Maryville 17 Oak Ridge 14

REBELRON

Quick points:

Typical OR: MHS killed them 2 years ago in a preseason scrimmage yet the newspaper and TV in OR had the Wildcats on top.

FACT: OR typically leaves starters in late, late in the scrimmage. If the kid (#23) that scored is varsity, what was he doing playing at the end of the scrimmage?

QUESTION: Why were #17 and #18 still in there at the end?

COMMENT: Suzie? Richard? Confirms what I suspected all along, Suzie is no Suzie at all!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OR has 1st and 2nd string offensive and defense, plus a JV squad that usually does scout team work. #23 is a second string halfback on varsity. At that time of the scrimmage both teams were mixing their squads pretty well, even though it was at the end of the Varsity action. JV squad took over 2 series after OR's first touchdown.However, I'm not going to quibble, it was a great scrimmage from a fan's standpoint. I should know, I was on the sideline working chains.

and I ask again: why were 17 and 18 still in the scrimmage in OR's last defensive set?

and forgive me for being trite, but were you the one who didn't know to lay down the chains when players were coming your direction, the one who was loud and obnoxious, or the quiet one in the white shirt?

and yes, this was a good day and probably a good scrimmage to watch from a fan's perspective. A scrimmage at Oak Ridge and Big Ed's pizza afterward make for a good match.

This is the best Oak Ridge team since '97. I don't think they have the linemen to go too deep in the playoffs, but they are good. And for all the quibbling on other posts, Oak Ridge is still a well coached team.

Sigh...

1. Why 17 and 18 were in there on the last d series is a question for the coaches to answer. Most all of the players in the last 2 series were JV.

2. I was the guy on the box, only obnoxious when son scored. :unsure:

3. I would agree, nothing like a ball game and Big Ed's. Hopefully, when Maryville moves up to 5-A you all will get to enjoy that a little more often.

4. No argument here. For us to go deep in the playoffs, the line will have to improve over the season.

I do wish the best for the Rebs, they are a great bunch of kids who still have a lot of talent. They should go far if not win it all again.

Good points ClemsonDad and boyfromsi. I guess there is some philosophical difference in coaching. When O.R.'s varsity had their best drive of the day (ending inside the MHS 5 yard line) and Booker and Gulmire had their most success, Hodge and Jeffrey Smith were on the sidelines. I guess Maryville coaches wanted to see what the second team DE's could do in that situation.

Goat, I'm thinking more along the lines of 1-9. Preseason success means nothing. I know every coach out there tells all their players to lay down and lose in pre-season. I guess that's what happened when Halls and Gibbs scrimmaged. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Hey Guys!

Okay, I longer have no more concerns about the Rebs' secondary, they're as solid as a group can be! Likewise with the DL.

The Linebackers however: I hope Everett and Parnell come back soon, because they need more playmaking ability there. Still, they held their own against an obviously explosive Wildcats offense and I am sure they will improve over the season.

Nonetheless I can't keep from wishing I had started playing football for MHS this year (I was a middle linebacker back-up behind Andrew Healy and Josh Theriot at MHS in the latter mid 90's.) Ah, well, bad timing and all that.

Go Rebs!

Phil

P.S. ClemsonDad, when did you start posting on CoachT? :unsure:

Edited by Philster043

Two things Richard, ummmmm I mean Suzie....... GQ will not go to Georgia to caach football unless it's at a the college level. GQ has a premium job in Tennessee. It's not so green on the other side of the fence......reference Hammontree, current status, and Coach Ellis that previously coached in Georgia.

Gaskin never played Grasshopper football because it didn't exist in Blount County then. The first year of Grasshopper football in Blount County was 1998. Two teams, Eagleton and Maryville had teams in the Knoxville City league in 1997. He did play Pee Wees and Midgets though. I'm sure that is what you ment.

I agree with your remaining comments.

Don't be mean.