 50% of a school or county's games can broadcast live throughout the playoffs. EVEN at Grundy. YOu might be able to black out in the regular season but you cannot in the post season.

Bottom line to all of this: Radio+bad weather=lower attendance can also be written as radio+bad weather=poor attendance=a whole bunch of bull.

Let's see some real figures- with everything taken into account before we ban live broadcasting.

Please read my posts. I said that in playoff games the TSSAA overruled us and said the visiting school could do live radio. I didn't say we didn't allow live radio at playoff games. Just regular season.

Del.

It is a fact coaches listen. Several years ago Jim Ragland at TTU asked me about a player ironically at Marion Co. I had broadcasted a playoff game. He heard it. The kid was Brian Janaway. By the way he went to TTU. One of very few Marion or Grundy players I remember going on to college football.