Clarksville Football

bogie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if I heard right, the school board got together last night and passed on the budget without messing with sports. So we will have football in Clarksville this year. Whether or not they will still have them at night-time on friday, that is another story. I think there will be games as early as 4:00 in the afternoon!!!

skeebob,

I live right here in "old" downtown Clarksville and I am shocked at the response Of Kenwood's head football coach, Terry Arrington, on the channel 5 web site. If high school players play for the fun and for the "love of the game of football" why in the name of hominy grits can't coaches do the same.

That's exactly what these kids need now, someone who says they are going to boycott coaching. Their supplement is probably less than $5,000 now. They could make that much with a part-time job throughout the year. Come on coaches, such up your pride and do something for the good of your school, community, and the KIDS.

The Head Coaches are NOT the ones losing supplements - it's the assistants. The Head Coaches are doing this in support of their staffs. I know my family would feel the pain if my salary was cut 5K, or even 2K. And you're showing your ignorance by suggesting coaches 'get a part-time job'. Do you realize how much time high school coaches put in. During the season, it's roughly a 70-hour work week. Ask any coaches wife. The problem in Montgomery County is that too many wealthy landowners are running county government and a property tax increase comes at their expense. Period. The little man with a half-acre lot and house doesn't object to a mere 20-cent property tax increase. Somebody with a couple hundred acres of farm land, on the other hand. You do the math.

I have read and heard that one of the proposals for Montgomery County Schools was to play only their home games, that travel would not be payed for, and with liability issues, Kid's wouldn't be allowed to travel on their own to away games. THis would cause forfieting their away games. Would TSSAA allow teams based on financial issues to forfiet half thei games and still play home contests?

Doesn't seem right, nor fair to the teams who have to travel their and risk injury, versus teams that get the forfiet victory. Doubt that this is a viable answer to their problems.

Mothers fathers sisters brothers, support your student athlete, it seems like the coaches, teachers and principle not, some of these kids depend on sports to earn a scholarship, please lets not cut their throat so quick, give them a chance to achieve in sports and in the class room, wake up clarkville, and do the right thing. Money's will always be a problem, so use that college degree to solve the problem, because no one suffers but the student athlete, and everybody who follows high school sports knows and understand that, so when you make your decision make the right one. not a step back not a step forward, the right decisions, All these coaches tell these students to grow up and be good citizens, So who will be the first to be the example.........Please for your kids and the Clarksville community.

Clarksville coaches should boycott. They have been given a slap in the face. If any other profession was told they wouldn't be paid for their services, there would be no discussion. A walkout would certainly happen! This is not about right now as much as it is the future of all athletics in Montgomery Co. Yes, kids this year would suffer if the coaches refused to work for free. This is a political battle between the commissioners who promised more money 2 years ago to the school board, and the Director of Schools, who has made so many enemies on the commission that she is really in a "lame duck" status. Once again no one at the central office, administration, classroom, or anyone else is taking a paycut. Just the coaches, the men and women who spend more time each day and know more about the failures, success, and problems these kids have than many times even their parents! No support or faith is being put in these people and the lives they touch on a daily basis. So while the Director climbs in her caddilac or SUV or whatever she drives, and passes by projects and poverty to go to her suburban 150,000 dollar plus home, she can answer to these kids who she and her cronies have forsaken. I feel sure she has no children of her own that without athletics have nothing to feel good about. You see, she has no dog in the hunt and is playing SIM CITY with all of Clarksville. The money is there. Keep looking guys. You are close to the truth!

Boy this is a tough one! As a professional coach (meaning someone who earns his living coaching football and teaching high school), I understand the reasons behind the boycott. On the other hand, I also understand the feelings and desires of the parents and players. I would have a hard time not coaching and giving it my best, but I also know it would be hard for me to ask other coaches to put in the number of hours that I would under the same circumstances. As a coach, you want to be a professional and be respected and paid for your education, knowledge, and abilities; however, every man (or woman) who works in this business also does it for the kids and it is so hard to let them down! I'm glad I don't work in Montgomery County. :wacko:

The cost of backing out of the contracts would be more expensive than the cost of the buses for the team to the away games. The liability issue doesn't really exist because the TSSAA requires that each school pay a $5 per player fee to the state to cover the cost of catastrophic insurance for all players playing and traveling to sporting events.

Edited by ELA